Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6 and stock tach ????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
anyone here *successfully* using the stock 914 tach with a MSD box ???
and if so, what did you do to make it work ???

i got the MSD 6 installed and running and brad told me to not hook up the stock 914 tach unless i use a MSD tach adapter.
got the adapter, but the tach ain't working ... sad.gif

i tried normal setup with diode and without. tried the MSD tach output. i'm running out of options ...
headbang.gif Andy
cgnj
Andy,

I have a 76 (black button tach) running the tach from the tach output of my box. Z may have the answer for you. I recall that he had a similar problem and I offered the adapter to him. He figured out how to make it work without. Don't know if he had a silver button tach. In my mind, if you can stick your dwell/tach on it and get a good reading, your tach should run.

Carlos

TimT
The tach adapter should work..

I have a MSD 6AL in my car, but I believe I have a late 911 tach, I have no tach adapter, Im just running the MSD tach out to the tach.. work fine.

On my early 911 I had to use the tach adapter...

I think it depends what year the tach is, early and late tachs look for different waveforms

Joe Bob
Well..his is a four mine was a six. I connected the tach input to the dizzy. The instructions said to connect to the box.

Both Manfred and Frank have early motors, tachs and are hooked the same way w/o a tach adapter. One has a MSD the other a Porsche CDI.

Both are connected to the dizzy.
SirAndy
tach output on the box does nothing for my /4 tach.
neither does the adapter ...

any ideas? anyone? confused24.gif

the tach was working fine before i installed the MSD ...
unsure.gif Andy
jim_hoyland
Are you using the 8910 Tach Adapter ?
Aaron Cox
let me go find the old thread.

here is the absics:
74 and later 'black center' tachs should work sans tach adapter.
70-73 silver centers require a jumper in the tach....

ill go find pics..... wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ May 21 2005, 07:44 PM)
Are you using the 8910 Tach Adapter ?

yes sir. but it ain't working ...

and the adapter is brand spanking new.
sad.gif Andy
iamchappy
I used the 8920 adapter with my MSD on a 1973 2.0 worked fine.
Doug Leggins
It took me a while to get my tach working using a Pertronix, MSD 6AL and the 8910 tach adapter. I had a couple of incorrectly colored wires that caused me much grief in the process. The set up was on a 72. I had a red wire coming from the relay board that should have been black/violet and a solid black wire that should have been black/red. It forced me to read and understand wiring diagrams. Once I discovered the wire color mismatch I got it hooked up and it worked just like it should.

Here are a couple of 2 pics of how I had it all hooked up. First pic covers the white wiring. Second covers the red wiring.

Also, the oragne wire from the MSD goes to the positive side of the coil. The MSD black goes to the negative side of the coil.

Do you have a Pertronix installed?

Doug Leggins
Holy shit!!! I'm amazed that I was able to get the pic to actually post like I wanted!!! biggrin.gif

Here's the red wiring. My fingers are crossed hoping that this one works also. laugh.gif
Doug Leggins
Well the pics almost worked right. unsure.gif

The first pic had a label cut off that should have been "8910 white"

The second pic had 3 labels cut off " MSD Red", "Pertronix Red", and "Red from 8910 tach adapter"
Bee Jay
Been there, done that. Got the T-shirt and hat.
Go here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ghlight=Bee+Jay
Bee Jay
smrz914
This might help you out. The PDF file is probably the most useful.

From My Webpage

I'm running a MSD 6A ignition.
agrump
This works for a Hyfire, probably would work for an MSD:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hyfire,and,tach
iamchappy
Andy the correct tach adapter is the 8920 like I have used in the past just hook it up and go, If you dont believe me look at this thread. I ended up giving my 8920 to flatforever, he and others have struggled to make the 8910 work.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....20+tach+adapter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.