Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift linkage options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcarson25
Title pretty much says it, but I am looking at options for shifter linkage setups for a 914 side shift transmission. I have a trans and no linkage, so I am looking at best/cheapest options for converting the linkage over. Thanks in advance.
Steve
welcome.png
Stock (cheapest) post WTB in classifieds or (best) http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
ottox914
+1 for tangerine. Have that in my car and it's great. Way better than oem, but $$$.

And worth it.
rcarson25
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 9 2017, 07:12 PM) *

+1 for tangerine. Have that in my car and it's great. Way better than oem, but $$$.

And worth it.

I know that tangerine is speedy, wouldn’t I still need to get the interior shifter rod to work with that setup? And possibly a shifter as well?

I did post a wtb thread as well.
rcarson25
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 9 2017, 06:57 PM) *

welcome.png
Stock (cheapest) post WTB in classifieds or (best) http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

Thanks for he welcome by the way.
Steve
Yep, you need the interior Parts to. The Tangarene stuff is only from the firewall back.
So you still need:
-side shifter shifter 73-76
-side shifter interior shift rod 73-76
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 9 2017, 07:57 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif you can always start with stock and upgrade to tangerine. I prefer once and done.
GeorgeRud
I’d check with some of the recyclers to see if someone can’t fix you up with the complete system. I’ve had good luck with Garold Shaffer in Portage, IN and also with Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd in E. Peoria, Il.
rcarson25
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2017, 07:47 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif you can always start with stock and upgrade to tangerine. I prefer once and done.

Does this kit really make that much difference? $500 seems spendy for a metal rod and a couple joints. Welcome to the world of Porsche haha.
mepstein
QUOTE(rcarson25 @ Nov 10 2017, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2017, 07:47 PM) *

welcome.png

Does this kit really make that much difference? $500 seems spendy for a metal rod and a couple joints. Welcome to the world of Porsche haha.

It’s not a Porsche tax. It’s a limited production, custom solution to improve the precision of the shift assembly. Chris also has a precision shift coupler $200, firewall bushing $50 and many people install a jwest - rennshifter $550 to improve shifting. You asked for two different things;
cheapest - stock
Best- stock combined with aftermarket mods.
Dave_Darling
If you can put together a u-joint and a couple of rods and have it work better than stock, maybe you should make it yourself...

I know I can't do a better job, so if I do decide to upgrade from the stock linkage I'm pretty sure I'll be calling Chris.

Another option is a cable shifter. Evidently Boxster cables are about the right length, but you do have to run the cables and mount the gear shift lever and hook the cables up to the trans appropriately...

--DD
cary
PM, bdstone914. See if he has any complete setups left.

Ditto on the Tangerine firewall bushing. We have 3 incoming for projects here at MiddleMotors.
Then add the brass console bushing from Brain at GPR.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/370858106656
I have 6 incoming here at MiddleMotors.

Don't forget motor mount bar ..................
Larmo63
I have a motor mount bar, rear stock shaft, and bronze bushing available.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 11 2017, 12:42 AM) *

We have 3 incoming for projects here at MiddleMotors.

Three?
I have an order for two in transit to Oregon right now.
Last two from stock actually.
I'll have to work on another batch of firewall bushing housings as soon as I finish a run of oil pressure relief housings in the lathe.

914forme
lol-2.gif Chris thats the way it goes, you build a quality beast, then some of us purchase them, and start spreading the word, and then for your success you are granted, well more work.

aktion035.gif Your welcome av-943.gif
914forme
Is Chris' stuff worth it, yes. Is Rennshifter or Wevo worth it. Yes. All combined worth every penny, if you don't feel like being a fabricator.

Even I who love to fabricate still finds it is less time for the $$$ spent in purchasing quality items to make the process faster.

Oh and welcome.png
cary
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 11 2017, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 11 2017, 12:42 AM) *

We have 3 incoming for projects here at MiddleMotors.

Three?
I have an order for two in transit to Oregon right now.
Last two from stock actually.
I'll have to work on another batch of firewall bushing housings as soon as I finish a run of oil pressure relief housings in the lathe.

Two for Mike. Doug will be ordering one shortly, I thought it was ordered yesterday.

One of Mike's goes in next week. The other is a spare. We can use that one in Doug's car if need be. Let's plan on three from over here in that next batch. One for Doug. And I'll put two on the shelf here at MiddleMotors.

Thanks Chris, great product.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 11 2017, 02:12 PM) *

lol-2.gif Chris thats the way it goes, you build a quality beast, then some of us purchase them, and start spreading the word, and then for your success you are granted, well more work.

aktion035.gif Your welcome av-943.gif

biggrin.gif
I don't have too much work. But when my full time welder/fabricator left a year ago I decided I could do it all myself, and I got way behind as I slowly came up to speed.
At least now I can always vouch for the quality of the results.

rcarson25
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 11 2017, 12:14 PM) *

Is Chris' stuff worth it, yes. Is Rennshifter or Wevo worth it. Yes. All combined worth every penny, if you don't feel like being a fabricator.

Even I who love to fabricate still finds it is less time for the $$$ spent in purchasing quality items to make the process faster.

Oh and welcome.png

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have built quite a few cars and I can fab a lot of stuff. I have found that expensive isn't always the best solution, but sometimes it does. I don't mind paying for quality, which is sounds like Tangerine's products are.

I am new to the 914 word so I don't know the quality from the overpriced yet. Sounds to me that if I decide to upgrade, Tangerine is the place to call!
saigon71
I'd start with a stock setup with new bushings all around. It's really not a bad setup.

If you aren't satisfied with it, you can't go wrong with the Tangerine upgrade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.