Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stiffmeister
Hi there. Have a 1971 car. Having a motor from My old karmann ghia (t4). I would like to know what options I have in the clutch departement. The motor should be in the300-350 HP range and the nm that goes with it. Would like a clutch that handles the power but not to be overclutched IF you know what i meen. My own thoughts are like this! Have being looking at a double clutch from KEP but the dolt come in the 215 mm. Can I buy a flywheel for a wasserboxer and buy a 200 mm dubbleclutch and get it to work with My gearbox and starter. Thinking almost normal pedalpreasure but plenty grip and a bit smoothie engagement. Will not be a dragracing car but some trackdays and absolutely streetdriven. Car is probarbly a bit heavier then a original 914-4. Tires are t888 toyos 195-60-15. Please hela me out here and share your thoughts and experanses. Pardon My bad english
McMark
If I read that correctly you're installing the engine into a 914. So you'll need a 914 215mm flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. KEP has the stuff for that HP range and even though you're in Sweden, I would call them. They know their products and can give you the best advice on what to use.
Mark Henry
That HP out of a T4 is quite optimistic and when building remember the 914 is about handling over HP.
That said the 914 transmission will not handle drag race or hard launch starts for very long. First gear is weak and most of the V8 guys who launch hard often end up going with a stronger transmission solution.
Chris914n6
I have a Kennedy stage 2 228mm/9" on my swap. Bus size I think. Good for 320 hp or so. Clutchmasters kevlar sport disc.

914 transmission is maxed out around 300hp anyways.
Stiffmeister
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 20 2017, 07:54 AM) *

That HP out of a T4 is quite optimistic and when building remember the 914 is about handling over HP.
That said the 914 transmission will not handle drag race or hard launch starts for very long. First gear is weak and most of the V8 guys who launch hard often end up going with a stronger transmission solution.

Optimistic sure but proven menny times here in sweden over and over. That being said I know off the first gear problem but i dont have to boost IT in first gear. It's being rebuilt with intermediate plate and quaife diff. Perhaps I find the limit biggrin.gif maby I dont. I absolute agree with you..... It's a great handeling car!
Stiffmeister
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 20 2017, 08:04 AM) *

I have a Kennedy stage 2 228mm/9" on my swap. Bus size I think. Good for 320 hp or so. Clutchmasters kevlar sport disc.

914 transmission is maxed out around 300hp anyways.

How heavy is the pedalpreasure? 228mm. Did you change or modyfy your flywheel? Thank's for your input btw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.