Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why no love for the 1.7 & 1.8 cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914EURO
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 24 2017, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(914EURO @ Oct 24 2017, 06:31 AM) *

I love my little 1974 Sunflower Yellow 1.8 Euro Spec Retro Mod.
It seems fast enough for me and I mostly enjoy the handling that it's known for.
No leaks, no rust, no dings, perfect condition and fun as hell to drive, although I'm still getting used to shifting it. I just bought 2.0 Fuchs that are in the process of being refinished. I'm not worried about re-sale, because I'm not selling it. When I die, it's somebody's else's resale worry, although my family would be stupid to sell it. It's really too much fun to worry about numbers.... 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, whatever. It's still my little Sunflower Porsche and I Drive It Like Stole It. Have fun with whatever you own.

OMG....that is just a gorgeous car!! And reminded me of when I would stare at the brochure 40 years ago and dream of the day. That look is one of the best in my book. The yellow top is awesome.
gg

Thank you
mgphoto
Leave the 1.7's and 1.8's for the people who will fall in love with 914's.
They will do the repairs because they love the car.
And after 30 years of ownership your heirs will reap the benefits, while you get to drive the snot out of it!
DM_2000
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2017, 10:37 AM) *

I don't know muscle cars but I think the same thing happened there. The biggies went through the roof and then there was a strong market for all the wannabes and grocery getters

The demographic due for / in retirement probably drove muscle car values. Guy had car / could not afford one when newish , works / runs a business, retires with a few $ and buys car he couldn't back then. A stockish 60's - 70's muscle car really wasn't that fast or reliable in the day but they do have a rough edge not found in more modern stuff. This is probably why they are popular.

The question is , who is the current / future 914 demographic? I'd think they would share some traits with the 60's - 70's British car crowd.

DM_2000
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 23 2017, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 23 2017, 04:57 PM) *

One down side of doing this as a business. You are tied to a 2nd job that you can't escape from. The car owner is going to want their car back in a timely fashion so this will take away some of the fun personal project aspect.

I’m aware of that, and that is one of several reasons I’m a touch reluctant to consider trying to get into that type of project.

You might be able to break in to this biz by doing sub assembly work. An issue here is personal liability protection.

If you are taking work in at home, your home owners insurance will be void so take that into consideration.
malcolm2
This "classic" is for sale near me. '71 1.7 L IIRC and he wants $11K. I like the classic look too. My 1st choice would be the Creamsicle "look". A clone is fine.

Click to view attachment
dax1969
Yesss, I was looking for a 73-74 2.0 (like most of the "newbies") but only because i learned (here) that they have higher value and are more fun to drive BUT BUT BUT....

The last couple of months I was offered several 2.0's within in my budget but not a single one was acceptable... Rustrepair, non stock interiors, roll cages etc etc kept me off. I want to cherish and drive the car so no projects for me...

Now I'm that far that I extended my search to all 70 to 76 as long as the hard work (read : bodyrepair, paint etc) has been done so I can immediately enjoy it...

I'm now even going a step further that I would also take a 1.7... If I can enjoy the car right away I can always get it upgraded later on when a new pile of money becomes available biggrin.gif

If I can find a 1.7 with no rust, good performing engine, chromebumpers, stock interior, steelies or fuchs wheels in a nice color like olympia blue, signal orange, phoenix red, yellow within my budget I will take it immediately...

Arne, If you can refresh/build one within my budget and spec....PM me and do it !
(or a karmann ghia convertible haha my second love biggrin.gif )

Greeting fm a Belgian searching for the right car for a while now....

Dax

Mueller
I think part of the problem is human nature or maybe it is just the American Super-size me craze.

When I bought my truck I had to option of 4.6 or 5.4 .... bigger is better correct even if I didn't plan on towing or hauling large loads? smile.gif

It would be interesting to see if a 1.7 or 1.8 originally equipped 914 would get more interest and demand if a stock 2.0 or even slightly bigger 2.0 based motor was installed.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I think part of the problem is human nature or maybe it is just the American Super-size me craze.

When I bought my truck I had to option of 4.6 or 5.4 .... bigger is better correct even if I didn't plan on towing or hauling large loads? smile.gif

It would be interesting to see if a 1.7 or 1.8 originally equipped 914 would get more interest and demand if a stock 2.0 or even slightly bigger 2.0 based motor was installed.

There’s always a market for hot rods but it’s probably a smaller group of people. The mindset of the buyer can’t be - it’s missing original parts, but more like - I really dig all the mods. We do it in the 911 market but it’s a much bigger pool of potential buyers. I have noticed a change in the 914-6 conversion market. It used to be $12-15K was a normal price, now I think it’s more like $25-50k. Especially if it has flares.
Chris Pincetich
Well, I'm about to be a test case shades.gif

After 10 years of 1.7 ownership, it will soon be sold. With a new baby, we don't all fit any more! w00t.gif

My 1.7 has headers, bigger intake, and beat many 2.0s back when I took it to AX races. It looks mostly stock, but has all the hot rod bits inside.

It's been an amazing value! Most smiles per gallon and smiles per dollar driving.gif

If you're a flipper, focus on the 2.0. If you're an enthusiast, the early 1.7 is the cheap platform ready for upgrades with potential to be a giant-killer and drive circles around most old 911s. beerchug.gif

Hopefully in the next 5-10 years if I get a garage again and some extra $$, I'll find that I can start all over with a $3,000 1.7!!! smilie_pokal.gif

So for the OP - there's arguably more LOVE for the 1.7 from folks like me who can't afford pricey VWs and Porsches, but less MONEY to be made re-selling them. wub.gif
BK911
Just because 2.0s are *better* doesn't mean the others are bad.
The ugliest super model comparison comes to mi d.
Owned my 1.7 over 10 years now.
Runs awesome and I have NEVER wished it had more power.
euro911
All in all, I do understand Arne's stance on the subject ...
iamchappy
They all look the same to me......
Mueller
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 25 2017, 06:17 PM) *

They all look the same to me......in my rear view mirror!

I fixed that for you. smile.gif

Easy to say with that turbo 3.0 in your car...hahha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.