Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Fuel Pump 1973 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Dbath
HI does anyone have a fuel pump for sale in the Los Angeles area? Or know anywhere I can pick one up?

I see Auto Atlanta sells one but would rather pick it up local and get for cheaper if possible. I don't mind if its used or rebuilt etc... Thanks!

Dustin
ndfrigi
Try Napa Auto Parts, look for the 2 port fuel pump and it is better instead of the 3 port. 2 port eliminate the extra return line.

http://ww.w.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=293742
euro911
QUOTE(Dbath @ Sep 25 2017, 04:54 PM) *

HI does anyone have a fuel pump for sale in the Los Angeles area? Or know anywhere I can pick one up?

I see Auto Atlanta sells one but would rather pick it up local and get for cheaper if possible. I don't mind if its used or rebuilt etc... Thanks!

Dustin
Picking the correct pump would depend on they year of your car and if you're running F.I. or carbs.

What do you have in your engine bay?
Dbath
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 25 2017, 06:37 PM) *

Try Napa Auto Parts, look for the 2 port fuel pump and it is better instead of the 3 port. 2 port eliminate the extra return line.

Thanks I will check that out!
Dbath
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 26 2017, 12:58 AM) *

Dustin
Picking the correct pump would depend on they year of your car and if you're running F.I. or carbs.

Its a 1973 2.0 with F.I.

Will that Napa/Bosch option work for that? Thanks Mark!
napasteve
Dbath, look at the post listed above:

The Bosch 2 post pump works but you have to relocate the pump on the back firewall as it won't fit in the stock position.

FYI if you want my old 3 post original pump, I'll ship it to you for shipping cost only. It may need to be rebuilt; I didn't determine if it worked or not after I pulled it.
euro911
QUOTE(Dbath @ Sep 26 2017, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 26 2017, 12:58 AM) *

Dustin

Its a 1973 2.0 with F.I.

Will that Napa/Bosch option work for that? Thanks Mark!
Not sure about the specific NAPA part#, but you'll want an F.I. pump, capable of at least 30psi. Pumps for carbs are only 3~5 psi.

Looks like some other guys have pointed you in the right direction shades.gif
PlaysWithCars
I have a 3-port for your application that was a replacement unit w/ low miles before is was pulled off of the car. All o-rings were replaced this spring to ensure the pump was ready to go. $200 shipped to your door.
Click to view attachment
Dbath
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Sep 28 2017, 08:44 AM) *

I have a 3-port for your application that was a replacement unit w/ low miles before is was pulled off of the car. All o-rings were replaced this spring to ensure the pump was ready to go. $200 shipped to your door.
Click to view attachment

Thanks guys and thanks Mark for the offer! I actually went with the NAPA fuel pump and it’s working great so far. Thanks for the help!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Dbath @ Oct 4 2017, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Sep 28 2017, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks guys and thanks Mark for the offer! I actually went with the NAPA fuel pump and it’s working great so far. Thanks for the help!

Nice!
ClayPerrine
Just find an Airtex E8445 or equivalent. It is a 2 port pump that is available at FLAPS, and produces the correct pressure and volume for the stock Fuel Injection.
PlaysWithCars
Anyone know why Porsche originally used a 3-port pump on our cars? The 2-port seems to be a lot simpler installation and likely would have been lower cost for them to use. Makes me think that they had a legit reason for the 3-port.

The only possible reason I've come up with is what happens if the high pressure supply line, after the pump, somehow becomes blocked in a 2-port installation? Is there any way for the pressure to be relieved or does it find a leak path? Which would likely be very unfortunate when the pump is mounted next to the exhaust. That's really the only situation where the pressure relief is engaged in the 3-port installation and returns fuel through the return line.
euro911
It's not going to drain fuel to the atmosphere, it's directed back into the flow, but relocating the pump to the front of the car (under the fuel tank) will keep it away from the heat from the exhaust.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
It's been reported, and first hand experience agrees, they went to the two port pump and moved it to the from too escape the dreaded vapor lock. I moved the pump on my 73 to the front trunk for that very reason in 78. Pump never lock again after that. The pump was situated about an inch away and directly in the path of the dump from the heater valve
euro911
I'm going to take the 2-port 30psi pump that was in my '75 and install under the fuel tank of the '71 (we're keeping the D-jet system in the '71).
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 6 2017, 08:39 AM) *

It's been reported, and first hand experience agrees, they went to the two port pump and moved it to the from too escape the dreaded vapor lock. I moved the pump on my 73 to the front trunk for that very reason in 78. Pump never lock again after that. The pump was situated about an inch away and directly in the path of the dump from the heater valve

Yes, I've moved the pump to the trunk on all of my cars to avoid vapor lock. But, in that case I've been even more keen to have the pressure relief valve on the pump. Otherwise if the supply line, return line, or regulator, become plugged in the engine compartment, the fuel line(s) running through the tunnel become highly pressurized (50+psi). Not a good situation in my opinion. Especially if you still have the original plastic lines in there.

Maybe the newer 2-port pumps can't build that much pressure? The 3-ports will go beyond 50psi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.