Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Panasonic LCD 50" TV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
So we have a Panasonic 50" LCD TV that we bought about a year and a half ago (still paying on it don't you kow). It blew the main lamp just before the manufacturer's warranty ran out, and Sears replaced it (the Lamp) for free. That was about 6 months ago and it's done it again. Is there some kind of "Lemmon Law" for TVs? Anyway I can make Panasonic replace the TV or even have Sears take it back? What can I do about this, the damn Lamps are easy/simple to replace but they cost about $300 ea, that could get expensive!

Doug C
machina
sears is pretty good about this kind of thing.

be nice and find the right guy to talk to, maybe you'll get a new TV or floor model.
tat2dphreak
I believe there are lemon laws on just about everything(in TX anyway), but I think the same part has to break something like 4 times... I would talk to Sears first, since they replaced it 6 mo. ago... if that gets you no where, try panasonic... the part itself should have a longer warrenty than 6 mos. if neither works, bend over... sad.gif sorry man!

did you buy the extra service plan? I always do on expensive items... though I've never had to use it except once, on a home theater system... but that 1 time saved me 1k, so it was worth the $60 smile.gif
mharrison
I would think that, like with a car, as the original problem occured under warranty and this is the same issue, you could make a case for warranty repair. It is quite possible that the lamps blowing are a symptom of an underlying problem. In which case, the original problem which occured under warranty was never solved. I would talk to sears about this and see what they can do. Then maybe move on to the Panasonic corporation if Sears won't work with you.

Take the time to type and print out a letter ON PAPER and mail it to Sears' warranty department, the local manager, the district manager and Panasonic. It is odd, but corporations seem to take a little more interest when someone takes the time to actually write and mail a letter.

I hope everything works out for you.
MJHanna
You might ask here if others have had that problem.
http://pub1.ezboard.com/bdigitaltelevisionhdtvforum
bd1308
in laptops, a bad inverter card will blow the florescent light tube....and in THERORY a LCD TV is the same principle....I would make a case to get the inverter card checked....has the TV ****EVER***** made a high-pitched whining noise???? (Keep in mind that some can't hear high frequencies--I can...and it's a pain sometimes)
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 20 2005, 02:29 PM)
in laptops, a bad inverter card will blow the florescent light tube....and in THERORY a LCD TV is the same principle....I would make a case to get the inverter card checked....has the TV ****EVER***** made a high-pitched whining noise???? (Keep in mind that some can't hear high frequencies--I can...and it's a pain sometimes)

and some of us have tenitis and hear a high pitched whine ALL THE FUCKIN TIME dry.gif oh well, walking around with a ringing in my ear is a small price to pay for seeing Ozzy! rocking nana.gif
DougC
Good info here guys, I appreciate it! I've never heard any strange noise from the set. There is supposed to be a message pop up on the screen when the lamp has reached a certain number of life hours, and we don't get that..just a blank screen and a little red flashing light at the bottom of the set labled "lamp".
Funny thing is, when it happened the first time the Sears repair man ordered the lamp to be sent directly to my house and suggested that I replace it myself. He showed me how, and I swear it couldn't be easier, I think a child could do it. So the $300 lamp came a few days later and I installed it myself, no problem.. but then like two days later another (brand new) lamp shows up at my doorstep from the same vendor, shipped by mistake I assume (it wasn't returned). So I got 2 of these expensive lamps, I have a new one I could put in right now but I don't want to if it's only going to last 6 more months and then this happen again.

Doug C
bd1308
hearing is one thing i am REAL careful of. I had like 9070970912 ear infections between ages 3 and 13....it was REAL bad. I treasure my hearing and I feel blessed to be able to hear. I love music.....
stevenhaas
Same thing happened with mine.... I got the extended warrenty right after that! they say it last like 50,000 hours or something. I didnt think I washed that much TV.... blink.gif
bondo
Is this an LCD rear projection TV, or a flat panel LCD?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 20 2005, 02:44 PM)
hearing is one thing i am REAL careful of. I had like 9070970912 ear infections between ages 3 and 13....it was REAL bad. I treasure my hearing and I feel blessed to be able to hear. I love music.....

I started off bad, had "tubes" in my ears 2 different times, tons of infections... but I didn't take car of my ears like I should have... I installed car stereos for about 6 years, and attended metal concerts reguraly, mostly small venues(which are twice as loud IMHO) the combination of the 2, as well as cruisin' with my own stereo on 11 to boot has left me with a roaring/ringing that I'll always have, I'm told.. it's gotten better, but will never go away...

I hear fine, no detectable hearing loss, but anytime there's a lot of background noise, coupled with my own constant roaring, I have to be paying attention to anything I want to hear... otherwise it all just is white noise...

to think that I used to call the guys at concerts who wore earplugs "pussies"... I guess I was the dumbass!
bd1308
i wish i had earplugs at the concert i went to....i just get scared to death about loosing hearing....or sight for that matter. but if it happens, it happens.

I have subs in my 914...and i hate to have it up loud at all.

your amp goes to 11 too?

I have ADD too, most of everything i hear is white noise anyway.....right now i have like russian TV playing and looking at 4 computers on the workbench.....in a way i am glad I have ADD, but i get distracted ALOT!!!!
DougC
It's a Flat Panel LCD, and it has no where near the lamp life on it I'm sure...on either of the bulbs that have been in it so far. I wonder if a Panasonic tech would come out to the house if I raise enough hell. Maybe I could get the thing properly calibrated at the same time, have him check all the settings, etc.

Doug C
bondo
QUOTE (DougC @ May 20 2005, 01:28 PM)
It's a Flat Panel LCD, and it has no where near the lamp life on it I'm sure...on either of the bulbs that have been in it so far. I wonder if a Panasonic tech would come out to the house if I raise enough hell. Maybe I could get the thing properly calibrated at the same time, have him check all the settings, etc.

Doug C

Maybe it isn't the lamp this time, but the inverter. I'd try the new lamp just to make sure it's a repeat and not something new.
bd1308
have the guy check the inverter. I bet that is what is going on.....the inverter is blowing those tubes. are you sure it's JUST the tubes? You should probably ask for the broken parts just to make sure you know what was replaced.

sorry for getting off-topic.....

so yes, i would raise hell because inverters and tubes (which dont often die IMO) are very expensive and early-death would be likely caused by a faulty inverter or power source.....fluctualtions in power causes this too. Don't let them walk you out of the dorr until you get WHAT YOU WANT.
DougC
Thanks, I'll be sure to have them check the invertor. I was the one that replaced the bulb last time and it was definately broken, you could see it clearly. Question is, what's doing it? We'll see about that invertor this time.

Doug C
bd1308
like physically broken????? ohmy.gif wow. thats wierd. I would check the mounting for the bulb...maybe secure the bulb better.....
DougC
Actually, the bulb is inside of a plastic box and the whole assembly is replaced (slides in and out). You could see the broken bulb through the window of the plastic box. Looked as if it had gotten too hot and shattered, but I can hear the fan run so I don't know if heat had anything to do with it.

Doug C
bd1308
wait....do you have one of those projection TVs...or a true LCD flatscreen laptopscreen sized TV?
DougC
No, it's a true LCD Flatscreen tv like a 50" laptop screen. It's an awsome TV, very thin and wide. You can actually run it as a monitor for your computer, a huge screen..you can even split the screen where you have computer on one side and tv running on the other. I love it but this lamp thing is a pain in the ass.

Doug C
bd1308
i imagine so.....damn i can picture it in my mind and it looks awesome....that thing does suck...if its user-serviceable, the part should have its OWN warranty....i'd check that out....the more you bitch, the more likely you will get free replacement
Verruckt
Sears will return ANYTHING. I have seen people take back a riding lawnmower at the end of the summer and say "I don't need it any more". When I worked there, I was amazed at the kind of stuff they would take back. I would however, try and return it on a friday or saturday evening when they are VERY busy. They will be much more inclined to get you to shutup and go away if you know what I mean. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.