Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wish me luck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Im going to replace the ring and pinion in the Suburban myself. Been reading the manuals and it just seems to be alot of close tolerances. blink.gif No big deal we deal with that all the time at work. Worst case is I screw up and it costs me what they wanted to do it at a shop to fix my goof biggrin.gif
skline
Ok, Good Luck, I dont think you will need it, I am sure you will do just fine.
Allan
Good luck. Sounds like you have the experience to do most anything based on what you have done to a 914
ClayPerrine
Done lots of them.. If you run into a problem, let me know. I can help.
Joe Bob
Easy....done a lot of them. The smell of the gear oil sucks.....bring beer. Have gud jack stands and consider doing the rear brakes at the same time....
spare time toys
Well this has turned to shit headbang.gif The ring and pinion I got is the same as what I am taking out. It had a 3.73 in it all ready screwy.gif All the bearings are trashed out and the housing looks to be OK boldblue.gif The bearings are stuck on the carier and I broke a puller trying to get them off. The stinking thing would not fit in the press at work. A guy at the rebuilder I got the bearing kit from said start with all the old shims in it with the new parts that way you are close to where it needs to be. Im taking the carier to a local shop to get the bearings off tomorow. I was suposed to haul a bunch of kids to play paintball in it this weekend ar15.gif ar15.gif OH well that aint gonna happen smile.gif
Joe Bob
Ummm, hope this isn't a stoopid question....but why didn't ya just buy a whole USED pumpkin from the bone yard and just slam it in?

spare time toys
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 26 2005, 06:44 PM)
Ummm, hope this isn't a stoopid question....but why didn't ya just buy a whole USED pumpkin from the bone yard and just slam it in?

The lowest priced one I could find was $1000. sad.gif I got the R&P for $80 and the overhaul kit for $90. The used one had 20000 more miles than what I have on mine and I have new brakes.
Joe Bob
WOW...prices HAVE gone up.....last one I got was 200 bucks. Now that I think about...it was before I was married. A long time ago in a galaxy far....oh hell you know what I mean.

Joe Bob
Wait one....$1K for axle to axle or for just the internal part for the rear end?
spare time toys
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 26 2005, 06:55 PM)
Wait one....$1K for axle to axle or for just the internal part for the rear end?

That was for one brake to brake with the junkyard guarntee if it was bad bring it back and try another. sad.gif
Joe Bob
OK,,,that's different. If the rear end went, why replace the whole axle? Did it crack the rear end carrier?

Last one I did, I popped the axles out, dropped the drive shaft and popped out the pumpkin....
spare time toys
Carrier is OK. If I get the bearings off with out throwing this thing across the drive that is. Easy to get out, take off pinion mut, take the cover off, take brakes off, unhook sway bar and panhard bar, pop out C clips shove axels out remove bearing caps, center pops out, then pound out pinion. With clean up only took about 2 hours in all. Now back together We will see biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (spare time toys @ May 26 2005, 03:42 PM)
I was suposed to haul a bunch of kids to play paintball in it this weekend :

You're gonna let a buncha kids play paintball in it? You don't need a new R&P, you need a new brain! LOL, The Cap'n, just SEEING the picture in his head!
spare time toys
Update on the saga of my rear end..... Its done biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I have a little howl in it but not much more than it had before. The gear paint patern looked OK and I moved the shims around untill it would be worse if they went in another way. wacko.gif So the gas hog is back on the road smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.