Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
I want to put 25mm [1"] spacers on my front wheels of my GT conversion to bring the wheels out a bit further,if i were to put these on what if any problems could this cause to the car
Thanks Brian
SixerJ
Guess it largely depends on the rims / offset you are running

GT spares list - Not sure why two part numbers for the 21mm, difference in the 6 or 7" rim? I'm not too good on the SWB 911 parts

Click to view attachment
porschetub
No real problems if you choose a good spacer,I prefer H&R brand because they fit properly,end of story,you just don't cheap on parts like this,these are not cheap.
Click to view attachment
Check your wheel bearing before fitting and torque them correctly to the hub,you will be good.
drifter914
Four lug or five ? If you have a 5-stud conversion, you can use longer studs in the rotors & 1" slip over spacers. Not sure of supplier of spacers, but T3 Technique in Redmond, Wa has amazing supplies of wheel studs, bolts. 425.836.5983.
Best wishes... Terry
Mike Bellis
Spacers on the front change the scrub radius. It will make it harder to steer at slow speeds and affect the high speed turning and centering slightly.

Google scrub radius for more info.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 24 2017, 12:38 PM) *

No real problems if you choose a good spacer,I prefer H&R brand because they fit properly,end of story,you just don't cheap on parts like this,these are not cheap.
Click to view attachment
Check your wheel bearing before fitting and torque them correctly to the hub,you will be good.

agree.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(drifter914 @ Sep 25 2017, 12:53 PM) *

Four lug or five ? If you have a 5-stud conversion, you can use longer studs in the rotors & 1" slip over spacers. Not sure of supplier of spacers, but T3 Technique in Redmond, Wa has amazing supplies of wheel studs, bolts. 425.836.5983.
Best wishes... Terry

As an engineer the concept of studs that long concerns me,but that just me,I know people on here have done it and Porsche did it on the early 944 with the spacer they used in the rear of those cars.
The 30mm H&R one I showed is actually a spacer adaptor,I prefer this type of design for the thicker spacers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2017, 01:45 PM) *
The 30mm H&R one I showed is actually a spacer adaptor,I prefer this type of design for the thicker spacers.

Those are also illegal in most (if not all) racing organizations. Probably fine for street driving though.

I have 100mm wheel studs on all 4 corners on my car with no ill effects.
The long studs allow me to quickly change wheels and spacers of various sizes.
bye1.gif
mepstein
A friend of mine races his Cobra with 3” of spacers over extra long studs. Passes tech and no issues.
mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2017, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Those are also illegal in most (if not all) racing organizations. Probably fine for street driving though.

I have 100mm wheel studs on all 4 corners on my car with no ill effects.
The long studs allow me to quickly change wheels and spacers of various sizes.
bye1.gif

Andy, is that the total length of your wheel studs or the exposed length only?
bdstone914
QUOTE(cal914 @ Sep 24 2017, 12:04 PM) *

I want to put 25mm [1"] spacers on my front wheels of my GT conversion to bring the wheels out a bit further,if i were to put these on what if any problems could this cause to the car
Thanks Brian

What exactly are they going onto? 911 aluminum hubs?
From what I have seen Porsche only uses up to 19mm spacers with 65mm studs on spacers. With thicker spacers they go to the bolt on adapters. Consider if 19mm 944 spacers and studs will work. I have a set if you are interested.
GeorgeRud
Drive a car with the increased scrub radius before spending the money - it’s not that much fun. Even the difference between 7” and the original 5 1/2” wheels is noticeable between my 914-6 and my GT flared conversion.
Chris914n6
From the flared cars I've driven, it makes the steering harder, but it's not bad unless you have girl muscles.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2017, 01:02 PM) *

Are you sure? The wording that I remember is "spacer that changes the bolt pattern". Spacers similar to the one above were used on the early 930s; hopefully those weren't problematic...

--DD
gms
I prefer this type (which require longer lug studs), they are from the 944 and readily available

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 27 2017, 12:29 PM) *

Are you sure? The wording that I remember is "spacer that changes the bolt pattern". Spacers similar to the one above were used on the early 930s; hopefully those weren't problematic...

The way i have always seen it worded is that any bolt on spacer is not permitted and i have actually never seen bolt on spacers that did *not* change the bolt pattern.
idea.gif
Dave_Darling
The ones shown above don't change it--it's still 5x130mm. They do rotate the pattern, of course...

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 27 2017, 03:03 PM) *

From the flared cars I've driven, it makes the steering harder, but it's not bad unless you have girl muscles.

Yeh... I told my wife that she's has been driving my 914 too much lately.

IPB Image
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 28 2017, 09:29 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif see no issue,extended studs well that's a risk the owner takes,people buy by cost on these ....price out genuine and see.
The spacer I showed would be fine for the OP cause he won't need extended studs.
RickS
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 24 2017, 04:09 PM) *

Spacers on the front change the scrub radius. It will make it harder to steer at slow speeds and affect the high speed turning and centering slightly.

Google scrub radius for more info.

How do they affect high speed turning? More twitchy or less responsive?
Rand
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 27 2017, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 27 2017, 03:03 PM) *

Yeh... I told my wife that she's has been driving my 914 too much lately.

IPB Image

She been working that hard on her kegels too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.