Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
I purchased a heater cable from Stoddard's a while back and it is to short. The car is a 76 but has early heat exchangers and parts. What is the correct part? I s there two different lengths?
confused24.gif
rhodyguy
Just one side or both?
JawjaPorsche
A lot of heater cables are bent wrong. If you still have your old cable, measure to determine correct length. Then straighten your new cable then rebend at correct spot.

Passenger side is longer.
80cap
The cable won't reach either flapper control. It's just to short. There must be two sizes.
mepstein
There are two sizes. 914rubber makes both.
914dave
Two sizes? Learned something new. Mine came up short with the aftermarket six heat exchangers and I thought they were wrong. Went thru the process of making extensions. Guess I'll have to give Mark a call. Click to view attachment
Porschef
Those are very nice. I had replaced my cables when I backdated the exhaust, never thought to measure new vs old. Either way, there's some adjustability with the flapper's clamps, and making sure that they're just fully closed when the heat lever is pushed all the way down is critical to both ensuring no heat enters the cabin when unwanted, and fully open on them chilly days...
mepstein
QUOTE(914dave @ Oct 7 2017, 06:43 AM) *

Two sizes? Learned something new. Mine came up short with the aftermarket six heat exchangers and I thought they were wrong. Went thru the process of making extensions. Guess I'll have to give Mark a call. Click to view attachment

Making cool stuff while some of us can barely assemble cool stuff is sort of unfair. biggrin.gif
TX914
QUOTE(80cap @ Oct 7 2017, 05:17 AM) *

The cable won't reach either flapper control. It's just to short. There must be two sizes.

Note the actuating levers on the control boxes face upwards. Otherwise at least one side of the cable will be too short if not both. I have a 76 with backdated exhaust and I'm pretty sure I have the 70-74 cable which fits correctly.
914Sixer
There is 3 DIFFERENT cables. One for the -6, one for all the 70-74 engines and a third set for the 75-76.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 7 2017, 09:10 AM) *

There is 3 DIFFERENT cables. One for the -6, one for all the 70-74 engines and a third set for the 75-76.

I don’t know if Mikey made the 6 version. I hope so.

Edit - he has it listed but not in stock. I need a couple.
Matty900
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2017, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 7 2017, 09:10 AM) *

I don’t know if Mikey made the 6 version. I hope so.

Edit - he has it listed but not in stock. I need a couple.

We make them so, don't worry about the inventory count on website. We also make the "nipples that go on the end of the tubes comming out of the firewall too. Along with related items http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...keywords=Heater

beerchug.gif
914dave
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2017, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Oct 7 2017, 06:43 AM) *

Making cool stuff while some of us can barely assemble cool stuff is sort of unfair. biggrin.gif

It's the only small advantage I have in this world. So I'll try not to feel guilty about it. Hehe
Mikey914
A benefit of actually being a manufacturer is if yon need a custom length it's easily done. Also when you see stuff is out of stock, it often means we haven't updated the inventory and we can easily confirm with a call.
We don't charge extra for custom lengths, but will need you to call out how long you want the cables.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 8 2017, 04:54 PM) *

A benefit of actually being a manufacturer is if yon need a custom length it's easily done. Also when you see stuff is out of stock, it often means we haven't updated the inventory and we can easily confirm with a call.
We don't charge extra for custom lengths, but will need you to call out how long you want the cables.

smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Wait, 914s have heaters???
rstover
I had same problem. The flapper boxes were on backward. Turned them around and the cable was perfect for 74
Rob-O
Reviving an old thread.

I finally got around to installing my heater parts this weekend. Everything went in as planned but the cable is too short to reach the heater boxes.

I installed the heater cable a few years back (914Rubber part). I remember having to trim some of the ends off each cable because they were so long that they couldn't navigate the curve in the cable tubes. If I remember correctly I trimmed about 1/2" off each end. When I ordered the cable from 914Rubber.com it was for a '70-74' cable length. But I have no idea what the length difference is supposed to be, so I have no idea if what I received was correct or not. My rough guesstimate is that BOTH ends of my cables are about 2" inches from properly reaching the heater boxes.

My question is, for the 4 cylinder cars, which years comprised the 'short' cables and which years comprised the 'long' cables. Does anybody have measurement in inches of how long the two 4 cylinder cables should be?
Mikey914
We do have the 6 ones just not on the "New" site

https://shop.914rubber.com/PCG42407501-914-...m?categoryId=-1
Rob-O
I need the cable for a 4 cylinder.

Which cable is longer? The ‘70-‘74 cable or the ‘75-‘76 cable? I ordered a ‘70-‘74 cable but it is about two inches away from the heater box.
Mikey914
Can't recall off the top,
I'll check and post back
mepstein
If you have trouble getting the cable end through the firewall tube:
- Spray some lube in the metal tube
- Round the end of the cable end with a file or grinder. This will keep it from hanging up in the tube.
Open up the radius of the metal tube by inserting a Phillips screwdriver and bending the tube. Do this gently and just a little bit.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 12 2019, 05:26 AM) *

I need the cable for a 4 cylinder.

Which cable is longer? The ‘70-‘74 cable or the ‘75-‘76 cable? I ordered a ‘70-‘74 cable but it is about two inches away from the heater box.

The late is longer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.