Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used an interior light from a 911?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arne
I got one of the normal aftermarket replacement lights for my car's back pad (no silver rim, black switch), and like others, I'm not impressed.
  1. Can't get the clips to secure it in the backpad.
  2. Backpad vinyl has shrunk away from the opening a bit, so even if I got it to stay put you can see through to the fiberboard.
I saw a thread a while back where someone used a light from the new beetle, and I was thinking about that as an option. Not crazy about the more modern look though, and I would need to slightly enlarge the hole for that.

Then I wondered how much difference in size and mounting is there between the 914 light and one of the dome lights in my 911? Turns out, not much. The 911 light is about the same length, and just a bit wider. I'd still need to enlarge the hole a bit. But it's a more vintage look, especially if you use the early light with the stainless rim. (It also comes with black rim.)

I think I'm going to give it a try. Anyone else done this?

The light I am looking at is this one.
arne
Picture...

IPB Image
Frankvw
interesting option, and for sure more classic looking than that new-beetle option (which is a nice option in case you do not mind it is not original/classic enough).
Did you already try to install this?
914Sixer
911 switch is nothing more than a VW Type 3 dome light.
arne
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 12 2017, 02:37 AM) *

interesting option, and for sure more classic looking than that new-beetle option (which is a nice option in case you do not mind it is not original/classic enough).
Did you already try to install this?
Not yet. I did some test measurements using one of the lights from my own 911, which has convinced me that it is possible and should be about the same in mods as using the new beetle light. The length is the same (or darned close), the 911 light is wider. I have ordered the light pictured (from Stoddard, SMC offers the stainless rim too), but it hasn't arrived yet so I haven't worked on the backpad yet.
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 12 2017, 06:05 AM) *

Really? I haven't seen that light on any VW site, just the Porsche vendors. But it does make some sense.

Or maybe it's the other way around, the Type 3 used the Porsche light. The light is also listed for later 356, and carries a Porsche part number (901.632.101.00) rather than a VW number.

Dunno, and not terribly important to me either way, if I can make it fit and work.
rhodyguy
Not new beetle switches. T-1. Like the Euro max $12.25 or Empi $10.25 Pelican offers. The $11 door lamp switch gasket seems kind of goofy. dry.gif confused24.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 12 2017, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 12 2017, 06:05 AM) *

Really? I haven't seen that light on any VW site, host the Porsche vendors. But it does make some sense.

https://www.vwispwest.com/311947111B/Type-3...Dome-Light.html
arne
Ahhh! I hadn't seen that. About the same price that I paid from Stoddard, with shipping factored in. If this works well, it'll be good to have multiple sources.
burton73
E, I think this is what I will put in my HotRod 6

Bob B
Eric_Shea
Not in #11 ohmy.gif

Arne, the problem you'll have with this light in the back pad is, it grounds to metal on the sides. The back pad is foam all around but, this is why they have the ground wire up there so, I'm sure you can figure something out...
arne
Yup, it arrived today, and i have already tested and figure out which wires go where to make it work. No problems there. Will attempt to open up the hole in the back pad either tomorrow or Friday.
GeorgeRud
Eric's photo shows the light mounted into the firewall. With appropriate grounding, can it be incorporated into the stock backpad or is the 911 light too deep to Fit?
rhodyguy
The pad hole for the stock light has to be altered.
arne
Yes, the hole in the backpad must be enlarged a bit. But the depth of the light is similar to the stock light, so I don't expect any problem on that score.
GeorgeRud
I found this replacement LED bulb to replace the original bulb. It's much brighter than the factory one, but unfortunately still runs hot. I was hoping that the LED would be cooler than the original to help preserve the original fixture as heat is the main culprit in making them more fragile. If anyone knows of a cooler running USB, please share the info.Click to view attachment
arne
The new Type 3/356/911 light is installed, and works perfectly.

The opening in the back pad needs to be enlarged on all 4 sides. I made a cardboard template to get the rough size transferred to the back pad. Overall opening size is 95mm x 38mm with rounded corners similar to the stock opening. If your back pad still has the metal tabs for the light to clip to, both tabs will need to be trimmed by 3-4mm each side. (I used a Dremel with carbide cutoff wheel.)

The new light has three terminals to connect, so all three stock wires are used.
  • Terminal on the end of the bulb gets black/red.
  • Terminal on opposite end (with the pivot switch) gets brown/gray (the one from the door switches).
  • The third terminal is part of the stainless bezel. and points straight to the rear. That one gets the double brown. Depending on how tightly your back pad fits, you may need to bend that terminal 90° for additional clearance.

In the middle position, the light works with the door switches. Pivot to one side to be on all the time, to the other to be off always.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RickS
Looks muy excellent. Nice job.

I bought an aftermarket replacement for mine and had the typical fitment problem. 1 minute with Mr Dremel took care of it, but your solution looks sooo much better.
rhodyguy
That turned out nice. Good work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.