Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil quantity for ''6'',those without a front cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Stock 914/6 is 7 litres ,have trawled for answers and have had 8.5,9,10 quarts and some running even more but think that's for 911's,I think the 911 tank is larger judging by the 2 I have.
I currently run 7.5 litres because I have larger oil lines and so called larger ''upgrade'' filter,just feel it should be a little more.
I can't trust the oil level on the dipstick because it is a PMS one and my tank is stock 914/6,I kinda feel this filler neck/dipstick is for their aftermarket tank confused24.gif .
A US quart is more than 1 litre so I'am thinking of running 9 liters total ,don't want to overfill it for obvious reasons but would like to be over to read the dipstick engine running on level ground.
TIA beer.gif

db9146
I have stock -6 and it takes 9.5 quarts for mine when I change mine....no remote cooler.
wndsrfr
With this much oil volume in the system, it will expand when hot, so be sure to be checking with the engine running and hot. There's no way that we would be starving the system with 8 or more quarts in it, and if you're on the track you don't want to be sloshing it into the vent, so I lean toward having just about 1/2-1 inch on the dipstick, no need for more in my opinion.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 8 2017, 07:33 PM) *

Stock 914/6 is 7 litres ,have trawled for answers and have had 8.5,9,10 quarts and some running even more but think that's for 911's,I think the 911 tank is larger judging by the 2 I have.
I currently run 7.5 litres because I have larger oil lines and so called larger ''upgrade'' filter,just feel it should be a little more.
I can't trust the oil level on the dipstick because it is a PMS one and my tank is stock 914/6,I kinda feel this filler neck/dipstick is for their aftermarket tank confused24.gif .
A US quart is more than 1 litre so I'am thinking of running 9 liters total ,don't want to overfill it for obvious reasons but would like to be over to read the dipstick engine running on level ground.
TIA beer.gif

1 us liquid quart = 0.946 liter
Oil is measured hot with engine running.
porschetub
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 9 2017, 01:45 PM) *

With this much oil volume in the system, it will expand when hot, so be sure to be checking with the engine running and hot. There's no way that we would be starving the system with 8 or more quarts in it, and if you're on the track you don't want to be sloshing it into the vent, so I lean toward having just about 1/2-1 inch on the dipstick, no need for more in my opinion.

Thanks John,always check it warmed and running,got you on the oil getting down the vent, reason for being a little cautious.
Will add more and report back beer.gif .
Spoke
What I do with my 930 when changing oil is to drain all the oil from the crankcase and tank into one bucket. As I add quarts of oil, I fill the empty quart containers with the used oil. I add as many quarts of oil as the old oil fills the empty containers. This gets me close enough to run the engine and top off.
mb911
:agree

I do the same thing:
porschetub
Settled on 8.5 litres and have 1'' showing on dipstick,great I now have a reference point,engine is basically leak free now also.
The top mark on the stick isn't going work ,confirms my theory the PMS filler is made for their tank not a stock one,I will make some new marks.
Thanks for the helpful replies beer.gif .
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2017, 06:49 PM) *

So that means my 16 quarts are just over 15 Liter ...
wacko.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2017, 06:32 PM) *

wacko.gif

I dont know why OP said a quart is more than a liter?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 11 2017, 04:30 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2017, 06:32 PM) *
wacko.gif
I dont know why OP said a quart is more than a liter?

I just never realized i had 15 liters of oil in my car. I really had no idea how much a quart was.
unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.