Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
George, your car looks terrific. smilie_pokal.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 26 2017, 08:51 PM) *

I picked up a set of Firestone Firehawk AS tires today. These are one of a small group of "high performance all season" tires in 195/65 R15 and the reviews are pretty good. Most in this size are touring, grand touring, etc.

Exactly what I did end of September, except I went with 195/60-15. Local Firestone dealer matched Tire Rack's price and had me in and out quickly for around $330. Posted the following review on Tire Rack:

"Softer-sidewall tires than the BFGs I replaced; I could immediately feel the increased flex and slower transition during steering input. However, once they take a set there's not a lot of squirm, they're pretty stable. On the plus side, the ride is noticeably smoother and less harsh, so for a spirited street car this is a good compromise. Let's see how well they work out after some serious miles!"

ThreeV8s
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 27 2017, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 26 2017, 08:51 PM) *

I picked up a set of Firestone Firehawk AS tires today. These are one of a small group of "high performance all season" tires in 195/65 R15 and the reviews are pretty good. Most in this size are touring, grand touring, etc.

Exactly what I did end of September, except I went with 195/60-15. Local Firestone dealer matched Tire Rack's price and had me in and out quickly for around $330. Posted the following review on Tire Rack:

"Softer-sidewall tires than the BFGs I replaced; I could immediately feel the increased flex and slower transition during steering input. However, once they take a set there's not a lot of squirm, they're pretty stable. On the plus side, the ride is noticeably smoother and less harsh, so for a spirited street car this is a good compromise. Let's see how well they work out after some serious miles!"

So that was you...I was hoping it was someone on the forum that might chime in.

Are you still happy with them?

I was truly hesitant to let them do the mounting and balancing for fear of them lifting the car incorrectly or screwing it up while behind the wheel, so I am taking them to a different shop. Glad it worked out for you.
Guberif
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 10 2017, 10:53 PM) *

I used to run 195/50-15s. I liked them at the time. Eventually, I liked them less.

IPB Image

I had originally used 195/60-15 in the same make and model, and found several differences when I went to 50-series tires:
- Lower gearing for better acceleration out of corners
- Stiffer sidewalls resulting in (slightly) more grip
- Better feedback from the tires

- Harder ride due to shorter sidewalls
- Freeway speeds required ~500 RPM more
- On a few autoX courses I had to shift up to 3rd and back, costing me some time

When I went to 50-series tires, I was finally able to feel the car well enough to catch a slide before it evolved into a spin. I had never done that on the 60-series tires.

Eventually, having to run higher RPMs on the freeway did get to me. The type of tires I wanted to run were also becoming harder to find in 195/50, so I wound up going with 205/60-15s.

--DD

Hey Darling Dave, I totally agree with you I love the 195/50ZR/15 (made by Yokohama - nla for the A-008 type)which I need to replace, can't even find any ZR rated tires anymore.

I've talked to you a couple of times on the phone years & years ago and you've always had Rock Solid advice.

So, here's my question.

I deffinately want to stay with the low pro's no debating that one - your dead right world of difference! But I would like to have more accurate speedo & I wouldnt mind having lower rpm's.

Where the 'Rub' is (forgive the pun) that my tires I have on my chrome rims are 185/65/15. the drivers rear clearance is super tight, can't even get my pinkie in between tire and well. do you know if these chrome rims are totally offset? or are they the same as the Fuch's? (I'll upload pic of the chrome ones)

I will be putting the new tires on my 2.0 L. OEM Fuch's .....so, If I were to go a little bigger with still a 50% would that work? Could you suggest any sizes to check out?

Sorry to ask this, there is no tire shop nearby so I will be having to order over the internet, so I cant just go down to a shop or anything of the sort, that and like I said - great advice before - thanks.

Bonnie

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 27 2017, 10:51 AM) *

I was hesitant to let them do the mounting and balancing for fear of them lifting the car incorrectly or screwing it up while behind the wheel, so I am taking them to a different shop. Glad it worked out for you.

I am still happy with the tires after 1500 miles or so. I tend to like a really "tight" car with quick response - I'm used to racing FWD cars with 1800#/in rear springs and big bars - and these Firestones are markedly less responsive than the BFGs. But I still think the compromise in ride quality is worth it.They ride better on the highway, are quieter, and even my wife noticed the improved smoothness, so it's all a plus.

I'll tell ya, I was worried about leaving a 43-yr-old car with Fuchs and walking away to go to work, mostly because I thought they might tear them or the center caps up. But I've gotten stuff from this Firestone shop in the past (couple sets of tires for the Excursion) and they did a good job. I did re-check the torque and it was slightly over-tight, but otherwise no marks on the wheels or caps. Underside looks fine.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 27 2017, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Oct 27 2017, 10:51 AM) *

I was hesitant to let them do the mounting and balancing for fear of them lifting the car incorrectly or screwing it up while behind the wheel, so I am taking them to a different shop. Glad it worked out for you.

I am still happy with the tires after 1500 miles or so. I tend to like a really "tight" car with quick response - I'm used to racing FWD cars with 1800#/in rear springs and big bars - and these Firestones are markedly less responsive than the BFGs. But I still think the compromise in ride quality is worth it.They ride better on the highway, are quieter, and even my wife noticed the improved smoothness, so it's all a plus.

I'll tell ya, I was worried about leaving a 43-yr-old car with Fuchs and walking away to go to work, mostly because I thought they might tear them or the center caps up. But I've gotten stuff from this Firestone shop in the past (couple sets of tires for the Excursion) and they did a good job. I did re-check the torque and it was slightly over-tight, but otherwise no marks on the wheels or caps. Underside looks fine.

That's good to hear and I think these will work out well for their intended purpose. Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm generally the same way when it comes to sports cars...would take internal bleeding over mush normally, but this car has different purpose for me. I've never had so much fun going slow. We had bridgestone RE11s mounted on the 911 last fall and love them, but there is nothing even close in the 195/65 size.

It can be a crapshoot with those places and glad you have a good one. Like a car dealership's service department, there are varying levels of talent, and I'm just not that lucky.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Guberif @ Oct 27 2017, 03:04 PM) *
.... I would like to have more accurate speedo & I wouldnt mind having lower rpm's.

Where the 'Rub' is (forgive the pun) that my tires I have on my chrome rims are 185/65/15. the drivers rear clearance is super tight, can't even get my pinkie in between tire and well. do you know if these chrome rims are totally offset? or are they the same as the Fuch's? (I'll upload pic of the chrome ones)

It is likely that your chrome wheels are not the same offset as the stock 914 wheels. Bug wheels, for instance, usually place the tires further out in the fenders.

It would be exceedingly unusual if you couldn't fit 195s on Fuchs under stock fenders. There's a pretty decent chance you could fit 205s--and you can be pretty certain if you're willing to flatten or trim the fender lip.

A set of 205/65-15 should be close to the original diameter. Also 205/60-15. Both are good choices for a 914.

--DD
euro911
QUOTE(Guberif @ Oct 27 2017, 03:04 PM) *
Hey Darling Dave, I totally agree with you I love the 195/50ZR/15 (made by Yokohama - nla for the A-008 type)which I need to replace, can't even find any ZR rated tires anymore.

I've talked to you a couple of times on the phone years & years ago and you've always had Rock Solid advice.

So, here's my question.

I deffinately want to stay with the low pro's no debating that one - your dead right world of difference! But I would like to have more accurate speedo & I wouldnt mind having lower rpm's.

I will be putting the new tires on my 2.0 L. OEM Fuch's .....so, If I were to go a little bigger with still a 50% would that work? Could you suggest any sizes to check out?

Sorry to ask this, there is no tire shop nearby so I will be having to order over the internet, so I cant just go down to a shop or anything of the sort, that and like I said - great advice before - thanks.

Bonnie

Click to view attachment

Bonnie, some 914s came out of the factory with non-symmetrical rear suspension too. The rear track is wider than the front to begin with, so fitting wider wheels is sort of iffy, especially if the offset/backspacing of the wheels isn't correct for the car.

I installed a nice set of 5.5" EMPI 8-spoke freshly powder-coated wheels with Falken 195/65-15 tires on the '71, but the left rear rubbed the fender lip dry.gif ... The backspacing on those wheels was for VW Bugs/Ghias/Squrebacks, etc. - so I sold them. I stated this issue in my for sale ad, and they fit just fine on the gentleman's car who purchased them.

I doubt you'll have any issues with the (real) factory 4-lug Fuchs wheels though, they have the correct backspacing. Typically, 195/65's on those will present no issues, and a lot of folks do run with 205/60s with no issues either.

In any event, you can install your 'un-tired' wheels on the rear and measure the distance to the fender lip about 2~3" above the outer rim of the wheels (where the tire will be wider than the wheel itself) to see how much clearance you'll have. Caution, though, some manufacturer's tires are a tad wider, even if listed as the same size.
ThreeV8s
I had the Firehawks mounted today. From the ride home which was a mix of highway and back roads, it’s a significant change from the tires that were on there. The car feels much more composed over road imperfections and inspires much more confidence all around. It’s not an apples to apples comparison since it’s a completely different size and type of tire, but I can say that I am very happy with these so far.

Also, I kept the 165/80s in case anyone needs them and placed an ad for the free set of 4 in the classified section:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=320073

Click to view attachment
Mike1981
Hello
On my last car I ran
205-50-15 Potenza summer tires
Stuck like glue in the turns and really enhanced the dynamics of the car.

Currently I have all season 205-50-15 front and 225-50-15 rear

Not bad tires, just not as inspiring in the turns.

Lower profiles Pros:

Better feel
Better cornering
Better dynamic performance

Cons

Lower to the ground
Could scrape pavement
Harsher ride
Rear wheel well not filled in as much (this can be adjusted)

IMHO I like the sportier ride and the grip of the summer tires better than the softer ride of the taller aspect ratio tires.

Hope this helps

rhodyguy
Pep boys had some great pricing on 185/65-15 all season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.