Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Singer Vehicle Designs - leather weave seat upholstery, costs about as much as you'd expect
Optimusglen
post Nov 8 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was interested in redoing my seats in a leather weave like the Singers after getting up close and personal with one a couple weeks ago. Did a bit of searching and found a supplier.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1510164482.1.jpg)

From Spinneybeck

minimum order is 55 square feet, for 1-2 leather weaves it's $55/sq.ft. So, just a touch over $3,000 for a new order of this stuff.

It may be needless to say, but I am no longer interested in going this route... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1510164482.2.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 8 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you want to do it "reasonably" you need to go to someone with a leather lace cutter(i think thats what its called) anyway, a machine that can make the strips and then have it woven or weave it yourself. You can buy the hides on ebay for $100-300. What you need should be cheaper than a normal piece since you can work with a piece that has some defects.

If you just want it delivered to your door, then yes, its costly.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 8 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Optimus Glenn: yep, that's the stuff.

I remember showing my wife the interior of a Singer thinking it was so cool...she said (totally straight) 'yep, I've seen that leather, want me to spec some?'
I don't think the price is too nutty for the cool-factor/impact of the look.
She's in interior design and architecture and knows of all kinds of cool work-space grade materials.

I can always ask her if she knows of other suppliers that may have a different price point, just let me know and I'll ask if she can fit it in her typical 60-80h work week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I totally cracked up with listening to Jonathan Ward from Icon tout his chilewich floormats in his offroad cars. She grabbed some samples a few years back that we use for free doormats and dinner table placemats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Nov 8 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,709

I might go the route of using a lace cutter and doing my own, always leaned towards DIY and already have some leather working tools.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 8 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 8 2017, 02:24 PM) *

I might go the route of using a lace cutter and doing my own, always leaned towards DIY and already have some leather working tools.

Feel free to make a video also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Nov 8 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #6

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

I think it could be woven sans loom since it is flat to begin with. But I am not a waiver...
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 8 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,712

Try Garrett Leather in New York. They make high end weave for commercial/ architectural applications. The stuff is just as nice and durable as Singers Spinney supplier.

Also look at: AUTOSATTLEREI ARTUR
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 8 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(worn @ Nov 8 2017, 08:06 PM) *

I think it could be woven sans loom since it is flat to begin with. But I am not a waiver...

I think you could make a wood frame and tack each end with a small brad. If you're just making a seat insert, I don't think you need many square feet.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 8 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 8 2017, 10:18 AM) *

If you want to do it "reasonably" you need to go to someone with a leather lace cutter(i think thats what its called) anyway, a machine that can make the strips and then have it woven or weave it yourself. You can buy the hides on ebay for $100-300. What you need should be cheaper than a normal piece since you can work with a piece that has some defects.

If you just want it delivered to your door, then yes, its costly.

A quick search on Amazon tells me the pre sliced leather is not that expensive. Buy a couple colors and widths and do a tartan weave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

i have no idea how I would clean it thou (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) lots of sweat out here in the sun filled desert.
+Quote Post
Marek
post Nov 9 2017, 01:53 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,672
Region Association: None

Hmm I got a bit different price from Spinnybeck , not that its cheaper

HI Marek:

The leather weave can be made in any color or combination of colors. The leather ships from our warehouse in Getzville,NY,USA.
Pricing is per square meter and min quantity is 5.1 square meters
For 1-2 Color leathweave pricing is €595 per square meter ( 690 usd )
Width is can be 69cm,91 cm or 97cm
Overrun will be added a 5-10% of order quantity
Lead time is 6-8 weeks from receipt of payment.Please note that longer lead times will occur due to Holiday’s in December and January.
Shipping is additional and Valid VAT number is needed for taxes

Thank you
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:25 AM