Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A bit of this and that,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Well been a while but got off other jobs to work on the car,pulled the oil tank after start of oil change,oil needed changing as engine was unknown when fitted.
Oil was pretty dirty and smelt slighty of fuel....not great so good timing.
Tank out ,I found the hose fitting a little loose but a bit worried about the fitting the PO supplied as the TIG welding was a bit suspect ,fixed that after having a leak there for ever ,real pleased with the outcome.
Thought I was clever with my carbs but in real terms still too rich @ idle,black dirty plugs and fuel smoke at idle so changed out the jets for original and found much improved result so I now have a baseline as these are a touch lean.
Changed out worn/damaged fan outer pulley and belt so that noise has gone away...another result biggrin.gif ,retimed the engine and checked carb set up.
One more oil leak to sort was around the oil thermostat,turned out to be crappy breather hose from Pelican parts,geez fought that one headbang.gif headbang.gif .
Exhaust valve covers are still not sealed and weeping a bit enough to piss me off,resufaced twice so basically have to think about replacements but really expensive by the time I get alloy ones here,would seem the magnesium ones reach a point of no repair.
Well as it transpired a set of latter alloy covers came up on our countries biggest auction site,scored them for 100nzd so another good result.
Had a bad VDO day yesterday,my combo gauge is from a 77 911 but the temp gauge insert died, fitted a replacement metric inset I had and that was faulty also headbang.gif ,remote mounted a cheap universal one I had so atleast that worked.

Dave_Darling
The alloy covers aren't exactly known for good sealing, either. They also put a lot of stress on the rocker studs. I believe some people have gone with step studs to try to help that.

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 4 2017, 09:32 AM) *

The alloy covers aren't exactly known for good sealing, either. They also put a lot of stress on the rocker studs. I believe some people have gone with step studs to try to help that.

--DD

Yes have thought about that,thinking the right gaskets I should be better off,one cover is cracked (air side) and not easily welded.
One of the wise gents on Pelican mentioned the alloy ones don't stay flat also WTF.gif .
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 3 2017, 11:26 PM) *

One of the wise gents on Pelican mentioned the alloy ones don't stay flat also WTF.gif .

I wonder if that was me? I'm over on Pelican, and there's one part of me that's pretty wise.... bootyshake.gif wink.gif

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 5 2017, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 3 2017, 11:26 PM) *

I wonder if that was me? I'm over on Pelican, and there's one part of me that's pretty wise.... bootyshake.gif wink.gif

--DD

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif sorry Dave it wasn't you,recieved the covers in the post ,dirty but in great shape,will run then over my glass surfacing plate to see if they are still flat,can't decide if I should paint them or not confused24.gif confused24.gif .
Problem with the old magnesium ones I had was that some monkey had used very thick gaskets and tightened the crap out of them...think that's way one was cracked.
Click to view attachment
I have found a VDO repair agent down south so plan to send of my faulty gauge temp inserts for repair hopefully they can get atleast one going?
Click to view attachment

gms
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 3 2017, 04:11 PM) *

Exhaust valve covers are still not sealed and weeping a bit enough to piss me off,resufaced twice so basically have to think about replacements but really expensive by the time I get alloy ones here,would seem the magnesium ones reach a point of no repair.

I bought the billet aluminum covers from Hargett Precision and haven't had a leak in 4 years

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 5 2017, 03:52 PM) *

...recieved the covers in the post ,dirty but in great shape ...

Aw, heck! I completely missed the fact that you were talking about 911 valve covers!!! My comments were about the alloy covers for the four-cylinder engines. D'OH!

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 6 2017, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 5 2017, 03:52 PM) *

...recieved the covers in the post ,dirty but in great shape ...

Aw, heck! I completely missed the fact that you were talking about 911 valve covers!!! My comments were about the alloy covers for the four-cylinder engines. D'OH!

--DD

No no ,no mistake really ,have a set of those going on a T4 'Iam slowly building up oh dear,do they pull the rocker stud from the head??? don't know as have never used them before ? beer.gif .
IronHillRestorations
"Turbo" lower covers won't fit a 6 without grinding some off. You can put them on the engine as is, put your engine in the car, and be unable to get the lower covers off.

I have 5/16" milled off the entire ribbed side.
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 7 2017, 01:22 AM) *

"Turbo" lower covers won't fit a 6 without grinding some off. You can put them on the engine as is, put your engine in the car, and be unable to get the lower covers off.

I have 5/16" milled off the entire ribbed side.

Thanks Perry have that covered,have use of a milling machine @ my brothers workshop beer.gif .
porschetub
Good day today cause it wasn't raining ALL... day headbang.gif .
Got Ford starter relay fitted as Mark Henrys "how to" thread ,easy job to do and cheap as I had the wires and payed $6 for connectors and around $25 delivered for the relay ex Ebay....cant go wrong really.
Hardest part was bending the mounting tab to go on to the lower starter bolt,used glued heatshrink ,good and solid on all connections.
Click to view attachment
Next job was to fit my LED headlight lamps for my H4 headlights;
Click to view attachment
Happy with the fit of these but its not possible to fit the rubber sealing boot so made some seals out of closed cell foam that will offer some sort of seal.
porschetub
Real pleased with the results ,these buggers are bright...right hand side standard H4;
Click to view attachment
Drivers side ;
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Well have been busy as on my property,so time for some Porsche love after lawns mowed and tree's trimmed,issues I had were gearshift related,packing out the pivot ball has made a huge difference as I thought,it shifts a hot knife into butter...never thought I could make it this good.
Used the Tangerine racing adjustment procedure after trying every other method headbang.gif headbang.gif
Carbs are tuned and happy,engine timing needs work as a little advanced,easily sorted.
Got the bastard counterfeit Momo steering wheel hub sorted,took lots of work.
Click to view attachment
Nice wheel to drive with and easy on my legs but still pissed on the quality...never mind not worth bitching anymore.
porschetub
playing underneath the car and found my oil leak on RH side,case I'am a dick because I had assumed a leak from the exhaust valve cover...how wrong I was it was the inlet valve cover.
Click to view attachment

Got a bit slack on more important issues on the car and decided to start my wheel update,liked the RSR look.
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
You've gotta stop taking photography lessons from Sir Andy.... biggrin.gif

--DD
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 2 2017, 06:15 AM) *

You've gotta stop taking photography lessons from Sir Andy.... biggrin.gif

--DD

I know ,has taken years of experience to take pictures this badly av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif .
porschetub
Then I repainted the wheel to correct colour ,they were previously matt black instead of satin.
Then I thought...fail should have done the petals in matt silver first,anyway after a huge amount of masking I ended up with a reasonable result.
Click to view attachment
Used VHT high temp wheel silver paint which is a good match for the look I was after.
porschetub
Had a test drive last week and had so many issues I didn't feel like mentioning it,the main issue was the gearshift again which unknown to me had gone out of alignment on the rear rod due to a loose bolt in the rear universal,it shifted fine @ the start of the drive,by the time I headed home it was all screwed up headbang.gif .
Sorted that and decided to address my timing issue,this turned out to be a faulty strobe light or it doesn't like my ignition system ?....haven't narrowed it down yet,retarded the timing and all is good again.
Went for a spirited drive last night and she was really "on song",somewhat transformed from last time.
Pulled plugs and checked them,great colour so won't be touching the carbs a again dry.gif ,final setup is ;
30mm vents ,
52 idles,
125 mains,
stock emulsion tubes as per alfa1750's recommendation,
mixtures screws out 2.5 turns,
air bleeds (some but not all )slightly opened as per manual,
idle speed screws open half a turn/carb.
Next jobs are to equalize the handbrake, replace RH side rear wheel bearing and fit Boxster wiper motor ,I need to weld up the cutout for the cooler that the OP was going to fit up front ...hopefully then I will be closer to road legal.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.