Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebel Racing front RSR coil overs instead of torsion bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Rebel Racing RSR coil overs instead of torsion bars.
Who’s tried them?
http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/914products.html
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 6 2017, 06:23 AM) *

Rebel Racing RSR coil overs instead of torsion bars.
Who’s tried them?
http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/914products.html

That seems surprisingly affordable ...
idea.gif
Steve
Good reviews on Pelican. Rebel only has a bilstein option versu Elephant also has a Boge strut option.
raynekat
What is the car's intended use?
If a daily driver, you need to make sure you can get a soft enough spring.
If mostly a track car, then have at it.
Steve
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 6 2017, 11:14 AM) *

What is the car's intended use?
If a daily driver, you need to make sure you can get a soft enough spring.
If mostly a track car, then have at it.

I’m looking for feed back who have tried it, not the obvious.
Both options support multiple spring rates for street and track.
Feedback from other sites include.
-more spring options
-rides like a modern car or later 911 with front springs.
But these are 911 sites...
I’m looking for 914 references.
phillstek
Don't know about RR coil overs as I have ERs level 3 on my car and I love them. I used to have turbo struts and standard torsion bars and the car was lowered quite a bit. Bump steer was horrendous with that set up but with the ER set up it's no longer an issue. They are very firm and bang pretty loud when hitting lane markers as I also have the solid mounts at the top. Car steers and corners flat with instant turn in response but probably should have chosen level 2 as these would be better on the street.

Hope that's of some help.
LowBridge
I have the RR coilovers on the rear of my 914 and I really enjoy them. I believe it offers more options when trying to balance the corners. the only thing I would do different is also get the helper springs, it just makes things easier when you are jacking the car up and down.
tygaboy
QUOTE(phillstek @ Nov 6 2017, 02:19 PM) *

Don't know about RR coil overs as I have ERs level 3 on my car and I love them. I used to have turbo struts and standard torsion bars and the car was lowered quite a bit. Bump steer was horrendous with that set up but with the ER set up it's no longer an issue. They are very firm and bang pretty loud when hitting lane markers as I also have the solid mounts at the top. Car steers and corners flat with instant turn in response but probably should have chosen level 2 as these would be better on the street.

Great to hear as I've been talking with Elephant about their front coil over set up. Still not sure if I'd go Level 1 or Level 2.

Question: I have the Elephant Quick Change camber plates so I'm curious: Do you think your "lane marker bang" is related mostly to the Level 3 valving vs. the solid top mounts?

Thanks in advance...
Dave_Darling
I have heard that it is a good idea to reinforce the strut towers when changing any torsion-bar Porsche to coilovers. No direct data myself.

--DD
Larmo63
Raised spindles, bump steer kit, and coil-overs will be expensive. You might get new shocks too and some new goodies for the camber plates. I've only looked at both Elephant and Rebel Racing's websites on this very subject about a thousand times.

Reinforcing shock towers is getting into kooky (but cool) territory. I know it's only money, but it seems like one thing leads to another...."while I was in there"
phillstek
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 7 2017, 09:38 AM) *

Great to hear as I've been talking with Elephant about their front coil over set up. Still not sure if I'd go Level 1 or Level 2.

Question: I have the Elephant Quick Change camber plates so I'm curious: Do you think your "lane marker bang" is related mostly to the Level 3 valving vs. the solid top mounts?

Definitely the solid camber plates making the noise.

'I have heard that it is a good idea to reinforce the strut towers when changing any torsion-bar Porsche to coilovers. No direct data myself’

You mentioned this possibility when I posted about these some time ago. They’ve been on the car for over 10,000 miles now and I check them regularly. Car is driven over shitty Aussie roads including dirt, so far there is absolutely no sign of stress fractures or metal fatigue.
jim_hoyland
I am looking at doing this too.....
Montreal914
OT, but looking at their catalog, they also have the aluminum Brembo (S equivalent) front Calipers. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
gms
I have 935 coil over struts on the race car and love them!

Click to view attachment
euro911
They have a nice candy store, don't they?

drooley.gif
erwan914
Click to view attachment
Steve
Thanks for the feedback.
Are you guys still running torsion bars with the springs?
If you run springs without torsion bars, did you do anything special with the “A” arms?
I noticed one guy on pelican still installed the RSR $350.00 bushings.
infraredcalvin
I’ve never understood why people get coilovers and still use torsion bars. It’s extra weight (albeit lower on the car) coil over ends up being a helper spring... the 930 guys I’ve seen that stared with a combo have quickly changed to coilover only.

If you’re going through the expense of coilovers you should address all the movement components in the assembly - weather its rubber, poly or other is up to you.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(erwan914 @ Nov 7 2017, 02:49 AM) *

Looks like this hasn’t been on the ground yet, but if so, do you get any binding with the ass vault straps?

Nice looking setup!
gms
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 7 2017, 08:49 AM) *

If you’re going through the expense of coilovers you should address all the movement components in the assembly - weather its rubber, poly or other is up to you.

agree.gif
mb911
Very cool
stownsen914
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Thanks for the feedback.
Are you guys still running torsion bars with the springs?
If you run springs without torsion bars, did you do anything special with the “A” arms?
I noticed one guy on pelican still installed the RSR $350.00 bushings.

If you do coilovers, definitely dump the torsion bars - no need to have both kinds of springs. I agree with the advise to address the A arm bushings. Once you're doing work to your struts (or buying new ones), consider whether you want to raise the spindles. It's a good modification for a lowered car to improve suspension geometry.

I have coilovers on my 914 racecar. Back when I did mine there wasn't a kit that I could find so I made mine from generic circle track racing parts. My car is track only so possibly not the best comparison for you.

As for reinforcing the top mounts, it is true that there will be substantial additional force there with coilovers vs. torsion bars. I reinforced mine since it's a race car on slicks. Again probably not a great comparison to your application.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.