Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone have detailed pics of 74 charcoal canister engine bay mount?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I want to re-install the charcoal canister in my car (it's a 74 with engine location) but can't seem to find clear pics of exactly where / how it's supposed to be mounted.

Thanks!
74ravenna
You have a 2.0, correct?
I have a 1.8, not sure if its the same set up.

Mark Henry
On a '74 there's a stud right above the #3 intake on the rear (trunk) firewall, right at the top lip. The stud is welded on a boss in the sheet metal. The canister has a simple clamp with a mount bracket.
I had to cut my stud off to fit the rain hat for my /6 conversion.

If it's a '73 it would be on top of the fuel tank.
Mark Henry
Search found this, not the best pic but it's in the correct place.
BTW it should be the plastic can as shown in this pic for a 74.

IPB Image
iankarr
Thanks Mark. Looks like the stud is long gone on my car. But at least I now know where it goes. I have the plastic canister and band/bracket.

Click to view attachment
74ravenna
Wow, that engine bay is clean!
Rob-O
I believe it '74 that they also had them hanging off of the battery tray. The clamp is held together with the bolt that is also used with the battery hold down clamp.

Don't have a picture because my car isn't at the house. But could probably find one online...
falcor75
My car was sold in March 1974 and has the cannister ontop of the fuel tank... blink.gif

anyone know if there's a difference between early and late 74 cars?
Shadowfax
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 20 2017, 04:53 AM) *

My car was sold in March 1974 and has the cannister ontop of the fuel tank... blink.gif

anyone know if there's a difference between early and late 74 cars?

Check this out. Lots of good info from Jeff Bowlsby in this post. 1974 charcoal canister locations
AmjadY
Early 74s had them over the fuel tank. Late ones in the engine compartment. Look on top of your fuel tank for scratch marks on the mounting tabs and you might figure out where yours was mounted. Strange that the stud would be broken off the engine compartment.
74ravenna
My 74 was built in late March and has the canister on the trunk wall.
Vin is 4742916366.

Steve
Rob-O
I think the change was around March/April. Mine is Ann april car and it was in the engine compartment. If the small vacuum line is still in the car you should be able to tell from that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.