Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for advice on selling my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JHop
Hey guys,

I've listed my 914 here in the classified section (blue 1972 914-4 for $8500), and am wondering what I can do to move it quickly (and not give it away). I started off too high based on some advice, and am working my way down to what I think is a reasonable price, but I'm very much a newbie with these cars. I'm not even looking to make real money here, just need to get some reasonable cash. Anyway, I am going to be moving soon and will need to sell the car beforehand...we are not going to pay to have it shipped, etc. and I won't have any place to keep it under cover.

I'm looking for any advice (don't worry I have thick skin and I know the car is far from perfect) from all of you to see what my car is really worth, or if I need certain/better/more information. I want to sell it quickly and get it to a good home. Over 1000 people have looked at it and I'm really curious as to why I have no interest.

If in the end no one here is really interested I'll keep her on Craigslist and maybe try Ebay or BaT.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John
nditiz1
Honestly it seems to be priced fairly. The issue with most cars priced accordingly is location. When I was looking, this car would have been right up my alley and in budget but transportation would have killed me or I could have driven home. Rust can also be a concern. You need more pics of potential rust areas. Prove to people it is rust free or as they say close to being rust free. More pics means more info. It will sell have patientience.
Amphicar770
For the most part I have found that forums are often the worst place to sell vehicles. The people looking already have one (or more) and are generally only interested in either killer deals or the most amazing condition examples. I have never had luck selling any car on a marque specific forum.

For a reasonably quick sale, I think your best bet is a site like Bring a Trailer (hard to get listed) or EvilBay. Autotrader gets a lot of visitors as well. There is always Craigslist but you will have to deal with scammers, tire kickers, and low-ballers.

That said, I think I did find my own 914 through this or a similar forum! Still, I waited a very long time for exactly what I wanted to come along.
burton73
I found my 76 on this forum. It was a solid deal. I believe I will get triple what I paid for it 9 years ago.
I have looked over your pictures and there are some good points and some bad points. Your car was gold before and there are some people that just love a gold car. I think the blue color that you have is not bad at all but really cannot tell how good the body and paintwork is. Now if lots of pictures show off bad arrears with bubbling rust you will have a problem but if it is a clean car you should be good.
I have sold some Porsches on Ebay but what you will need is a program that lets you list lots of pictures off site as EBay only lets you put up 12 picture or something like that. You need good pictures from every angle and point out every point that there could be rust showing.

The better the shots the easer to sell it to some one with out them seeing it in person. BAT has lots of pictures on the site. People may bid it up if given a chance.
You really do not know what the price may go to. $8,500 may be a low amount in the end.

If you cannot take all the pictures, there are people that will charge you and clean it takes the pictures and lists it.

GLWS Bob B
JHop
Hey Guys! Thanks for the tips! I took a lot more pics and loaded them up on photobucket, so hopefully people can really see how good a car it is.

Thanks again for this forum...I haven't been here much, but it's always a great place to learn.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.