Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 - Oil cooler help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KeithVonLaws
Hello Guys
I was wondering if anyone here modifies
911 oil coolers to work on a 914?
GeorgeRud
Try Patrick Racing in Phoenix, AZ. I believe there are other out there as well as it's just welding a 90 degree angle on a shortened oil cooler pipe. I got mine from Otto's (RIP John) in Venice, CA back in the day
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 7 2017, 03:48 PM) *
as it's just welding a 90 degree angle on a shortened oil cooler pipe

If i'm not mistaken, the stock 914/6 cooler has a 90 degree radius bend and not a 90 degree angle.
idea.gif
mb911
Its not to difficult. I can do the mod if you need.. I need to do mine anyway.
KeithVonLaws
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 7 2017, 07:47 PM) *

Its not to difficult. I can do the mod if you need.. I need to do mine anyway.

Awesome Ben.... Im not in a big hurry but I would be happy to pay you for the work. Call me and I will exchange info and ship to you.
Thanks Keith
eitnurg
A real one.

IPB Image

BTW, it's on the supply side, so there's no pressure there: suction, if anything. A quick-and-dirty solution could be to simply saw off the pipe and fit a flexible with a hose clamp. Does the existing pipe offer any support to the cooler? (I'm not recommending: just sayin').
Retroracer
Clewett did the modification on mine: http://www.clewett.com

Has options on AN- thread size, metric, etc as I recall.
Larmo63
Rich Johnson did the one on my car, he pressure tested it and welded on an AN 16 male outlet.

Perfect.
914dave
Rich Johnson did mine.
porschetub
Can be done this way too ;
Click to view attachment
I used a sweep bend on the hose to join them up.
Local alloy boatbuilder did the welding for $40.
Chuck @ Elephant Racing will most likely have a weld on fitting,great go to guy for hoses and fitting too.
mb911
Becuase its suction side a sharp 90 works just as PMS does. There are so many ways to do this and really not right answer. What I do is 45 it and weld them pretty easy and clean.
Mark Henry
I welded my own smile.gif
I used a $8 fueling hose 1" NPT elbow from a farm supply shop. Cut it on a lathe to slip into the cooler tube then TIG welded it on.
Made the hose from a bunch of 911 suction hoses I had kicking around, I have about $30-$40 into my whole return system.
jim912928
Rich Johnson did mine also....excellent work.
KeithVonLaws
Thanks for all of the Tips guys... This is my first 6 so I am excited to start the collection the extra parts..... I have a low mileage 2.2 T engine that I will be bringing up to S specs....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.