Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATE Master Cylinder Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ed_Turbo
Quick question, I noticed a hole on the rubber boot. Anyone with knowledge about these Master Cylinders know if this is normal? Looks like a hole to relieve air. Just want to double check before installing, thanks. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
DM_2000
I've seen this on other brands or they at least have a groove / hole at the end of the master cylinder. ( hole pointing down. )

If the last seal in the MC leaks brake fluid, these holes let it leak out signaling a problem.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 23 2017, 04:07 PM) *

I've seen this on other brands or they at least have a groove / hole at the end of the master cylinder. ( hole pointing down. )

If the last seal in the MC leaks brake fluid, these holes let it leak out signaling a problem.

That makes sense idea.gif
914Sixer
Hole goes down. Weep hole to let you know you have a problem.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 23 2017, 07:02 PM) *

Actually it points to the side not down.

I think I am just making too much of a big deal out of this laugh.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Sep 24 2017, 03:18 PM) *

Basically it is a breather for the bellows as they are tight fit on the rod and cylinder ...just not an issue go well you will be fine beer.gif .
76-914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 23 2017, 09:12 PM) *

Basically it is a breather for the bellows as they are tight fit on the rod and cylinder ...just not an issue go well you will be fine beer.gif .

That's what I was thinking, too. The fluid will find its way out one way or another. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 25 2017, 06:36 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 23 2017, 09:12 PM) *

That's what I was thinking, too. The fluid will find its way out one way or another. beerchug.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif think the OP found that out already with his old one headbang.gif .
Mikey914
It's for air
The cylinder should not leak here ................... wait for it .................................
Unless it's a URO and it will pump all your fluid out this hole providing no braking whatsoever
GeorgeRud
I'd assume that it's there to just provide release for air, but having brake fluid coming out would definitely tell you it's time for a new one.
Ed_Turbo
Quick update:

E-Mailed ATE and a german guy told me the hole is normal (he said 1.5mm). The hole is for air to release during operation and should be pointed down.

For those who said it was for air good job first.gif
IronHillRestorations
If it leaks you don't know it until your brakes go bad or you notice the MC level is low. You really can't see the fluid leaking on the floor until it get catastrophic, the pedal board is in the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.