Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defrost/fan/heater control
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
The face of the controller has four light sockets. One on each corner.However, there are only three lights that go to it. Which three sockets get light. Also, two are your regular black blue – lights. The third is a red with ground. Does the red one go to the lower right or which one. One other question. What how old the face of the controller against the panel firmly. There does not appear to be any bracket or clamps that go on the backside to pull it flush and hold it in place. TIA, Kent
bulitt
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 15 2017, 04:49 PM) *

The face of the controller has four light sockets. One on each corner.However, there are only three lights that go to it. Which three sockets get light. Also, two are your regular black blue – lights. The third is a red with ground. Does the red one go to the lower right or which one. One other question. What how old the face of the controller against the panel firmly. There does not appear to be any bracket or clamps that go on the backside to pull it flush and hold it in place. TIA, Kent

It is a 73 vent controller, but looks like same as an early model. Believe the control goes through the front of the dash face then single bolt in rear should hold it?

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 15 2017, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 15 2017, 04:49 PM) *

It is a 73 vent controller, but looks like same as an early model. Believe the control goes through the front of the dash face then single bolt in rear should hold it?

Click to view attachment

Ahah! Thx Bob. I did see the threaded bit back there. Appreciate that. beerchug.gif
cary
Kent, 34,35 & 36 into a welded in nut in the firewall.
McMark
Two of the bulb holders are for normal dash illumination. They come on when you turn on the headlights so you can read the panel. Those should be wired with the black/blue wires.

The other two bulb holders are/were intended to illuminate when the heater blower or fan blower are powered. There's only three because in most years they didn't wire the heater blower light. Who knows why. So if you're going for stock wiring there should be a red/white wire, that will go in the blue side.

From my reading of the 75/76 wiring diagram, those cars had three bulbs on the black/blue circuit instead of 2. In that case it's meant to light up the words and the red square when the dash lights are on.

If you want to be cool, figure out how to make the red square light up when the heater blower is on. wink.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2017, 08:56 AM) *

If you want to be cool, figure out how to make the red square light up when the heater blower is on. wink.gif

Run the ground wire for the light into the tunnel and connect it to the heater lever ground. You can use of those double spade connectors. Then just pull 12v from somewhere under the dash. I did that and I felt cool. At least for a minute or two. blink.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 16 2017, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2017, 08:56 AM) *

Run the ground wire for the light into the tunnel and connect it to the heater lever ground. You can use of those double spade connectors. Then just pull 12v from somewhere under the dash. I did that and I felt cool. At least for a minute or two. blink.gif

Winner Winner !
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2017, 05:56 AM) *

Two of the bulb holders are for normal dash illumination. They come on when you turn on the headlights so you can read the panel. Those should be wired with the black/blue wires.

The other two bulb holders are/were intended to illuminate when the heater blower or fan blower are powered. There's only three because in most years they didn't wire the heater blower light. Who knows why. So if you're going for stock wiring there should be a red/white wire, that will go in the blue side.

From my reading of the 75/76 wiring diagram, those cars had three bulbs on the black/blue circuit instead of 2. In that case it's meant to light up the words and the red square when the dash lights are on.

Got it. Thx Mark, Cary & Bob. Mark, totally off subject but about 5-6 years ago you said something to the effect of "keep it metric" when replacing hardware. Didn't realize how sage that advice was until recently. It's easier to use the correct replacement hardware than tote 2 sets of tools around. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.