Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wicker Bill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
Is it an attachment on the edge fo the spoiler? Not the spoiler itself.
What is its function, or aide to the spoiler? Any pictures?

Thanks
TimT
A wicker.. is a slang term for a "gurney flap" which is the name of an aero device that Dan Gurney invented

basically its a piece of sheet metal, or aluminum angle that has a vertical leg that at the trailing edge of a wing

TimT

the wicker effectively lengthens the spoiler.. it extends the point where the air flowing over the spoiler reconnnects..
Mueller
QUOTE (retrotech @ May 20 2005, 06:33 PM)
Is it an attachment on the edge fo the spoiler? Not the spoiler itself.

Thanks

I believe it supposed to increase the speed of the air going over/under/thru the wing....depends on how you mount it....

sound correct Tim??? smile.gif
TimT
heheh some wicker data
swood
Can't quite read it...can you blow it up a bit?

blink.gif
retrotech
Please try to repost info.
I would like to see pictures of variations. Anyone using one, on a 914 application?
maf914
QUOTE (retrotech @ May 20 2005, 07:41 PM)
I would like to see pictures of variations. Anyone using one, on a 914 application?

They are usually used on true wings. Often there is a slot built into upper surface at the rear of the wing. This goes across the width and the wicker or flap slides into the slot. This wicker acts as a spoiler across the upper surface of the wing. It increases downforce, but also drag. Changing the size of the wicker allows the aero performance to be tuned. Sometimes during pit stops the crew will remove a wicker when handling requires it.
Mrs. K
cool.gif Here is a picture of a spoiler and wicker bill strip on a CHAMP car from the Long Beach grand prix.
slivel
I put one one my spoiler. Not sure if it works but I won my class at Las Vegas. Sorry that I don't have a better picture. The car is not at home right now.
TimT
I resized the scan I posted, didnt realize it was so hugantic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.