Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw-in Lugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
curious what people w/ a 4-lug setup do to convert to lugs and nuts...

if not screw-in, do you drill out the threads and new studs in?
Mueller
I voted yes...only if you use the hardened BBS Racing screw-in studs and have cleaned the threads properly and use Red LocTite
tat2dphreak
my old teener had them, but they are too short to get a good hold! maybe fine for stock beetle rims, but nothing alloy... they were too short for EMPI 8 spokes on my old car, and too short for the western wheels on my car now...

a good wheel place can put in PRESSED studs for about $100(what I was quoted here)
Mueller
my old teener had them, but they are too short to get a good hold! maybe fine for stock beetle rims, but nothing alloy... they were too short for EMPI 8 spokes on my old car, and too short for the western wheels on my car now...

they are available in different lengths you know wacko.gif biggrin.gif

figure to do the rear hubs, you'll be buying new rear wheel bearings, so make sure you add that to your budget....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 25 2005, 03:29 PM)

they are available in different lengths you know wacko.gif biggrin.gif

figure to do the rear hubs, you'll be buying new rear wheel bearings, so make sure you add that to your budget....

the "bugpack" ones were what was on the car, and not long enough for shit...

yea, I know about the rear bearing too... that's why I bought new lug bolts instead... smile.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 25 2005, 12:21 PM)
I voted yes...only if you use the hardened BBS Racing screw-in studs and have cleaned the threads properly and use Red LocTite

such as these, mike?

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared/StoreF...et=products.asp
Mueller
.....that is not a good enough reason "not" to run screw-in studs, no difference than trying to use steel rim bolts on Fuchs...you have to have the right part for each application.....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 25 2005, 03:38 PM)
.....that is not a good enough reason "not" to run screw-in studs, no difference than trying to use steel rim bolts on Fuchs...you have to have the right part for each application.....

i didn't know about the good ones....
Mueller
Hey Nathan,

Yep, those are them.....

I don't have the part numbers in front me, but you should be able to get them local from a BBS re-seller....there are three lengths available, I want to say 60mm, 75mm and 90mm.

I called BBS to get the part numbers....they are in Georgia, 1-770-967-9848

nebreitling
cool, thanks mike.

i've got ideas... oh boy do i have ideas....
914werke
I assume those are the lugs suggested for the billet hubs as well?
wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ May 25 2005, 02:06 PM)
I assume those are the lugs suggested for the billet hubs as well?
wink.gif

You can use the stock bolts (just don't over-torque them past the recommended factory 90ftlbs)...screw in studs are better than bolts
echocanyons
I just sold a set of these. I went back to bolts because I felt they were not safe.

There are some available that have double threads and a hex tip. This allows the screws to be torqued to the rotor and makes them safe IMHO, I believe they were also hardened steel.
Mueller
most of the hex tipped 14mm units are not hardened, those are the cheap studs sold by Prestige Wheel and CB Performance (if silver in color)

the only concern you should have with screw-in studs is them backing out...if installed correctly, they will never back out.....

airsix
Here's my screw-in-lug story:

I got some from the local tire store when I switched my first 914 over from steel rims to Empi's (hey it was pre-internet and I was just a kid). I installed them, and torqued properly. Drove the car hard for a week on new sticky tires. Pulled the wheels to check the studs (didn't trust them) and found two of them were broken (fractured but not broken off yet). Never again.

-Ben M.
Mueller
QUOTE (airsix @ May 25 2005, 02:23 PM)
Here's my screw-in-lug story:

I got some from the local tire store when I switched my first 914 over from steel rims to Empi's (hey it was pre-internet and I was just a kid). I installed them, and torqued properly. Drove the car hard for a week on new sticky tires. Pulled the wheels to check the studs (didn't trust them) and found two of them were broken (fractured but not broken off yet). Never again.

-Ben M.

not a good enough reason smile.gif

a bolt of the same quality material and manufacturing method should have failed in the same manner...the OEM bolts are far better than the cheap aftermarket units.....
tat2dphreak
agree.gif

mine may have worked if they had been loctited in, but I still didn't trust them...
URY914
I had a set a very long time ago and twisted several off. These were the cheap VW aftermarket grade crap. You should NEVER use those.

Now I have hardened studs (that's what my wife calls ME sometimes rolleyes.gif ) from MOROSO and are pressed in from the back side. Nice and long.

Paul biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 25 2005, 01:34 PM)
a bolt of the same quality material and manufacturing method should have failed in the same manner...the OEM bolts are far better than the cheap aftermarket units.....

Yah, these were junk. They were soft, and they had a broached hex hole in the end for using a hex-key to install them. That was the failure point if I remember right - right at the bottom of the broached hex hole. They were basically hollow studs.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.