Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield rubber seal to Targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
A plea to Mikey as I know he lives here on World.

Bought 914 Rubber "late" rubber package in Nov 2015. just finished the build getting the car back on the road in late July. All is good except for the windshield rubber seal that accepts the Targa top. I have to fold the seal into the leading edge of the top with a plastic "bondo" spreader to get the seal into the top. Time consuming and quite difficult. Tried early and late tops, 4 in total, and all have this difficulty.

Car is a 1974 2 liter

Have you done a Gen 1 design of this seal that eliminates this issue. Seems we had this discussion and you stated that a new design would be released soon.

Any one else have this issue or am I the only one ??
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 22 2017, 09:20 AM) *

Bought 914 Rubber "late" rubber package in Nov 2015. just finished the build getting the car back on the road in late July. All is good except for the windshield rubber seal that accepts the Targa top. I have to fold the seal into the leading edge of the top with a plastic "bondo" spreader to get the seal into the top. Time consuming and quite difficult. Tried early and late tops, 4 in total, and all have this difficulty.

Car is a 1974 2 liter

Have you done a Gen 1 design of this seal that eliminates this issue. Seems we had this discussion and you stated that a new design would be released soon.

bought and installed my seal about the same time you bought yours so I would imagine its the same one- I found it tight but once the top was installed and pressed it into place I was good to go. if its not tight you wont have a good seal , im sure Mark will comment soon. I'm not sure what you are saying, once I installed the top the first time and it helped push the seal fully into place it was a perfect fit, when the top pulls off if its been on for a while it tends to stick a bit but the seal stays in place and makes a perfect seal, ive never had to push the seal back into place after that , maybe if you posted a few pictures of what you have going on it would give us a better idea of the issue you are facing?
ConeDodger
I recall using weatherstrip adhesive sparingly and putting the top in place for a few days to 'set' it. It's golden now!
SO.O.C914er
I like putting the idea of putting the top on. Makes sense that it would form properly agree.gif
SO.O.C914er
O'boy that was good chair.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 22 2017, 06:20 AM) *

Car is a 1974 2 liter

I'm also dealing with another customer that has had an issue similar. Not quite sure what the issue is here. I've had no negative input recently, so I'm wondering what we are seeing here. These look like they should fit but the corners are farther forward????

I'll share some pics maybe you can post some up here too.

The problem"seems" that the corners are holding the top back. He has checked the tabs in the corner and it's almost like it's being held off.
Has anyone else seen this?

The consensus seems to be the top section is too big. It is however a hollow and from my experience and design (duplicated factory profile)

The only thing I can think possibly could have happened is the metal came out of the fold at some point and it didn't get back in squarely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.