Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: roof liner for targa top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm re-doing my targa top. Pulled off the old carpet roof liner. Is replacing this necessary? Does it do anything other than look good? Does it deaden sound, keep out heat, etc?

I was just going to paint the inside satin black. The top/outside will be sprayed with Wurth undercoating and then painted satin black.

The top is somewhat flexible, not sure if this matters, but I thought I'd mention it. I figure the Wurth is flexible and I might consider putting a flex agent in the paint so it won't crack/spider.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Sep 9 2017, 07:29 PM) *

I'm re-doing my targa top. Pulled off the old carpet roof liner. Is replacing this necessary? Does it do anything other than look good? Does it deaden sound, keep out heat, etc?

I was just going to paint the inside satin black. The top/outside will be sprayed with Wurth undercoating and then painted satin black.

The top is somewhat flexible, not sure if this matters, but I thought I'd mention it. I figure the Wurth is flexible and I might consider putting a flex agent in the paint so it won't crack/spider.

It probably doesn't do much to insulate sound, but I bet it helps keep the top from *reflecting* sound. Doesn't weigh much, and is a nice finishing touch, too. I'd reinstall.
GeorgeRud
Try with it off at first. You can always install it if you want at any time. I don't think my 70 914-6 didn't have one, but my 73 does. Can't say I've noted any difference, but the top is usually in the trunk.
pete000
The early cars had no liner from the factory.

I don't really notice any difference with or with out.
gulf908
As received my May '70 -6 had no lining so the UVs came straight through
Since installing some carpet,I don't have to wear a cap in the car with the top on in mid summer
I burn easily and there is a big UV problem where I am

HTH
Dennis smile.gif
StratPlayer
Here's a thread about the roof liner I put in my car

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=266674&hl=
Tom_T
The perlon liner helps with both sound insulation & reflection a bit, & heat transfer thru the top a bit - IMHO. Here in SoCal & the hot Southwest even a little bit of heat blocking can help, since sometimes it's way too hot to also have the top off & cooking you.

It's just a spray adhesive application, so you can easily do as George suggests & try it without.

Your Wurth Schutz + Satin Black paint application is correct, & you can find some topics in the O&H Forum on redoing them, & if you use google search they'll come up better than the search function on here.

The FG tops do have some flex in them, but after you strip the old paint & schutz, check carefully for cracks - even hairline ones. If you have some, then you may need to do a new gel coat coating, & if bad cracks then do the FG cloth repair to reinforce on the underside preferably, then shape & smooth to match.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

mepstein
I bought this stuff at pep boys for about $15 a roll. It was enough to do the headliner and rear trunk. Cut with a sissors. Not the same as perlon but it's a very heavy felt. Worked fine for what I was after.

And yes, the car was quieter with the headliner than without.
bobheinonen
I seem to recall that Porsche dealers offered a accessory kit that included a precut piece of carpet felt and a very small tube of glue. But,

I do not have a part number . Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.