Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
This COA was shown with a car in the classifieds section. I'm curious about a couple items listed.

Radio-I thought ALL radios were dealer installed, how would Porsche know which one the dealer added to a car?

Bilstein shocks-weren't those standard?

Vented brake rotors-likewise, weren't fronts standard on a /6?Click to view attachment
Pursang
I don't know the answer to your questions but I have one of my own; how does one get a COA in the first place?
r_towle
The records for the 356 were all on codex cards, hand transferred to these COA documents.
It may be possible that the data collection from the dealerships sent back to HQ got much better in the 70's versus the 60's.
That may explain dealer installed options showing up on these COA documents.
Tom_T
See my comments inserted into your message in blue below....

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 28 2017, 08:13 PM) *

This COA was shown with a car in the classifieds section. I'm curious about a couple items listed.

Radio-I thought ALL radios were dealer installed, how would Porsche know which one the dealer added to a car?

No, there were rarely factory ordered radios. See Jeff Bowlsby's 914 site options section for the option number on the radios & these other options.

Bilstein shocks-weren't those standard?

I know that the base/stock was Boge (black) shocks & struts for the 4's, & AFAIK for the 6's too - but maybe a six-pert can confirm that here. Also check at Jeff's option list.

Vented brake rotors-likewise, weren't fronts standard on a /6?

I don't think they were stock on a 6, but check on Jeff's listing, & hopefully a 6-pert will chime in.

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Racer
COA's have changed over the years in appearance and what they share. The one pictured from 16 yrs ago is formatted differently from today's. That said:

radios were available from the factory.
boge struts were standard, bilsteins optional.
6's have vented front rotors, solid rear rotors.

Kinda like when you read a new car window sticker and they put things like "wheels" or "seats" as standard. no shit sherlock.

I am told nowadays, you need to supply the engine # of the car in question, and when they create the COA they add next to it only if that number is matching or not, rather than tell you the number it should have.
burton73
Not a lot of info on #41. from Feb, 2007

Bob BClick to view attachment
Coondog
Kinda on the fence about ordering one, really what's it going to tell me that I don't already know... confused24.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 29 2017, 10:07 AM) *

Not a lot of info on #41. from Feb, 2007

Bob BClick to view attachment

Same for me from May of this year. Although will be contacting Porsche to update it to the correct color L96M on the chassis plate.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Pretty much worthless unless you're competing in a PCA Concours.
burton73
If your six has it original Eng. you have the number from the factory. More than bragging rites to some buyers. I don’t have the original Eng. but I knew that, as I had the original service book with my car so I had dates and numbers. My COA did not have as much info as others. I do not know if that was because my car was so early?

Bob B
bbrock
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 29 2017, 02:12 PM) *

If your six has it original Eng. you have the number from the factory. More than bragging rites to some buyers. I don’t have the original Eng. but I knew that, as I had the original service book with my car so I had dates and numbers. My COA did not have as much info as others. I do not know if that was because my car was so early?

Bob B

If you do have the original engine, will the COA confirm it? I have no reason to believe my engine isn't the original so was hoping a COA would confirm. Also looking for confirmation that my car came with performance group but NOT appearance group. If not, then I'll need to alter my restoration plan a little.

I also have the original warranty/service book but they didn't bother to fill in the engine number. slap.gif
fixer34
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 29 2017, 06:22 PM) *

Bob B

If you do have the original engine, will the COA confirm it? I have no reason to believe my engine isn't the original so was hoping a COA would confirm. Also looking for confirmation that my car came with performance group but NOT appearance group. If not, then I'll need to alter my restoration plan a little.

I also have the original warranty/service book but they didn't bother to fill in the engine number. slap.gif

I ordered my COA in April 2016. I sent a note with the request form listing every number I could find on the car.
My COA came back with a transmission number listed which I understand is very rare; I'm assuming that either the number matched their records or was in the allowable date range, so they included it.
There has been some other discussion on here about engine numbers, I think if the number you provide doesn't match their records, they will either leave it blank or fill in what they have listed.
As to value of the COA, some day my car will get sold. Either by me or my heirs. Matching/original numbers still commands a premium, so for the $100 it costs for a COA, I figured it was worth it.
914_7T3
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 29 2017, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 29 2017, 06:22 PM) *

Bob B

As to value of the COA, some day my car will get sold. Either by me or my heirs. Matching/original numbers still commands a premium, so for the $100 it costs for a COA, I figured it was worth it.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.