Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riveted Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
At some point I would like to install steel flares on my car but due to the cost I am thinking about buying a set of fiberglass flares and rivet them on. I assume the cut you make to the stock fender for the fiberglass flares would be the same as the steel flares. Would I just purchase the fiberglass flares, for example, from Auto Atlanta or is there a kit you can purchase that includes flares with the rivets? Here is an example I found on this site.
r_towle
The cut is NOT the same.

Steel flares get butt welded to the fender, so the cut diameter is larger than fiberglass.
Using fiberglass flares you overlap the flares and bond them to the fender.
mmascari
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 1 2017, 06:44 PM) *

The cut is NOT the same.

Steel flares get butt welded to the fender, so the cut diameter is larger than fiberglass.
Using fiberglass flares you overlap the flares and bond them to the fender.

That makes sense. I suppose if they get riveted there has to be some material on the other side to rivet the flare to.
r_towle
Rivets are sometimes used to clamp them while the glue dries.
SirAndy
If you want to rivet without any bonding, use large rivets to spread the load, otherwise the FG can crack. IMHO, they also do look better.
smile.gif
JamesM
I bought my first 914 with riveted on flares. Almost 20 years later and the same rivets are holding the fenders on. I guess if it aint broke...

Click to view attachment

I believe the "kit" used to install them this way is available at home depot wink.gif

If you want to see some really cool (in my opinion) non permanent fender attachment check out Elliot's car.

Also ask him to show you his watch. lol-2.gif
bulitt
Or you can use bolts, washers, nuts. Handy to remove them to access suspension parts.
FG flares are a lot of work. They will need to be trimmed and shaped to be symmetrical. Then if you intend to leave the rivets or bolts exposed they need to be spaced equally IMHO, or they look goofy...

Click to view attachment

ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2017, 10:55 PM) *

If you want to rivet without any bonding, use large rivets to spread the load, otherwise the FG can crack. IMHO, they also do look better.
smile.gif

Mine are welded of course, but I agree. The riveted or bolted FG flares look gnarly cool! evilgrin.gif
JP3
I used stainless security bolts to put mine on.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
So who makes the best quality FG flares?

I thought QRS used to offer them but they aren't listed on their site.
JP3
I purchased mine from Patrick Motorsports. I thought the quality was pretty good. Just a little work on them for a nice fit. I used the fender welting on mine so I did not need a perfect fit.
tygaboy
QUOTE(JP3 @ Oct 2 2017, 11:34 AM) *

I purchased mine from Patrick Motorsports. I thought the quality was pretty good. Just a little work on them for a nice fit. I used the fender welting on mine so I did not need a perfect fit.

Awesome, thanks!
davehg
My Outlaw car came with the riveted flares, but I've gone back and forth about whether I like them over steel flares. I think it fits the attitude of the car, but if I had the chance to decide, I might opt for the steel flares. I might try to paint the rivets black and see if they blend better.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
Anyone rivet metal flares on?

For a true outlaw look I think it would be neat to use metal flares welded on however use a TIG and leave the welds with no grinding or filler so it would look like stitches smile.gif
Larmo63
Metal or rivet on fiberglass, 914 flares look awful (IMHO) with the warts tacked back on afterwards.

Terrible. stromberg.gif
boxstr
These are Porsche factory steel flares riveted on, and they look really good.
Craig at CAMP
davehg
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 2 2017, 07:07 PM) *

These are Porsche factory steel flares riveted on, and they look really good.
Craig at CAMP

It’s settled / I’m painting my rivets black. Looks great.
VaccaRabite
I agree with the folks that said the rivets with welting looks awesome.

If it were me, I'd use dzus fasteners so you could remove the flares for service, etc. One of those tings that once you use them once, its hard to imagine using anything else.

Zach
DM_2000
Removable flares really don't make the easier any easier to work on however, they do reduce bodywork required and can be installed without repainting the car. This last bit is a huge advantage. I can't tell in the pics but some fender welting / beading would help seal the flare so water does not splash through the seam.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 3 2017, 03:07 PM) *

Removable flares really don't make the easier any easier to work on however, they do reduce bodywork required and can be installed without repainting the car. This last bit is a huge advantage. I can't tell in the pics but some fender welting / beading would help seal the flare so water does not splash through the seam.

All told, you can have upwards of $4000 into welded on steel so rivit or bonded fiberglass starts to look really good as an alternative...
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2017, 04:27 PM) *

All told, you can have upwards of $4000 into welded on steel so rivit or bonded fiberglass starts to look really good as an alternative...

It’s an alternative but a nicely done steel flare is a beautiful thing.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2017, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2017, 04:27 PM) *

It’s an alternative but a nicely done steel flare is a beautiful thing.

Oh, I totally agree! Thank you McMark! biggrin.gif
Front yard mechanic
More and more cars being flaired make the narrow cars worth more beerchug.gif
DM_2000
The issue with fiberglass to steel is differing expansion rates that will eventually lead to cracking.

Have a look at my post 14 for bonding steel flares.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317169

mepstein
The issue with bonding on steel flares is that they are made to be welded. When a part is made to be bonded, the area that gets the glue is shaped differently. You can’t just lay the flare on the fender and apply glue. It would take a redesign of the flare and a way to flange the cut fender area. Same issues on the longitudinal reinforcements. It needs to be designed for adhesive from the ground up.
Larmo63
In a couple more years, every 914 will be flared.
Mike Bellis
You need tri fold split rivets. You also need some rubber fender welting. The heads of my rivets are 3/8"

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.