Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my new engine screwed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
so im impressed that my new motor starts right up and runs. I put my hand in front of the exhaust to see what the temperature of the exhaust was to see- kinda- running rich/lean or what. I notice that #2 cylinder has no exhaust coming out. I check the plug, drowned. Well, my new plugs were stock plugs, so i switch them all out to the hotter plugs that came in the motor, #2 is drowned immediatly. I check spark, perfect. I check injector pulse, perfect. I did an experiment. I took the injector out, put in a new plug that was perfectly clean- drowned it after a brief start. Ok so where is this "gas" or liquid coming from. Im thinking the case is full of gas. Im scared to check the crankcase though. I have a ghetto compression tester, you push it in and hold it while someone cranks. #1 has like 110lbs roughly, #2 has 60-70lbs, 90lbs if you hold it there a couple seconds. IF my crankcase is full of gas-from cranking and cranking w/o ignition the last couple of days- and i drain it, any chance my compression will come back up and itll stop drowing plugs or do i need to take it back out and rebuild it already????? sad.gif
Joe Bob
Do the dance....check valve clearance, do a compression check at WOT...still low, throw in a tablespoon of 30 weight....compression comes up...it's the rings.

Change oil and run a straight 40 or 50 weight.....check again.

You may have washed down the rings....
Rusty
You may have two problems. Start with the mechanical.

Did you adjust your valves? Even if you did, do it again. If #2 is too tight, you'll have low compression.

Don't ask me how, my common sense tells me it should be the opposite... but that's how it works.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Allan
If you can, just take a quick look down the throttle body into the plenumn. You might be suprised to see a pool wacko.gif of raw fuel sitting in it. Ask Scott, Joe, Aaron, Matt and Clayton how I know.
Aaron Cox
lots of gas in the cylinders means bad things on new engines......

it can dilute the lubricating quality of the oil and the rings wont seat ohmy.gif

have you drained your oil yet?
xsboost90
well, the engine was built and the guy ran it for about 1500 miles- one year before i bought it. He decided to go w/a hotter motor and i bought it. I adjusted the valves but thats not to say i didnt do something wrong somehow.
xsboost90
ok, so while checking to make sure the valve adjustment i did was correct, i noticed that the #2 valve rocker "log" was about a quarter inch from the head and both nuts were gone. I guess the PO forgot to tighten that one. Then i thought about it, he had taken that one off for his other motor, and had to put another set of rockers on the day i bought the motor, but they checked the valve adjustment so i figured they had at least tightened the rockers. I went ahead and double checked the rest of them. and my adjustments for them. Everything is AOK and now i have exhaust coming out the tailpipe on all four. Also drained the oil. or should i say the gas w/ a touch of oil. Flushed it out repeatedly and refilled w/ some rotella 15w40 and a new filter. Finally time to start on important things like seats!

cpt tripps, if your still willing to come help w/ the car this weekend im all for it! I need all the help i can get at this point. Going to try and get the parts all painted this week.
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif Way to go.... Now move on to the next issue and beat it!!! We WILL meet up at the WCC '06!!!!!

Keep the faith.
Joe Bob
Change the oil and look to see if there is any gas in it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.