Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric window washer kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
Auto Atlanta is selling a “Electric window washing kit” ($130)
It includes electric pump, its mount and the collumn switch.
Im not sure if its a new swith or used one.

Has anyone used this kit before?
If so, could you share your experience?

I am needing to do this (for a 1972 model).

Any advise is appreciated.

Br,
Hans Jan
Click to view attachment
RickS
Don’t know about the kit but I converted mine to electric using a used Audi washer pump, a push switch from ‘The Shack’ and some extra wire. The push button is in line with the pull knob switches and fits right in. It took 1/2 hour and cost $5. There is an old thread on DIY unless you need a column switch
914Sixer
Go to the Classic section and read up on Sir Andy's install.
cary
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

I did one on my car 15 years ago. Works like a champ.
porschetub
Installed VW pump which I had already,ran through a fused relay mounted in the original position ($10),picked up a ''key on'' power feed to column switch.
Took suction direct from the bottom of the bottle,capped of the lid with a small breather hole added,works well.
Not a hard job but takes a little time,I had no choice as I'am running an alloy spacesaver.
Unless you need a new switch or the one you have is incorrect the AA solution my suit you ,otherwise the correct pump on its own is pretty cheap.
Valy
This is the magic switch:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G
It has electric contacts for the electric pump so your car stays stock.
Use any water pump, just mounted it bellow the water tank and drill a hole in the tank cap (I drilled the valve).
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 27 2017, 08:23 PM) *

Don’t know about the kit but I converted mine to electric using a used Audi washer pump, a push switch from ‘The Shack’ and some extra wire. The push button is in line with the pull knob switches and fits right in. It took 1/2 hour and cost $5. There is an old thread on DIY unless you need a column switch

I did the same thing. There is even a hole in my dash that the Radio Shack switch fit into. I didn't want to mess with the steering column. It was lots cheaper than this kit from AA, too.

You'll need to remove the fluid reservoir to drill the holes for the screws for the pump. I got a long drill bit so I could drill it from the top. You'll also need to drill a hole in the cap to prevent implosion.
HansJan
I thought that I had a simple “product review” question.
Now (few days later) I’m more confused.

To eliminate hoses inside the steering collumn, I like to feed the spray nozzles directly from the electric pump. That part is simple enough.

The confusion comes from the steering collumn switch (not looking for an additional button on the dash). The collumn switch that I have in my 1972 car only has two positions for the wipers (slow and faster).

My updated question is: Which collumn switch do I get to get an additional position for the electric pump? Idealy a pull on the handle (with wipers on) activates the pump.
HansJan
This is what I asked Auto Atlantia:

1) does this come with clear installation and wiring instruction?
2) when using this kit, are the hoses underneath the dash removed? In other
words, does the water go from the pump directly to winshield spray nozzles?
3)are all parts new?

And this was the reply:
no instructions, comes with motor and wiper switch, no hoses need to be
disturbed, just plugged back into the new switch. If you have a 72-74
model, you will have to use the old wire channel from your wiper switch.
Only one wire needs to be run from the extra one on the new switch to the
positive side of the washer pump and the other side of the pump grounded

Can I conlude that this column-switch from Auto Atlantia is different from mine?
If so, this might work.
Still not sure if it is a new part or not.
Valy
QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 28 2017, 08:10 PM) *

This is the magic switch:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G
It has electric contacts for the electric pump so your car stays stock.
Use any water pump, just mounted it bellow the water tank and drill a hole in the tank cap (I drilled the valve).

This is the switch you need. It has wiring for the electric pump. It's that extra black wire that you see in the picture. You don't need to use the water hoses under the dash anymore. Except the extra wire, its exactly the same as the original.
You do have to route a wire from the pump to the switch.
Personally, I hate adding buttons to the dash so this solution was nice and neat for me.
If you want to, you can also modify your old switch to operate the pump. I have a post about that somewhere. I finnaly opted for the new switch since I wanted an intermittent relay as well and my old switch didn't have the contacts for that.
BTW, the switch still has the pipes for the under-dash hoses. You don't use them, you can take that part off.
Dr Evil
Possibly to clarify:

The new switch has electrical contacts in place where the hoses went into the steering column. You need to run a wire from that switch to the pump you chose to use. You will remove all in cabin hoses. Just plumb the reservoir to the pump and the pump to the washer nozzles. Its pretty straight forward and not too expensive. Plenty of washer pump options, generic ones are available at most FLAPS.
Steve
You either buy the kit from AA or buy the pump at FLAPS or ... and the column switch from Pelican or other vendor. It will be cheaper to source the parts your self versus AA and use the 914world do it yourself article. Up to you... AA and other vendors charge extra for kits, because they assume you do not know how to source the parts yourself. parts is parts....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.