Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grind Me A Pound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Been Driving my teener for a week and I think I am slowely destroying my transmision. I had to replace the shift linkage bearings last fall and adjusted the clutch, and for the few test spins I took it seemed OK. But now that I drive it a bit, it seems to grind when I am in neutral and want to put it into reverse ( yes I am depressing the clutch ). At a stop as I shift into first it somethimes grinds and unless I accelerate and shift real slow it grinds going into second.

I just adjusted the clutch cable tonight and tightened it a bit more but that may have made it a bit worse. One final observation, This is a side shifter 2 L 1975, and boy it seems that second and fourth gears are close together.

Is it time to consider a trany rebuild ? Is it the clutch ? Is it the linkage requiring more fiddling sad.gif

I am excited to drive the baby but I don't want to dammage something, any sugestions will be appreciated.

Signed,
Shiftless in Ohio
Aaron Cox
at a stop, i always engage second before i go for first or reverse, always works.....

and i double clutch. smile.gif

bondo
Here's a simple test.. Set parking brake. Press clutch in. Shift into reverse. Hold clutch down, shift into neutral, wait a few seconds, then shift back into reverse. If it grinds the second time you go into reverse, either your clutch is not fully disengaging, ot the pilot bearing is dragging.
Joe Bob
I justput in my Renshifter and was having problems with gears...the cone screw on the shift linkage at the trans had backed out....
Joe Ricard
Them Cone screws ARE NOT SUPOSSED TO BE REUSED. Look at one closely and you will see a nylon plug in the threads. same principle as NYLOC nut.
Yup, having a screw loose can drive you crazy. huh "Z"
screwy.gif
Joe Bob
First I've heard....been re-using them for years...never had one back out until now.
Red-Beard
Use a dab of loctite on the screw...

If it is grinding in gears and in reverse, mostly likely the clutch is dragging (adjust the cable) or the pilot bearing is dragging.

If you can adjust the problem away with the clutch adjustment, and it comes back in a week or so, immediatly order a new clutch cable, as yours is about to break.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.