Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front sway bar question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Went by my local 914 parts (junk) yard and looked under one of his cars, it had a very differnt front sway bar, the bar was not in the traditional spot running under the gas tank, but was attached to the bottom of the front trunk, the links came up under the a-arms and then attached to the stock location on the arm. They must be fairly new since the main bushings on the bar were urethane. Anyone recognize this configuration, is it better, worse...the main bar does seem larger. I did not have my camera or I would have taken pictures.
Gint
Sounds like the under the body 911 bar that some years had. We've discussed here in the past. It's easier to install, probably works as well as a 914 stock bar, but I've seen 914 front trunk floors with stress cracks that resulted from the mounting of that type of bar.
Eric_Shea
74 plus 911 front suspension. 74-77 were "generally" 18mm. 78 and later were "generally" 20mm. The suspension geometry is rumored to be not as good as the through-body types. I didn't realize it attached to the trunk floor. I thought it was the crossbar... confused24.gif
1bad914
I'll try and take a pic. I have a stock bar and can get this one. The car currently does not have one, I was trying to avoid cutting holes for the stock install, been there done that.
Gint
QUOTE (1bad914 @ May 26 2005, 09:05 AM)
I'll try and take a pic. I have a stock bar and can get this one. The car currently does not have one, I was trying to avoid cutting holes for the stock install, been there done that.

You'd rather drill holes in your front trunk floor? wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
I know, I know but... cut the holes. wink.gif
brant
mmmm.....
holes are guud, kay.

(south park)
Eric_Shea
Are these things really attached to the trunk floor? Me no likes that at all, at least not without some serious metal work in the way of additional bracing (ala the rear bar). I thought the crossbars had mounting points.

Good point Brant... holes are guuuuuud biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.