Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wonky Chassis Measurements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
OK, as I'm getting ready to install the Tangerine Racing rear pick up kit, I figured I'd breakout the fancy measuring device I just got and give the chassis the once over.
Right off the bat, I don't get what I expect. Pics call it out, too but:

- I'm 1.1 cm "long" on both front cross member-to-rear console measurements
The good news is they are dead equal.
- I'm 1.35 cm "wide" on the outer console front hole c-c measurement

All other measurements are dead on the printed specs.

It's a '75 chassis. It did get a minor hit in the drivers rear corner but shows no signs of damage that would have contributed to this. Again, triangulation shows it's dead equal side to side.

What strikes me as odd is:
With the inner console mounting points at spec (to one another) but the outer mounting points over 1/4" wide on each side, wouldn't I have "more than usual" space when it came to fitting the trailing arms? I don't...

In Jeff Hail's comments in this thread (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=189224), he calls out "I have seen a half dozen 74-75 tubs that the wheelbase is off by half an inch or more from one side compared to the other."

Not that I have a wheelbase issue, but are the later cars this far off spec? I guess if it's + or - 3mm and my chassis is at the far end of the scale, it's not a big deal. confused24.gif

Am I over thinking all this or missing something silly? Your perspective appreciated.
Chris
Larmo63
You might have the L model.

It had a little bit longer body chair.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 10 2017, 04:00 PM) *

You might have the L model.

It had a little bit longer body chair.gif

And wider, too, apparently.
76-914
Use inches instead of mm and an old pair glasses. happy11.gif
SirAndy
Try these and see if that gets you closer:

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php
http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2017, 04:45 PM) *

Thanks Andy - I do have those spec sheets. The problem is that because of my wonderful, custom lower firewall, I think I've lost the ability to use the one spec they call out that includes the rear suspension area. (measure C on the under body sheet).

All my other measurements are looking in range, if not spot on. I PM'd Jeff Hail and rick 918-S to see if they might weigh in.

The quest continues...
DM_2000
Many cars diagrams have dims from center line outward and vertical down to a datum line. Hopefully they exist for a 914, given they are not in the factory manual, aftermarket sources would need to be looked at.

Having these would be very helpful in manual measuring and would also be vital in replicating Celette fixtures.

Jeff Hail
Those specs were based on factory pick up locations. I had measured a few cars and they were all different with variances. I also measured an early 914 at Kundensport that Eddie was working on for a special customer that was on fixtures at the time. It also had variances. Upper body tolerances were secondary to getting an accurate centerline front to rear on the suspension bosses.

Excuse the SAE and metric measurements on the diagram. I used as many tools as possible to get the closest measurements possible in a short time.

Chris's pick ups are designed to be splayed a little and widen the rear track to make room for the valve covers of a flat six.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 10 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Those specs were based on factory pick up locations. I had measured a few cars and they were all different with variances. I also measured an early 914 at Kundensport that Eddie was working on for a special customer that was on fixtures at the time. It also had variances. Upper body tolerances were secondary to getting an accurate centerline front to rear on the suspension bosses.

Excuse the SAE and metric measurements on the diagram. I used as many tools as possible to get the closest measurements possible in a short time.

Chris's pick ups are designed to be splayed a little and widen the rear track to make room for the valve covers of a flat six.

Thanks much, Mr. Hail!
So, am I reading this correctly as "you're OK, just make sure it's all centered as well as triangulated/square/level." ?
Thanks again!
Chris
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 10 2017, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 10 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Thanks much, Mr. Hail!
So, am I reading this correctly as "you're OK, just make sure it's all centered as well as triangulated/square/level." ?
Thanks again!
Chris

Get everything squared up on the pickups, follow Chris's instructions on gently tacking them in but keep in mind some adjustments may be needed before you start burning them in forever. I used Chris's fixture to rough locate the pick ups. I made a few tacks to hold them in place then went back and mounted a dummy shock (all-thread strut) and the trailing arm with hub and bearing to the pick ups. I used a camber gauge to confirm I had plenty of negative with no shim stack in place. I also measured toe with wheels installed was about 1mm toe in on each side. Pulled it all apart and re-measured a few times.
bbrock
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 10 2017, 05:45 PM) *

I know this isn't relative to your situation Chris, but I found a discrepancy between one of the dimensions in the bodydims file and factory manual. For dimension X, bodydims has 1997mm where factory manual says 1337mm. Clearly a typo as inches are listed as 52 5/8" in both. 1337mm is correct. I just thought I'd mention it.
rick 918-S
Been out of town. Viewing and posting from a phone sux. First diagram is fine.

Second one: The suspension console is located by the ear. That is your fixed end. If that is within spec +-3mm I think your good. The other end is floating and set with shims. As long as you can get the bolts in and get an alignment I think your good. Not a very precise answer I guess. I think unless you had all the fixtures in place and could justify pulling the rails in and relocating the ear I would go with it.

Remember, whenever you start pulling and moving a chassis that otherwise appears unmolested you are bound to create other problems. Popped or weakened spot welds is one. Like I said, that position is adjustable with shims. I' beer.gif d look at is as a 3 beer lunch at the factory that day. beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 11 2017, 06:08 AM) *

Been out of town. Viewing and posting from a phone sux. First diagram is fine.

Second one: The suspension console is located by the ear. That is your fixed end. If that is within spec +-3mm I think your good. The other end is floating and set with shims. As long as you can get the bolts in and get an alignment I think your good. Not a very precise answer I guess. I think unless you had all the fixtures in place and could justify pulling the rails in and relocating the ear I would go with it.

Remember, whenever you start pulling and moving a chassis that otherwise appears unmolested you are bound to create other problems. Popped or weakened spot welds is one. Like I said, that position is adjustable with shims. I' beer.gif d look at is as a 3 beer lunch at the factory that day. beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

Hi Rick -
Got it, thanks! Given I'm replacing both ears with the Tangerine kit, I'm confident I'll be fine. I'll be posting the install as part of my build and will likely have other questions...
Thanks so much to you and Jeff for chiming in. pray.gif REALLY appreciate the experienced eyeballs reviewing all this.
Chris
SirAndy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 10 2017, 08:53 PM) *
I know this isn't relative to your situation Chris, but I found a discrepancy between one of the dimensions in the bodydims file and factory manual. For dimension X, bodydims has 1997mm where factory manual says 1337mm. Clearly a typo as inches are listed as 52 5/8" in both. 1337mm is correct. I just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for pointing that out, hard to believe our very own Dave Darling could be that sloppy ...
unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.