Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spal Fans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
is there a way to test Spal fans for there direction,wether they pull or push,.?? Click to view attachment
old dog
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 10 2017, 06:10 PM) *
is there a way to test Spal fans for there direction,wether they pull or push,.??

Connect it up ! Looking at the picture, that one will pull if spun clockwise. SPAL has a pretty good website if you can pull a number off of the fan.
gereed75
In general, you want it to pull. Just did one and from memory the wires are color coded for + red and - black.

Also, I am not a motor expert, but I believe these brushed DC motors will spin either way, depending on the applied polarity. Motor experts are welcome to set us straight on that one.
McMark
They will spin either way, but SPAL specifies a direction, and I respect their brand enough to trust them. So I say find out which way it goes by the part number, and if it's not what you need get a different one.
IronHillRestorations
They make pushers and pullers, so you need the correct one. I'll opine that the fan blades are made to work best when used in the correct orientation.
gereed75
Yea you are right Mark. The motor may operate in either direction but the blades are optimized for their designed direction of rotation. The fans come in either push or pull versions for the same motor.

Oops, beat meet to it Perry
flmont
Do U think the picture of the fan I have is a puller type fan..?? Thanks..Frank
76-914
Puller. Note the blades distance from one side as opposed to the other?
flmont
ah cool,..I have 2 more just like it..!!
jd74914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 11 2017, 04:01 PM) *

Not so fast there...check the part number. I'm 99% sure SPAL fans don't always spin CW and some of their pullers use the same blade design and clocking orientation as pushers and vice versa. They have identical looking fans with different part numbers for pushing and pulling with slightly different prices too so there may be subtle motor or wiring differences.
flmont
I have been trying to get with there tech dept not much luck tho...
jd74914
Do you have the number?
bdstone914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 11 2017, 02:01 PM) *

Blades on fans are spaced to avoid a harmonic drone noise at certain operational RPM's

Ever hear a cheap house fan making rhythm like noise ? Comes from evenly spaced blades.
bdstone914
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 11 2017, 03:21 PM) *

I have been trying to get with there tech dept not much luck tho...

A friend Terry Maresh is a main sales dude there. Call him. He knows his stuff. Known him for 20 years. Tell him I said hi.
Bruce
bdstone914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 10 2017, 06:52 PM) *

In general, you want it to pull. Just did one and from memory the wires are color coded for + red and - black.

Also, I am not a motor expert, but I believe these brushed DC motors will spin either way, depending on the applied polarity. Motor experts are welcome to set us straight on that one.

Generally true but some motors are reversible and fan makers do not like to have double the fan SKU's by having the wire colors consistent to + pos and - neg.
Use one motor in both applications with either a puller or pusher blade.

Some motors are not reversible due to brush angle optimised to reduce drag in one direction. When reversed the wear the brushes fast.
Most of the modern motors are brushless.

Like other have said get the part number off of the sticker on the fan if you can read it.
Or match it to size and config on there site.
Hook it up and see how much air it pulls.

What is the whole deal here? Airflow in and out and cooling what engine ? Fans mainly assist in low speed. The motion of the vehicle should move enough air to cool the engine.

flmont
bdstone914,..fans are for cooling a 92' 3.3 suby six,.I did find out today they are puller fans,altho discontinued but iam hoping they work !!
flmont
Thanks..!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.