Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just ordered brass/copper shift bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
pelican only had the plastic ones and it was gonna be more for shipping than for the part! Called GPR and they are sending it out today. Do these bushings stiffen up the shifter much and am i supposed to grease them at all? wink.gif
anybody like them? do they taste good? fashionable?
Rouser
If you're talking about the bushing at the tranny end, I've been using one and it does the job.

Most of the time the mount back there is oblonged out due to the bar sagging and the plastic bushing moving back-and-forth, which happened to be my case. I purchased the bronze bushing from GPR (with c-clip) and JB Weld'd it in place, which makes for a much more solid mount.

Fashionable? I'd recommend it over the plastic/Teflon bushing, if only because it'll last a whole lot longer. And yes, you should grease ALL your bushings, regardless of the "Teflon" claims.
Rouser
qwerty
Red-Beard
You need to clean that tranny....
Allan
I didn't even know they had the brass bushings... Anyway, I replaced all of mine with the teflon ones except the u-joint on the rear shift rod.

My Motto: If it moves, lube it. biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Duh, a nice cheap upgrade
JeffBowlsby
Hey Roy...whydja JB weld it in...? ALL Bushings wear out and they eventually need replacement. With the C-clip it doesnt move.

confused24.gif
Rotary'14
Hey, I want one of those too,, I looked at GPR's site and I couldn't find that bushing, can anybody give me a direct link to it?

Thanks, drooley.gif
Rouser
QUOTE (bowlsby @ May 25 2005, 08:28 PM)
With the C-clip it doesnt move.

Oh yes, it (still) does ...

It's the hole on the rear tranny shifter mount that the rod passes through that gets ovaled out, especially when a worn rear bushing is left to bang up-down-'n-around back there. You stick a new (plastic) bushing back there and there's enough play to sabotage your efforts for clean shifting. That C-clip only retains the bushing, it doesn't center it.

I wouldn't JB Weld a plastic bushing in there; the brass one is well worth it.
Korijo
QUOTE (Rotary'14 @ May 25 2005, 05:06 PM)
Hey, I want one of those too,, I looked at GPR's site and I couldn't find that bushing, can anybody give me a direct link to it?

Thanks, drooley.gif

agree.gif
cant find it. how much?

i vaguely remember stromberg selling a bronze ball-cup bushing...

anybody have one?
xsboost90
no they didnt list it, so i called and he pulled it up right away. 26 plus shipping like $32. - alittle more than the $8.50 for the plastic one but.... I'll grease it and go! My tranny is not oblonged, never seen one that bad, my bushing is just alittle loose, trying to stiffen it up as much as possible.
tat2dphreak
I wish someone would have had these last year when I installed the tranny and engine... oh well, when the plastic wears out again, I'l get these...

do they have a early-late firewall converter bushing? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.