Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok- got spark, got some gas...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
i put another set of new wires on the motor today. Double checked everything. Stuck another battery in there w/ alittle more life in it. I thought maybe the direction of the rotor was effecting fitment of the wires, so i pressed the pin out of the bottom of the distributor, turned the lower plate, and put it back together. The rotor faces 180 from before, but still the wires didnt fit right. Has anyone else had this problem w/ wires not fitting. #2 is like three inches too short! In every set ive tried!

Anyway, engine still just cranks. Im getting some spark, but seems like no gas. I bought a noid light and all injectors are getting pulse. Pulled the injectors and had them spray into a glass bottle while cranking. # 1,2,4 were all perfect, but #3 does nothing. Checked pulse again , perfect. Checked and pressure is fine. Stuck one of my spare injectors in, still nothing. then another and another. Checked the #4 injector w/ the signal from #3, perfect. Tomorrow im going to try to switch injectors and see, but is there some reason the first injector on the system would not get gas besides a bad injector like not enough pressure or something????????

Interesting enough, while cranking the motor w/ #3,4 injectors completely out, the motor almost tried to fire up! As soon as this injector problem is solved, im thinking she will be running, hopefully tomorrow morning!!! For now all i have is a pic of the one seat i put in last nite w// the custom fabbed brakets.
CptTripps
You go dude....kick that thing in the ass and get er runnin!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 21 2005, 12:48 AM)
i pressed the pin out of the bottom of the distributor, turned the lower plate, and put it back together.

...Has anyone else had this problem w/ wires not fitting. #2 is like three inches too short! In every set ive tried!

...is there some reason the first injector on the system would not get gas besides a bad injector like not enough pressure or something????????

i think the flipped dizzy trick is going to cause a bunch of confusion down the line and IMO it's something you should change when you get a chance.

i gotta ask these questions. sometime we're too close to the problem to see other things... BTDT... so - things to be SURE of...

are you sure you have the wires going to the right plugs? it's *real* easy to install them 90 degrees out, or countreclockwise when they should be clockwise. firing order - 1-4-3-2 ... this assumes you know where #1 is, and after the Great Dizzy Flipping Adventure, that reference couldda got lost...

at this point, i'd suggest popping the valve cover over #1 and VERIFY that everything points where it's supposed to.

re: fitment -- do you have another wire that's 3" too long? maybe they don't go where you'd intuitively think. but i HAVE heard of fitment issues - evidently some parts books think all 4-cyl Porsches are the same (they're not) and that all 914/4 are the same (they're not). the fact that people build 2,0 engines with heads from other flavors complicates things too. i'm not qualified to help you spot the differences, but hopefully this will jog the memory of someone who does T-IV's...

your noid light draws almost zero current, but it takes a pretty hefty current to fire an injector. you know the injector is good from when you fired it with #3's wire. could be the ground for #4's injector is flaky, or you have a wire in the bundle that's hanging by a thread; this problem is pretty common with the old, brittle harnesses still in service. IIRC all the grounds tie at a common collection point - make sure the connection there is sparkly. if you have a bad wire in the bundle i donno what to suggest except that Jeff Bowlsby's reman harnesses are excellent...
xsboost90
i set the engine to tdc when i reset the distributor. Now tdc points to the timing hole like someone said it was supposed to. I have a blue #1 wire due to parting a whole set together from two, and clockwise its 1432 like it says right on the tins. The cylinders are also labeled on the tins. Ill figure it out, eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.