Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightened Doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
Hello All. Ever persistant in my endevor to lighten my car, I have been eye-balling the inner structures of my later production year doors and decided that they needed to go. So I fired up my various saws and cutting implemments and removed the interior door panel from my drivers door to gain access to the offending ballast. After some doing and just a little bad language, "whala!" out comes an eleven and a half pound boat anchor. I weighed my door sans the inner structure and it tips the scales at a mere 16 pounds. I havent figured out what I want to do about the interior door release. I may weld in a post to attach it too, or just leave it off for now. Either way when I finish off the doors I'll cut a solid panel from some aluminum sheet and install it for a nice clean appearance and to give the door a little structural integrity back, it's pretty flexy now but Light! Just a quick final question, the doors don't add any structural rigidity or strength to the tub do they? Even if they do in the stock configuration, I'm going to install a full cage and tie the whole car together eventually but it would be good to know if I actually get the car to the point where I might consider driving it before the cage is complete. Sorry for getting so windy. Thanks, -K-
TimT
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
URY914
BTDT biggrin.gif

Go with F'Glass skins to really drop the weight. biggrin.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.