Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pinholes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Well I can build killer engines, weld aluminum, bend tubing for roll cages, grill some mean ribs, and even hang the bodywork on my car so the panels all line up nicely and the car looks "gud"

Im having to blend some areas where I removed the rain gutters and where I blend glass or cf to the steel base..

What do you do about the pinholes in the filler? I guess Im mixing air into the filler, so Ill mix more carefully from now on, but what about he pinholes I find when sandin?

Do these get filler with primer/surfacer?

or do I fill these with a light coat of filler?

inquiring minds want to know

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
I believe spot glazing putty is just the stuff for filling pinholes as you describe.
Porsche Rescue
Get a tube of body putty, think they call it glazing putty. Follow directions on the tube. Primer might fill but don't take the chance.

Travis is quick, also must be right 'cause he agrees with me!
TimT
A paint guy told me under no circumstances use the stuff in a tube..but said with the new filler pinholes are basically a thing of the past

something about shrinkage huh.gif

Im just an occasional aquantaince with this paint guy, and feel like I have used up my advice quota from him... so here I am
jasons
QUOTE (TimT @ May 23 2005, 02:45 PM)
A paint guy told me under no circumstances use the stuff in a tube..but said with the new filler pinholes are basically a thing of the past

something about shrinkage huh.gif

Im just an occasional aquantaince with this paint guy, and feel like I have used up my advice quota from him... so here I am

There are 2 kinds. One that is a 2 stage epoxy hardener style and one that just sets up on its own. I know most guys say not to use the old style stuff that is not 2 parts. I have used both and I find the old stuff easier to work with. It was alot thinner and filled the imperfections better. I think if you don't try to fill big holes with it, you will be fine. Also, when you shoot high build primer, it will fill alot of those pin holes.

If you use the good filler, like the Evercoat Rage, pin holes are minimized.

All of that said, I aint no expert. Thats just my experience.

Kargeek
You can buy catalyzed skim filler- it's like bondo but thinner- use it like putty to fill imperfections and pin holes. No shrinkage. Dave H
sixnotfour
If you use the good filler, like the Evercoat Rage, pin holes are minimized.

agree.gif
The bobyshop, I snoop around in uses this , no problems. clap.gif
Tim, They did rdane's no gutter 911 on pelican,I am sure you've seen it.
Jeroen
never had that problem...

are you sure the pinholes are in the filler and not in the f/g or cf?
if you sand through the gelcoat, you'll end up with lots of pinholes

if that aint it, all I can say is that you need to mix up the filler and hardner real gud

TimT
No the pinholes are on the steel side of things Im trying to blend.. On the fiberglass and carbon fiber Im just knocking down the high spots with a long board and calling it gud..

oh BTW i have another pretty good shot of our 935 Ill email you
scotty b
Under NO circumstances should you ever use the one part "glazing putty" that stuff if pure CRAP. As mentioned buy the two part putties. As far as the pin holes, folding the putty and hardener into each other will eliminate alot of that. Most people tend to stir the two together like paint, but what that does is actually introduce air into the mixture thus creating voids when applied. Cheaper quality fillers will also have alot of air in them straight out of the can, so buying a better brand filler may also help you.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ May 23 2005, 02:41 PM)
Travis is quick, also must be right 'cause he agrees with me!

My girlfriend says I am, er uh nevermind
TimT
well heres some of the shaved rain gutters shot with primer

TimT
pinholios

TimT
and the 935 beerchug.gif

TimT
I never noticed how much the rear wing deflects at speed ohmy.gif

Wowsers!!
Lou W
I use Evercoat Lite body filler, 3m Acryl Spot Putty for pin holes and scratches and SEM high Build Primer Surfacer. Never had a problem with shrinkage. However, too much spot putty applied too thick, would probably shink. smile.gif

This is IMHO smile.gif
Jeroen
nice shot of the 935
I'll work on it this week and see what I can come up with...
914Timo
It looks that your putty is too thick and/or you have put it too thick layer. But, I am no expert.

If I were you, I would go and buy some new putty and try it with several light layers. Oh, and dont forget to mix it well before use.
xsboost90
i would use some metal glaze-evercoat- or they have a couple of other glazing puttys that are two parts. The stuff in a tube is basically just really thick laquer primer, and since laquer primer has a tendency to shrink real bad, so does the putty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.