Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 160-180 hp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stags14
What is the most cost effective way to get at least 160-180hp in your teener?
redshift
Put a Suzuki in the trunk.

Thank you! I'll be here 'til Thursday!

M
TravisNeff
Raby 4,
6 on the cheap
v-8
subie power (need fab skilz)

I had a ride in a 300+ hp teener at WCC. Half of that would still scare me, woof.
TonyAKAVW
Subaru flat 4. A 2.5L naturally aspirated engine puts out 165 HP stock (with CAT, etc). For a few hundred bucks worth of mods you can easily get 200.

I picked up an engine with ECU and harness for $900. You still need an engine adapter plate, radiator and some other random stuff, but the transmission and most everything else stays the same. Radiator goes in the engine bay so you don't have to cut up the car, and you retain both trunks.

All told $5000 would be considerably more than you need to do the job. Probably $2000 - $3000 if you get good deals on stuff.

-Tony
tat2dphreak
what they said... RABY 4, scoobie, SBC, /6, rotory, etc, etc

the /6 will get part of the cost back when you sell the car if done right, the others won't yield the same ROI in $, but are probably better power/hp investments...

depends on your skills and what you REALLY want... I, personally, would have to list MY personal preferences as: RAT 4, big /6, then anything that needs water in the distance...

Gary
A Raby 2270 or 2316 will get you there. Expect north of $6k to get there unless you are comfortable getting and assembling a kit.

A used 2.4L six will get you close, and has the cost and labor benefit of not NEEDING an external oil cooler. You'll still need the oil tank and lines, headers, and a -6 mount. You're still in a range where stock brakes will be fine in good repair.
john rogers
A six.
skline
Theres no replacement for displacement. That is all I am going say. biggrin.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 24 2005, 04:31 PM)

why, i can sell him the engine bar and radiator mount

i could even tell him everything he has to do

okay some minor fab skills but not much
airsix
I had a ride in a 300+ hp teener at WCC. Half of that would still scare me, woof.

Nah. 300 is scary but 150 is pretty tame.

-Ben M. (have 150, now looking for 300)
bondo
The real question is: Why stop there? smile.gif burnout.gif
MattR
Why are you looking for HP? I mean why 160-180? Is that a number you just came up with? Thats just peak HP, btw. It doesnt say anything about an engine. Ive been in a 500 hp big block and a 500 hp rotary... big difference.
stags14
QUOTE (scott thacher @ May 25 2005, 12:26 AM)

why, i can sell him the engine bar and radiator mount

i could even tell him everything he has to do

okay some minor fab skills but not much

The subaru engine sounds like a decent option for me. Suggestions on where to find a good 2.5??

What do you think of this:
Subaru 2.5
skline
I am still waiting for someone to do a Toyota V6 install. I think the 3 liter V6 would be a great engine for one of our little cars. It pulls my 3800 pound camry right along very well. And talk about reliability? The thing never breaks.
Bleyseng
I kinda like the turbo 2 rotary motors. 300rwhp is pretty easy to get without too much torque to kill your 901. Scary boost comes on at about 2500rpms
Joe Bob
A Nissan "Z" motor has been done....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 25 2005, 09:34 AM)

ohmy.gif w00t.gif

I missed that! are there pics around?
bd1308
me 2 sad.gif
Bleyseng
Wasn't that Steve Malmz that had the Z powered 914?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 25 2005, 07:01 AM)
Wasn't that Steve Malmz that had the Z powered 914?

Yup...

www.malmz.com

He should still have pics up.
tat2dphreak
no pics sad.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 25 2005, 07:11 AM)
no pics sad.gif

On the top tool bar, there are links to special interests...click on Porsche stuff...
tat2dphreak
my bad, I saw "personal" and thought "why would have have dating links?" but didn't click screwy.gif

btw, is that the "NORMAL" way to run water? a copper pipe UNDER THE CAR?!?! I thought the water would be ran through the long, where the heater ducts are...
Joe Bob
Be advised that Steve did this all by hisself before PP and Rennlist and the club were around.

Normal? Well none of did things the normally accepted ways that seem common now. A lot of us came to the same conclusions based on trial and error.

Copper lines are not the best solution.... cool_shades.gif
tat2dphreak
I understand... it was '99, a dark time had befallen upon the earth smile.gif somone has to do it first! smilie_pokal.gif but that doesn't make it easy!

I like the way he did the radiator though... I just wasn't sure about the pipe under the floor... one bad bump, there goes all the water, and you got a big dent in your floor! smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
The subaru engine sounds like a decent option for me. Suggestions on where to find a good 2.5??

What do you think of this:
Subaru 2.5

That looks fine. I bet you can get a better price elsewhere though. The places to look for Subaru engines include...

NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club)
Ebay
Craigslist
The Samba (VW vans, lots of guys doing conversions there)

There are a whole bunch of these places that import engines from Japan. The one you posted is one of these guys. The thing to be careful of is that you want to make sure you are getting an engine that is a replacement for a US Domestic Market (USDM) engine. Many of the Japanese engines (mostly the turbo engines) are set up for 95 octane gas. Furthermore, the ECUs are different and could be very hard to find in the US. Same goes for wiring harnesses. If you want to put on an aftermarket engine management system, you need to figure another $1k or so. Its possible that you could run a JDM motor with a USDM ECU but because of the differences in the engines it might not work too well.

I believe that the engine pictured would be fine. Seems to be a replacement for a USDM engine. I would still keep an eye out on NASIOC's classified section. Might be a while before the right engine comes up, but there is a ton of stuff for sale there and people routinely parting out their cars. Try to get as much as you can (ECU, wiring, exhaust, etc. etc.) so you don't have to buy it later on and pay more for it.

-Tony
hitbyastick
A few guys I know are currently working on installing a VW 1.8 turbo engine. I'm sure the stock horsepower on that engine is in that ballpark.
lapuwali
You can also just do what fiid is doing, and use a JDM engine with an aftermarket ECU. The only real downside with the JDM engines is that some parts may not be available in the US, and you may end up having to get a whole new JDM engine if this one has any problems later.

Scott Carlberg
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 25 2005, 06:34 AM)

Chris in Vegas did a 3.0 Nissan Maxima engine in his....

http://nissan6.914resources.com/
aircooledboy
I would chime in here, but the giant smile on my face from the couple hours I got to spend driving my SBC conversion today makes it very hard to see while I type. laugh.gif

Cannot say enough good things about the fun of driving this car. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.