Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel size question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi,

Tried to find on google but not sure if I understand well.

A seller of a 914 said that the car has 911 (5 lugs) fuchs 16' wheels with 6' in the front and 7' in the rear with 205/55/16 tires but no sparewheel...

sorry for my dumb question but if I can source a sparewheel and can find a 16' 6' 5 lug will it fit both front and rear ? is 6' the width ? (sparewheel only to get home)

krgds
Dax
arne
Dax, the wheel size is not an absolute for use as a spare. You need one that is no wider than the ones on the front (6 inches in this case), and the overall diameter of the tire should be close to that of the tires on the ground.

So yes, a 16x6 with 205/55-16 would fit on either end as a spare. You could also use a 15 inch wheel as a spare, as long as it was no wider than 6 inches. On a 15 inch wheel, tires sizes to use as a spare would be 165-15, 185/70-15 or 195/65-15.
Elliot Cannon
It is also possible to find a collapsible spare wheel. You will need a 12 volt pump to alternative to inflate the spare.
dax1969
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 9 2017, 04:25 PM) *

Dax, the wheel size is not an absolute for use as a spare. You need one that is no wider than the ones on the front (6 inches in this case), and the overall diameter of the tire should be close to that of the tires on the ground.

So yes, a 16x6 with 205/55-16 would fit on either end as a spare. You could also use a 15 inch wheel as a spare, as long as it was no wider than 6 inches. On a 15 inch wheel, tires sizes to use as a spare would be 165-15, 185/70-15 or 195/65-15.

thks yr answer. In case I can reach a deal with seller then I will put a WTB in the classifieds. Think that this wheel is easier to find in the USA than in Europe.

krgds
Dax
dax1969
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 9 2017, 04:33 PM) *

It is also possible to find a collapsible spare wheel. You will need a 12 volt pump to alternative to inflate the spare.

Thks but think that are more difficult to find.

cheers
Dax
theer
Dax,

those collapsible spares were the standard spare tire in the 944's (maybe other Porsche models, too). Very light and usually pretty easy to find.
mepstein
QUOTE(theer @ Oct 9 2017, 12:12 PM) *

Dax,

those collapsible spares were the standard spare tire in the 944's (maybe other Porsche models, too). Very light and usually pretty easy to find.

agree.gif $50-75.
If you use a steel spare, make sure the lugnuts will tighten down. Its really an issue with 4 lugs aluminum wheels. The lugbolts are too long for a steel wheel.
dax1969
Interesting. It looks like it can be stored vertical in the fronttrunk.

Thks yr help guys

Dax
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.