Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT Conversion on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Very well Done! 25k First Day! Hope mine turn out this nice.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-6-gt/

Click to view attachment
pete000
Nice build !
EdwardBlume
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
horizontally-opposed
Can we nominate this for COTM? blink.gif

That's one very cool build, even if it is for sale. Just has a great vibe.
GeorgeRud
Beautiful build! The bidding is now up to $35,000 with six days to go. I think it would take $75,000 to replicate this.
BIGKAT_83
That is a GREAT car. Bet it goes for over $50k
smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Very nicely executed. The only thing I would change is the dumb front spoiler.
eric9144
Beautiful, nice to see one that's done right, hope it's on high ground as it's in Houston dry.gif
Lucky9146
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 1 2017, 08:27 AM) *

Beautiful, nice to see one that's done right, hope it's on high ground as it's in Houston dry.gif

Seller says he is on high ground in the banter of comments in the listing. He also offers to make a contribution to the relief of Houston in the amount equal to the buyer premium. Pretty cool.
raynekat
Whoever did the photography did a great job and must of used a pretty "decent" camera.
Lots of beautiful pics on BAT.
bigkensteele
Stunning.
Lucky9146
Sold for 52k today on BAT. Thought it might go a bit higher
raynekat
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 7 2017, 02:49 PM) *

With a better engine and some more interesting "details," it well could have.
To me, the engine held it back a good $15k.
pete000
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 1 2017, 07:27 AM) *

Very nicely executed. The only thing I would change is the dumb front spoiler.

agree.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 7 2017, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 7 2017, 02:49 PM) *

With a better engine and some more interesting "details," it well could have.
To me, the engine held it back a good $15k.

My take, too. My gut said $57k for the car. I also think that the engine held it back, that a hotter engine (even a hot 2.2 or 2.4) would have added another $5k. The front spoiler was a bit weird for a car so well turned out otherwise. A GT valance (even without the matching bumper) would have been nicer, but I don't think the spoiler held the car back. It's a matter of personal taste, and I suspect most people look at it as a $100-200 and 1-2 hour fix—and the car was sooooo nicely turned out otherwise. Curious to know what real Fuchs, more period details and parts, etc might have done, but this car just punched all of the visual buttons. And I really want to know how it drives and handles on those BFG Radial T/As, which look so right for the period.

A few years ago, a half-billionaire with a (very nice) R Gruppe 911 asked me what I thought my six conversion was worth. He was staring at it in a kind of shock, as though he had never thought 914s could be appealing. I mumbled something about when I started the engine conversion and paint it might have been worth $12,000 on the best day ever, and that when I finished, I figured it might be worth $12,500 (showing my incredible financial prowess)—but that, with the recent rise in all things air-cooled and a few six conversions for sale online, it might bring something like $35k. He was almost in a trance, and said "easily." I think he would have offered on the spot but knew I've had the car since high school and didn't want to be "that guy."

So, that was a few years ago. I don't see six conversions at $65k yet, but maybe we are on the way there with the best 914-6 originals going for $85-130k. I know what I'd rather have (I'm not an exclusivity guy), and I'd sure be happy to pay half as much for it.
rhodyguy
When this wacky place fired up $12k bought a real, REAL, nice 4 and the seller was prob taking a hit on o.o.p. 6s were sub $20 iirc. It would be interesting to see the car in person.
jmz
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2017, 12:03 PM) *

When this wacky place fired up $12k bought a real, REAL, nice 4 and the seller was prob taking a hit on o.o.p. 6s were sub $20 iirc. It would be interesting to see the car in person.

I've seen the white GT look converision in person and in fact witnessed the build even went for a ride in it. It is a very nicely put together car.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Yeah, remember that. Back in those glory days, $5k bought a decent start 914-4, $10k bought a NICE -4, and $20k bought a pretty okay 6—while $30-40k still bought a great early 911S. Not long before that, in 2004~, I was offered a silver/black 1968 Euro 911S in original paint that still looked quite good for $18k. Car was all original. I passed... slap.gif

Speaking in very rough terms, the ^ suggests a ~10x bump in early 911 prices vs a ~5x bump for top 914-6s and certain six conversions vs a 2-3x bump for 914-4s (plenty of examples to either side of those multiples, as that 911S I skipped is probably a $300-400k car now). I have real mixed feelings about the escalation. Nice to see the cars valued, not so nice to see people get priced out of them—and the fact that I never worry about leaving the GT4 parked somewhere but think twice about where I put my 914 is pure cray-cray. One thing I really *do* like about the Porsche market is that it seems to value modified cars done to a high and factory-ish standard. I would be bored out of my mind if everything had trended toward dead stock cars. U.S. ride height and sugar scoop headlights only makes sense to me on so many cars—one per model as an example of the way it was is enough for me... biggrin.gif
SKL1
Overall nice car. Surprised they didn't change redline on tach when going to trouble of putting in a combination gauge on the left.

Also they left the old 4 cylinder engine mounts- I thought they got in the way of the oil lines on the 6???
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 8 2017, 11:15 AM) *

Overall nice car. Surprised they didn't change redline on tach when going to trouble of putting in a combination gauge on the left.

Also they left the old 4 cylinder engine mounts- I thought they got in the way of the oil lines on the 6???

Good point about the tach vs the combo gauge...the tach made me pause, too. As for the mounts, we left them in my car and they are a non-issue. Also: Make for good tie-down points.
Larmo63
$52K seems like a lot for this car, but you never know which two or three guys are fighting it out to own/buy any particular car. I've seen it up close at a few Barrett/Jackson events, and to a lot of the$e "car" guys, a few thousand bucks is not that big of a deal.

We take our 914s to cars and coffee here in Orange County, and there is a real buzz around them.

We may be surprised what the future holds dollar-wise for our peculiar little cars.....?
Front yard mechanic
Bueaty indeed but why the goofy lines on /around the front hood 52 k our car of the mounth looks straighter smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
Plus what's the buyers premium?
mepstein
The white car might not have been perfect in every detail and doesn't have a monster engine but for someone who wants a "GT" look 914, this car is turnkey compared to a 3-5 year build that most guys experience. Many never get the car out of the garage. There's a lot to be said for handing over cash and having a toy to play with vs building from scratch.
rhodyguy
The front valance is a nothing burger. Same for the reproduction wheels. More power is a Jeff Hines away.
SKL1
Nice to see Pete still hanging around here!! Not spending all his waking hours with 000...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 8 2017, 10:03 PM) *

Nice to see Pete still hanging around here!! Not spending all his waking hours with 000...

Ha. Thanks! 000 has been pretty close to all consuming besides core family—so this is one of the few outlets. I thought Pano was a big lift, but have new respect for anyone who has started a business, and especially with a family. 914world is a fun getaway and a respite of "sanity" in the world of Porsche. Just a lot of good peeps here. Same as it ever was...
Dave_Darling
I think your definition of "sanity" is pretty faulty if it includes us here!!! wink.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.