Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Singer Vehicle Designs - leather weave seat upholstery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
I was interested in redoing my seats in a leather weave like the Singers after getting up close and personal with one a couple weeks ago. Did a bit of searching and found a supplier.

IPB Image

From Spinneybeck

minimum order is 55 square feet, for 1-2 leather weaves it's $55/sq.ft. So, just a touch over $3,000 for a new order of this stuff.

It may be needless to say, but I am no longer interested in going this route... sad.gif

IPB Image
mepstein
If you want to do it "reasonably" you need to go to someone with a leather lace cutter(i think thats what its called) anyway, a machine that can make the strips and then have it woven or weave it yourself. You can buy the hides on ebay for $100-300. What you need should be cheaper than a normal piece since you can work with a piece that has some defects.

If you just want it delivered to your door, then yes, its costly.
JmuRiz
Optimus Glenn: yep, that's the stuff.

I remember showing my wife the interior of a Singer thinking it was so cool...she said (totally straight) 'yep, I've seen that leather, want me to spec some?'
I don't think the price is too nutty for the cool-factor/impact of the look.
She's in interior design and architecture and knows of all kinds of cool work-space grade materials.

I can always ask her if she knows of other suppliers that may have a different price point, just let me know and I'll ask if she can fit it in her typical 60-80h work week wink.gif

I totally cracked up with listening to Jonathan Ward from Icon tout his chilewich floormats in his offroad cars. She grabbed some samples a few years back that we use for free doormats and dinner table placemats biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
I might go the route of using a lace cutter and doing my own, always leaned towards DIY and already have some leather working tools.
Mueller
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 8 2017, 02:24 PM) *

I might go the route of using a lace cutter and doing my own, always leaned towards DIY and already have some leather working tools.

Feel free to make a video also smile.gif
worn

I think it could be woven sans loom since it is flat to begin with. But I am not a waiver...
Jeff Hail
Try Garrett Leather in New York. They make high end weave for commercial/ architectural applications. The stuff is just as nice and durable as Singers Spinney supplier.

Also look at: AUTOSATTLEREI ARTUR
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 8 2017, 08:06 PM) *

I think it could be woven sans loom since it is flat to begin with. But I am not a waiver...

I think you could make a wood frame and tack each end with a small brad. If you're just making a seat insert, I don't think you need many square feet.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 8 2017, 10:18 AM) *

If you want to do it "reasonably" you need to go to someone with a leather lace cutter(i think thats what its called) anyway, a machine that can make the strips and then have it woven or weave it yourself. You can buy the hides on ebay for $100-300. What you need should be cheaper than a normal piece since you can work with a piece that has some defects.

If you just want it delivered to your door, then yes, its costly.

A quick search on Amazon tells me the pre sliced leather is not that expensive. Buy a couple colors and widths and do a tartan weave first.gif

i have no idea how I would clean it thou confused24.gif lots of sweat out here in the sun filled desert.
Marek
Hmm I got a bit different price from Spinnybeck , not that its cheaper

HI Marek:

The leather weave can be made in any color or combination of colors. The leather ships from our warehouse in Getzville,NY,USA.
Pricing is per square meter and min quantity is 5.1 square meters
For 1-2 Color leathweave pricing is €595 per square meter ( 690 usd )
Width is can be 69cm,91 cm or 97cm
Overrun will be added a 5-10% of order quantity
Lead time is 6-8 weeks from receipt of payment.Please note that longer lead times will occur due to Holiday’s in December and January.
Shipping is additional and Valid VAT number is needed for taxes

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.