Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATTN: Clay Perrine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adamd1514
I was told by another member you knew the most about AFC. Since I have a 1974 1.8 L-jet I was hoping you'd read through my thread and offer a suggestion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=31419&hl=
ArtechnikA
specifically, what i suggested you do was click the "Members" link, type "Clay", select "Name begins with" and click "Go!" to obtain the list of all members whose names begin with "Clay."

there's only one...

and then send him a PM with the thread link...

this way will probably work too, but it's not nearly as elegant...
SirAndy
for the computer challanged ...

click here to send Clay a PM ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
jim912928
Adam,

I also have a 1.8l ljet (75) and had to do all the FI sorting out last year (bought the car non-running). So shoot me a pm also with your issues and I'll also offer some diagnostic advice.

Jim

p.s. it purrs like a kitten now!
Cap'n Krusty
I've been working on L-jet since mid 1973, and wen't to school on it. Betcha we can solve your problem! The Cap'n
double-a
there are those on this board, not necessarily myself, who know just about everything worth knowing about those engines... and even some stuff that's not worth knowing. biggrin.gif

i bought a non-running 75 1.8 with stock injection in december, and (with help) have nursed it back to perfect running condition. today, i made a 300 mile round trip to the oregon coast and back, just me and our 2 1/2 year old boy. fun stuff!

~a
bd1308
i think its funny that everyone else EXCEPT clay responded......

lol2.gif

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 25 2005, 12:56 AM)

and that none of them has actually addressed the specific issue, which has nothing to do with the engine, nor the L-Jet injection, but rather the wiring of the ignition through the various relays...
Gint
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 25 2005, 07:11 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 25 2005, 12:56 AM)

and that none of them has actually addressed the specific issue, which has nothing to do with the engine, nor the L-Jet injection, but rather the wiring of the ignition through the various relays...

agree.gif

Either in this thread or the original thread.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Gint @ May 25 2005, 10:05 AM)
Either in this thread or the original thread.

this is from the original thread:

Alright, I did some checking of the relay board. I checked it with the diagram and all connections are intact. However, when checking for continuity, i found that both pins on both the cold start and the aux air reg have continuity with pin six on my 12 pin connector. Since it was unplugged from the relay board their was no power, but should this be that way or do i have a problem with my harness that needs fixing? Also i have one wire connected to the back passenger side of my relay baord, its yellow, and connects to the relay by the battery. it connects to the bottom right of this set of four connectors. I also only hav eon circle relay which is for my heater, should I have more?

that involves specifics of the '74's wiring about which i know nothing.
that post was followed by several replies that talked about ignition issues, but were nonresponsive on the point of the relays and the general wiring.

and since (IIRC) this was a car with an engine compartment fire that toasted a lot of the wiring, IMO it's not safe to simply assume that any of the wiring in place is like it's supposed to be. some of these issues are are enough to resolve when the wiring is known to be correct, but this case presents a few more challenges...
tat2dphreak
since this is the "everyone BUT Clay" thread, I wanted to respond and say I know nothing about the issue either... thanks.
Trekkor
Years ago when I had a 1.8 there was a simple test that could be performed from eletrical point to point on the relay board and air flow meter. The head temp, and the one under the plenum have to be in spec as well.

I don't have the details in front of me.
The Haynes has a decent troubleshooter.

I have a spare relay board and AFM from a '74 1.8 if needed.

KT
bd1308
yeah i think thats the best plan. It seems like the board is faulty or something. Actually, I hear less crap about AFC engines anyway. Is it because it's less faulty or it simply that the engine combo is rare?
adamd1514
Thanks for the all the posts, My years almost over at school so ill try to get some PM's out in a few days once I have the chance to get back to it.

Thanks,
Adam
vmills
When do you finish classes Adam? I have 3 tomorrow and 1 friday then i'm doonnnnneeeeeee. I'll be home for 2 days I think. Monday night, tuesday, wednesday, and we leave thursday morning.

by the way, this forum is pretty sweet. You guys all seem nice and extremely knowledgable.

vic
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (vmills @ May 25 2005, 01:48 PM)
You guys all seem nice and extremely knowledgable.

it's all an act :-)
lapuwali
As I recall, the original thread simply said there was no spark. I didn't see anything to suggest that the usual checks of the usual ignition parts were checked before anyone started to tear into the relay board and associated wiring.

IMHO, when diagnosing electrical problems, you always have to start at one end of a circuit and work along it. If you ensure the one circuit you're looking at is correct from end to end, you can ignore it and move to the next likely circuit. This goes triple if the car has been hacked up after something like a fire, so the wiring may no longer match any factory diagram, which makes the diagrams pretty much useless. It also makes junction points like the relay board much harder to diagnose, because it may be bypassed or wired up in a totally different way. If you follow each circuit end to end, you don't even need a wiring diagram.

Divide and conquer: power at coil? No? Power at the ignition switch? No? (problem is between the battery and the ignition switch) Yes? (problem is between the ignition switch and the coil)
ClayPerrine
OK! OK! I am here.....

Now what is the problem? confused24.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 25 2005, 02:12 PM)
Now what is the problem?

'74. no spark. electrical weirdnesses.

read the referred thread at the top of this thread and you'll be up to speed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.