Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pay it forward thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
With all the fantastic people on this forum I have decided to donate some extra parts I have to the 914 cause. I have had so many people do the same for me and want to give back just a little bit. Maybe others will jump on in this thread and do the same.

I want to publicly thank just a few folks that have helped me on my projects with either loaned or donated parta as this is what is so special about this forum. My list is in no particular order..

Thank you so much

Mark Epstein
Eric Shae
Chris Baker
Michael
Greg
Danny
Garold
Georgerud.
And so many others..

So becuase of all there generosity over the years I want to offer my front A arms these have been sand blasted but could use a bit more touch up before paint or powdercoat. 1st come 1st serve.

Click to view attachment
iankarr
I'd love to have them!
iankarr
So funny...I've been on the lookout for a set with sway bar brackets.

A few months back I gave a member a set of pistons and jugs. Huge believer in paying it forward. Karma rules! Happy to make a donation to the charity of your choice...
Unobtanium-inc
Paying it forward is very important to the community. We gave away two 914 motors last year, luckily we were able to trade them for chili, homemade by Brett. Can't really put a price on Brett's chili, it's priceless.
mb911
Ian is the winner.. Thanks again hope this thread continues
76-914
Good on you. I was trained by Slits, may his sole rest in piece, and fully agree with the above statements. It's contagious and benefits the entire community. beerchug.gif
914_teener
Mark and Garold have both chipped in for my cause.

Here is my offer:

Click to view attachment

Original centre deposit box from my 73.

I also have a rack pan that has been POR treated.

Just the shipping cost.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 10 2017, 05:32 PM) *

Here is my offer:

Click to view attachment

Just the shipping cost.

PM sent to you biggrin.gif
Marty
914_teener
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 10 2017, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 10 2017, 05:32 PM) *

Here is my offer:

Click to view attachment

Just the shipping cost.

PM sent to you biggrin.gif
Marty

Pan is yours Marty.
iankarr
My turn to pay Ben's generosity forward...

Early rain tray. Bought new from 914Rubber and never installed (fixed my original tray and never got around to returning it). Has a tiny scuff...bottom center. First person to respond gets it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
All stand up guys on that list beerchug.gif
malcolm2
I am with you on paying it forward.... The best story I have is early in my restoration. I have told it before so I'll make it quick. Some of you will remember the dark days when 914world went down for maybe a month.

Right before that, Plymouth37, Dana, owner of the Anklebiter offered to give me his front trunk bottom. He did not need it cause the radiator needed air. He had my address, but we never figured out the shipping cost, cause we only communicated thru this site.

Well one day the trunk bottom showed up at my house. Once the site came back up and I found him. He refused to take money for shipping.... Now I have part of Anklebiter, still an ORANGE spot in my trunk where I decided not to paint so I would always remember.

I continue to pay that forward. Might never catch Dana, but I am trying.

Clark
mb911
Very cool keep it going everyone
Rand
I've enjoyed giving away parts. It does a heart good.

Kevin (rhodyguy) might not even remember this because we hadn't met before, but back in about 2005 he gave me a front valance/spoiler at the John Walker swap meet in Seattle.

When I visited Craig at Camp, he gave me a targa top after letting me take a v8 914 out for a spin with my son.

When I bought seats from Jamie Rust at a super bargain price, he delivered them to me AND gave me an extra pair for free.

I have had help from several members here before knowing them prior, and each time it's been the beginning of a new friendship.

I don't think there is another car forum or group of enthusiasts who is as giving amongst each other as the 914 peeps here.

smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
bretth
Adam is definitely the most pay it forward person i know many times over and i hope to do the same in turn. Will have to see what i have in my stash to contribute here. Free chili when ever you want Adam, just let me know.

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 10 2017, 07:53 PM) *

Paying it forward is very important to the community. We gave away two 914 motors last year, luckily we were able to trade them for chili, homemade by Brett. Can't really put a price on Brett's chili, it's priceless.

914bub
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 10 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Early rain tray. Bought new from 914Rubber and never installed (fixed my original tray and never got around to returning it). Has a tiny scuff...bottom center. First person to respond gets it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I could use the rain tray if it will work on my 72. Mine is hammered. I have a 911 rear reflector that is chipped and needs polishing. I think the chipped part will be cut off when used on a 914. I paid a member here $100 for it but decided not to use it. I'll get a picture tomorrows and get it posted.
theer
This is awesome. What's truly impressive about this community is how much of the sharing goes on behind the scenes - one person helping out another.

The 924/944 guys over on the Bird are good too, but nowhere near the generosity you see (and don't see!) here.

Dr Evil
Hell yes! I have been here for a long time. I started out as a broke ass college student and this forum brought me much mental health and was a source for people I have been friends with for over 10 yrs, many through generosity. Now I am a full on physician and my business, EvilWerks, is usually busy as hell. I have definitely participated on pay-it-forward whenever possible. I like the how 76-914 put it, "taught by SLITS." There really are too many of you to name as I will miss many. I have parts and stuff, I just list them in the parts forum and give them away when I don't have any $$ that I have to get out of them. I also try to help with transmissions whenever possible. If you think about it, the whole site is a pay-it-forward experiment with all of us helping out others, for free, with whatever we can offer. Hard not to love this place grouphug.gif
JOEPROPER
agree.gif This community is great! When I started out as an entry level tech in the late '80s, it seemed that everyone that was senior to me was very stingy with their knowledge and unwilling to help out younger guys. I guess the theory was that if they taught others, then they would no longer be needed. It seems that things have changed for the better and that is certainly reflected here on the "World". I'm glad to be apart of it and hope to "pay it forward" to someone here soon. smoke.gif
mb911
agree.gif this is what is so great about the site.. I hope this thread continues.
iankarr
Annnnnd the rain tray goes to Erik!
GeorgeRud
Sometimes it just feels good to clean out stuff that’s just been sitting around the garage. I’ll check mine next time I can get out there as I’m sure I can find some things.
Kansas 914
I too found out very early on about the generosity at this site and again it started with SLITS. I posted a question about where to source a part. I got a PM from Ron asking for my address. I asked him how much for the part and he said (I will always remember this) - "There ain't no price"

My signature now reflects an attitude that is growing here "WWSD"...
mb911
Ian,

Your a arms are boxed and waiting for ups pick-up.. Hope they work well for you.
tygaboy
I'm pulling together pics of a bunch of stuff I'd like to offer up.

Would we reach more folks if we moved this to the the Classifieds?

I'm OK either way, just thought I'd check first.

And Big THANKS to Ben for starting this up again. aktion035.gif

Chris
mb911
Chris your part of the inspiration so thank you..

I thought about the classifieds and just felt they move so slowly..
tygaboy
Well OK then! Let's start with this.

I don't know my Type IVs so can't say much other than it's a fan shroud and fan.

You pay actual shipping from 94952.
tygaboy
Core rear calipers.

You pay actual shipping from 94952.
Optimusglen
What I like most about the 914 community.

-the generosity of the owners

-never seen anyone with a "higher than thou" attitude even when it is warranted. I've been a part of many different European car communities, from Audi, BMW, VW, Volvo etc. and the 914 crew easily trumps them all (second place goes to VW about 10 years ago)

So, time to pay it back, er... forward. For anyone interested, I'll send you a step file of my 914 3D model for personal use.

IPB Image

Things to note, it's mostly thin solid, with some surfacing, so it's not something you can 3D print without a lot of model work on your end. Interior is roughed in, but not fully detailed. But, if you have access to some 3D software, or rendering software, it might be fun for you to play around with it.

Again, this is for personal use only.

PM me your email address, my schedule is packed but I'll get them sent out as soon as I can.
mgphoto
Ok, not 914 but someone could use this early type III windshild washer cap.
I tried to adapt it to a 914 but went a simpler route.

Click to view attachment
Cracker
I have a good, rebuilt pedal cluster - doesn't look new but works like it!

Tony
Morph914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 17 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Tony

I would be happy to have the pedal assembly, mine is sloppy. I will pay it back by offering mine up after the swap.
Please pm shipping cost to 32080
Best regards,
John
Rand
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 18 2017, 08:56 AM) *

I would be happy to have the pedal assembly, mine is sloppy. I will pay it back by offering mine up after the swap.
Best regards,
John

That sounds more like paying it backward. The point is to offer something better, first, right?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914bub @ Oct 11 2017, 02:13 AM) *

I could use the rain tray if it will work on my 72. Mine is hammered. I have a 911 rear reflector that is chipped and needs polishing. I think the chipped part will be cut off when used on a 914. I paid a member here $100 for it but decided not to use it. I'll get a picture tomorrows and get it posted.

I have had so many people here help me out on the site I couldn't possible recount then all. From the Ginter's opening there house to me as a landing pad, Mike Moorman donating a front clip for 7 of 9, Cary picking up a shell I purchased from Craig and so many other things. Great friends, good times.

I would like to have that reflector if you don't need it. Send me a PM with details.

I will look through my parts and post something here later today to offer. Stand by and thank you all for helping me along this journey!
Morph914
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 18 2017, 12:44 PM) *

Best regards,
John

That sounds more like paying it backward. The point is to offer something better, first, right?

Perhaps criticizing someone for not giving enough is not the right approach. I am just starting my project and trying to get my car back on the road ( on a tight budget no less). I hope to be in the position when finished to offer many parts to members just starting their projects.
I want to thank all the members for the help and support given. This forum will be invaluable to me as I proceed with my restoration. As I gain knowledge through the process, I hope to give back as much or more than received. We all win this way!

Cheers,
John
Cracker
John,

I'd be happy too...don't worry about Rand's comments - he's a good bro. I would encourage you to still offer up your pedals - once you deem mine a better keep. It might be a good head start for someone else... smilie_pokal.gif

It will be next week before I can get it out to you - got to find it first! Don't worry about shipping...I will pay-it-your-way. PM your shipping address. biggrin.gif

Tony

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 18 2017, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 17 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Tony

Best regards,
John
Rand
Aww, Tony wub.gif

Thanks for helping me flick that dang evil thing off my shoulder.
Rand
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Oct 18 2017, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 18 2017, 12:44 PM) *

Best regards,
John

Perhaps criticizing someone for not giving enough is not the right approach. I am just starting my project and trying to get my car back on the road ( on a tight budget no less). I hope to be in the position when finished to offer many parts to members just starting their projects.
I want to thank all the members for the help and support given. This forum will be invaluable to me as I proceed with my restoration. As I gain knowledge through the process, I hope to give back as much or more than received. We all win this way!

Cheers,
John

Glad you are finding your voice. I wasn't criticizing. Just didn't realize you didn't understand what "paying it forward" means. I bet I have some things to send your way.
Mike Fitton
This thread is a joke, what 10 people offering up stuff that should be thrown in the dumpster. Some stuff isn't even for a 914. We have over 10,000 members so 10 people what to offer up a bunch of crap that they can't sell, give me a break. Nobody is giving anything away that could be sold! Just throw it away.
Cracker
I will also provide a complete front Wilwood Brake set-up with rotors - suckers are heavy. This is for a 911 front end. I thought I'd try to put a "stop" to the negativity shades.gif .

Tony
iankarr
agree.gif

FYI, Ben's control arms arrived today and they're awesome. Thanks again, Ben!

And I'm gonna ship the (never-been-used) rain tray out to Erik in the next few days.

The only thing in this thread that belongs in a dumpster is negativity!

theer
Jeez Mike, take a happy pill.

One man's junk is another man's treasure, and all that. Offer up something for free.. if someone takes it - great. If not, pitch it. Absolutely no harm in that.

I don't see 10 in 10,000, I see a ten-fold increase in the number of people participating since this thread started.

Namaste
>> steps off soap-box <<
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 18 2017, 08:38 PM) *

This thread is a joke, what 10 people offering up stuff that should be thrown in the dumpster. Some stuff isn't even for a 914. We have over 10,000 members so 10 people what to offer up a bunch of crap that they can't sell, give me a break. Nobody is giving anything away that could be sold! Just throw it away.

I guarantee you that the 3D model I'm offering up for free could be sold, market value is over $100 for this level of detail.

example: http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/car/sport/porsche-914-1972

to save you a click, it's $130 for a haphazard 914 model that's incorrect in more ways than not. Granted, it's way overpriced, but that's literally the only option out there apart from my free model or making your own from scratch.

It's niche though, I had 3 of you guys PM me for it.
mb911
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 18 2017, 05:38 PM) *

Mike I don't understand your comments.. I offered up my a arms and paid Shipping on my end with nothing asked in return and they are exactly what another member needed.. Just saw a set sell in the classifieds sell for a decent sum. I wanted nothing and expect nothing in return and I think others are doing the same thing.. Just because you don't feel it valuable you doesn't mean its not to others..

I am truely sorry you feel this way.. sad.gif
bretth
OK here's my contribution. Bench mount engine stand. Never used.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 18 2017, 05:38 PM) *

That's the complete wrong attitude. The whole point of keeping the stuff in circulation is because maybe you can save someone some money on their car but you can also strengthen the bonds of the community. And if you are really lucky you get to hook up with someone local to you and you have a new friend. Remember that, before the internet, when it was just you and the couple of guys in your area. I'll give you an example, twice in the last year I had 914 motors that were surplus to our needs at the shop and I offered them up on this forum. Brett, who lives a few towns from my shop, came up, brought chili and we all shared a meal. Now I see Brett at my open house, at the local autocross, he is a friend. A friend I might not have made if I hadn't offered up parts. So I guess I could have put the engines in the scrap pile or the dumpster but you don't make friend's in the dumpster.
Cracker
You should be ashamed of yourself...that mount is a piece of shit fit for the trash!!! poke.gif ar15.gif slap.gif

Tony

QUOTE(bretth @ Oct 19 2017, 09:24 AM) *

OK here's my contribution. Bench mount engine stand. Never used.
jfort
If I forget to be thankful for this site and all you participants, I only have to think about how it was to have old Porsches in the days before the site. The collective knowledge and information here is priceless.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 18 2017, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Oct 11 2017, 02:13 AM) *

I have had so many people here help me out on the site I couldn't possible recount then all. From the Ginter's opening there house to me as a landing pad, Mike Moorman donating a front clip for 7 of 9, Cary picking up a shell I purchased from Craig and so many other things. Great friends, good times.

I would like to have that reflector if you don't need it. Send me a PM with details.

I will look through my parts and post something here later today to offer. Stand by and thank you all for helping me along this journey!

Replying to my own thread to bump this good will thread. I should have posted earlier but I was looking for something completely useless to add to this thread. I saved it because I'm a hoarder.

Anyone that has repaired the right side long and has had to also try to repair the base of the latch pillar wishes they had this part.

There is a completely generic part available that really doesn't much resemble the lower latch pillar. I know, I've worked with them and ended up fabricating what I needed.

So here is my junk offering. I have a very nice right side lower latch pillar. You will have to trim off the parts that are still attached but it is a nice section with no more than surface rust. Let me know if you can use it.

I circled a detail that is difficult to replicate.
iankarr
The rain tray is on its way to Erik!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.