Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 on nos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144guy
mabey a old subject...but..,.... wacko.gif yes..yess.yesss..i know people have alot of diffrences on nos, from what i have heard it can be very dang. on these engines. i know what nos does, but i havent ever seen or/ driven a car with it. has anyone done this? or is it wast of money,and/or reliable? its been picking at me for a while.
9144guy
uhhh typo..maybe a old subject
scotty914
a 25 or 50 shot using the cold start injector for extra fuel would not be too bad as long as you did not use it all of the time
9144guy
would you have a meltdown if you used it alot?
Joe Bob
On a 30 year old engine....just a matter of time.
scotty914
QUOTE (9144guy @ May 21 2005, 07:54 PM)
would you have a meltdown if you used it alot?

yes, but if you where lucky you might only have a leaking head
9144guy
the guy befoe me went with new jugs and pist. to a 1.9 L i and checking everything and a cleanup on the engine
Joe Bob
The hard part is getting an equal shot to all four cylinders thru one throttle body.
scotty914
getting an equal charge with the new fogger systems for 50 shot or lower is not hard. the funny part is that the fogger systems cool the intake charge to like 50 degrees f below 0. i read some where that the cooling efects of a 50 shot is worth like 15 to 20 hp on its own.
9144guy
very interesting....
SirAndy
QUOTE (9144guy @ May 21 2005, 08:39 PM)
has anyone done this?

one of our local AX guys here was running NOS is his /4 banger.
got banned by PCA after he started winning ...

they changed the rules on him!
wacko.gif Andy
John Kelly
I ran 100 shot through fogger jets with a nitrous controller on a 1776cc VW engine. A real kick, but a lot of stress on the engine. Never broke anything, but the temptation to race on the street is a bit overwhelming.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Eric_Shea
Here was my theory:

* Use a 6 cylinder distribution block.
* Plumb 4 injectors to the base of each intake.
* Plumb 2 injectors to each side of the fan shroud as it goes to cool the heads.

It's a loose theory based upon a few things:

1. I heard that head temperatures would be the main issue.
2. I saw a car that used nitrous just to cool the intercooler.

I tought that by plumbing nitrous into the cool air stream you would effectively help cool the engine at the same time the nitrous on the inside was heating it up. confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 22 2005, 08:02 AM)
Here was my theory:

* Plumb 2 injectors to each side of the fan shroud as it goes to cool the heads.

I tought that by plumbing nitrous into the cool air stream you would effectively help cool the engine at the same time the nitrous on the inside was heating it up. confused24.gif

who do you think you are rube goldberg?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (messix @ May 22 2005, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 22 2005, 08:02 AM)
Here was my theory:

I tought that by plumbing nitrous into the cool air stream you would effectively help cool the engine at the same time the nitrous on the inside was heating it up.   confused24.gif

so where does the dry ice go again? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea

Sure... 47 simple steps to nitrous on your 914. laugh.gif

Actually I thought it was quite elementary confused24.gif

Step 1 - Buy the six cylinder system.
Step 2 - Drop a spare pair of intake manifolds off at the machine shop.
Step 3 - Tap the shroud.
Step 4 - Bolt it together.
Step 5 - Enjoy. driving.gif
rhodyguy
buy a mustang or a Z28 for the nos. cheaper than a type 4 engine.

k
John Kelly
Never had a problem with over-heating...the things to watch out for are a lean condition, and too much nitrous for your crank and other internals. If the engine is built stout, you can get a way with it. You only use it for a few seconds at a time. A nitrous controller makes it adjustable for retarded timing during use, and other variables. I would not run a large amount of nitrous without one.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
messix
no2 has come along ways. there are some really high tech equipement now to run this stuff, timed and progressive controlers, staged set ups an such. and all the ingnition control you could imagine. be careful though you can break things with this stuff [pinston rings and lands, cranks crackheads and blow haed gaskets]! and melt down an engine really fast, spark plugs go real regular and pistons.
9144guy
aktion035.gif thanks for all the comments, heres a pic of my motor, took it out and dressing it
914rrr
Back in the late 70's an Import Shop in Louisville Ky (Stein Automotive) ran a home brewed NO system on a 1.7. I remember something about using a 2nd set of injectors for fueling while on the bottle. Big fun wathcing it on the AX course, LOTS of tire smoke and spins. They claimed to have outrun a 260Z on top end (140MPH+) with this setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.