Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I've just noticed the hoses from the charcoal canister to the engine have been cut (down in the front fender well). Is it necessary to replace these or can I get rid of the canister and hoses? Do I just plug the connections in the fan shroud and air intake if I do get rid of it?
Mike D.
Probably why you smell gasoline all the time biggrin.gif
914 RZ-1
After doing a bit of research it seems the canister keeps the gas smell out. So I think I will keep it. But I need to fix the lines.

Anyone got a source for the 12mm plastic line that goes along the rocker panel into the engine compartment? Couldn't find it at pelican. Could I just use fuel line?
VaccaRabite
Do you need it? No. Do you want it? Yes.

Zach
mgp4591
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Aug 20 2017, 05:24 PM) *

After doing a bit of research it seems the canister keeps the gas smell out. So I think I will keep it. But I need to fix the lines.

Anyone got a source for the 12mm plastic line that goes along the rocker panel into the engine compartment? Couldn't find it at pelican. Could I just use fuel line?

Fuel lines will work just fine.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Aug 20 2017, 03:24 PM) *

Yes, I've replaced mine with fuel lines...
JeffBowlsby
Try McMaster Carr
mepstein
Vacuum lines
Optimusglen
More necessary with a fuel system that has a feed and a return like stock. If you swap to carbs and cap the return there's less fuel churn and less fumes. I deleted mine and haven't noticed a gas smell once.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2017, 05:46 PM) *

Try McMaster Carr

Like this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-...tubing/=19142pq

There's a whole bunch of hose on the site. I picked fuel hose and just looked for something as close to 12mm [0.472"] ID as possible. That's either 7/16" (.4375) or 12/32" (0.468").

My FLAPS website didn't show the hose they sell by the foot. I'll have to go in. Problem is I need about 6-7 meters of this stuff, so I hope they have enough.

Anybody use the plastic tubing that can be had at Home Depot/Lowes? It's just fuel vapor (no gas); does the tubing need to be anything special, or will PVC work just fine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Aug 20 2017, 01:27 PM) *
can I get rid of the canister and hoses?

Do you like the smell of gasoline in the morning?
blink.gif

I removed mine some 12 years ago and that was one of the worst decisions i have made with that car to date.

It's on my list of things to fix ...
smash.gif
pete000
I think the Euro spec cars didnt run them?

My wife hates the smell of old german cars so I keep mine in to reduce the fuel smell. No benefit to remove it.
GeorgeRud
No benefit to removing them so why not minimize the gas smell? With all the modern fuel injected cars, folks have forgotten what carbs used to smell like. Modern ethanol laced fuels also contribute more smell due to their higher vapor pressure and lower boiling points.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 21 2017, 08:41 AM) *
With all the modern fuel injected cars, folks have forgotten what carbs used to smell like.

I have modern fuel injection and i get *lots* of gasoline smell without the charcoal canister system.
The smell comes from the tank overflow since that is where i routed the evap hose into when i removed the canister.

Anything over 1/2 tank of gas and you feel like you're sniffing gas straight out of the nozzle.
icon8.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2017, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 21 2017, 08:41 AM) *
With all the modern fuel injected cars, folks have forgotten what carbs used to smell like.

I have modern fuel injection and i get *lots* of gasoline smell without the charcoal canister system.
The smell comes from the tank overflow since that is where i routed the evap hose into when i removed the canister.

Anything over 1/2 tank of gas and you feel like you're sniffing gas straight out of the nozzle.
icon8.gif

Andy - just say the word and I'll send you parts. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
How would you run it to a rain hat weber /6, '74 conversion?
I have it plugged right now and this has got me thinking, but I'd have to relocate the canister.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 21 2017, 10:24 AM) *

I have it plugged right now and this has got me thinking, but I'd have to relocate the canister.

All you need is pressure which you should be able to get from the fan shroud on a /6 and then route the return to one of your rain hats.
There should be enough suction (even at idle) to suck in the fumes and burn them without generating more fuel smell in the engine compartment.

I've been thinking about doing exactly that and routing the return into the K&N air filter on my FI intake.
smile.gif
DRPHIL914
I have not had fumes ever since making sure the vent lines were clear and I refilled the canister with the new activated charcoal.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2017, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 21 2017, 10:24 AM) *

All you need is pressure which you should be able to get from the fan shroud on a /6 and then route the return to one of your rain hats.
There should be enough suction (even at idle) to suck in the fumes and burn them without generating more fuel smell in the engine compartment.

I've been thinking about doing exactly that and routing the return into the K&N air filter on my FI intake.
smile.gif

Sounds easy enough,
To do list...it's always one line scratched off, two more lines added... huh.gif rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.