Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light wiring connector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jameel
Working on my fogs and found this connector. It's a 3M. Looks like a giant Scotch Lock connector like I use for telephony connections outdoors. Makes sense given the wet location. Is it stock? And if I rewire these, are they still available? I'm thinking of putting some Cibie Iodes instead, with a custom bracket, so considering my options.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Not stock. A DAPO modification.
Jameel
DAPO? Feeling like an idiot for asking...
914Sixer
DAPO: Dumb Ass Previous Owner headbang.gif
porschetub
Honest those connectors are a pet hate of mine,replace them with push pin male and female connectors and solder and heatshrink the connectors ok,you will be good biggrin.gif .
McMark
Oddly enough, the factory had to disassemble the fog lights to install them... wacko.gif

There are plenty of other connectors out there that would handle this just as well without looking so out of place. But the original setup isn't that bad. You really shouldn't be removing foglights all that much anyway. So if it were me, I would just resplice the wire ends, heatshrink with an adhesive lined shrink tube, and if you ever have to remove the fog lights, you can just do it the way the factory did.
Jameel
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 21 2017, 02:11 PM) *

DAPO: Dumb Ass Previous Owner headbang.gif

Aha. Thanks for that.

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 21 2017, 04:05 PM) *

Honest those connectors are a pet hate of mine,replace them with push pin male and female connectors and solder and heatshrink the connectors ok,you will be good biggrin.gif .

I thought they actually looked fairly neat compared to a lot of the hack work I've run into. That said, they are off the car now. Thanks.

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 22 2017, 04:11 AM) *

Oddly enough, the factory had to disassemble the fog lights to install them... wacko.gif

There are plenty of other connectors out there that would handle this just as well without looking so out of place. But the original setup isn't that bad. You really shouldn't be removing foglights all that much anyway. So if it were me, I would just resplice the wire ends, heatshrink with an adhesive lined shrink tube, and if you ever have to remove the fog lights, you can just do it the way the factory did.

I'm planning to fit some old Cibie Iodes with yellow centers, so I'll be building new custom grills and mounts for these. Good time to redo the connectors.
falcor75
That kind of connector came with my robotic lawnmover to splice the containment wire that you dig into the ground.

Just use some male/female quality crimp on connectors and heatshrink with glue inside it..
porschetub
Yea.that was what I found on my car push pin connectors...sure they were original.
Original lights on my car?? one great the other broken glass and rusted inside not great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.