Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 pop-up headlight replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lybones
Does anyone sell these head light covers for 914s or are they custom made?

I have a set of real HID headlight modules from a Lexus GS 430 that I am going to run in a projection headlight setup. I know they make pop-up replacements for the other cars such as the first generation rx7.

Here's a shop that makes really nice shallow projections.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/headlamps.asp

Mueller
custom.....the 914 is owned by Ed Ducey, username propricer...you might PM him for details

I wonder if the plastic cover changes the lighting pattern????
soupbone
These I think could work in stock buckets but you keep the pop ups. Has high beam and also and DOT legal.
http://www.xesighting.com/products_detail....1&cat=1&prod=94
user posted image
nebreitling
Rice-a-Roni!
lapuwali
There was a topic on this not long ago you should search for. Adding HID lights means upgrading your wiring and adding some extra relays.
lybones
QUOTE (soupbone @ May 26 2005, 03:03 PM)
These I think could work in stock buckets but you keep the pop ups. Has high beam and also and DOT legal.
http://www.xesighting.com/products_detail....1&cat=1&prod=94
user posted image

These are the first I've seen like this, very interesting.

The reason I want the plexi buckets is to get rid of the pop-up look. I just think it would look sleek on a jet black gt.
drew365
In California, you can't have covered headlights unless it's a sealed unit. So plexiglass over any headlight is illegal. I finally took the plexiglass covers off my one car after two CHP tickets.
Joe Bob
Covered headlights are illegal.....hmmmm, what about sealed beams behind glass like my 356 and old bugs?
Mueller
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 26 2005, 04:48 PM)
Covered headlights are illegal.....hmmmm, what about sealed beams behind glass like my 356 and old bugs?

well, those came from the factory that way.....the plastic people buy at TAP Plastics is not optically clear, the light gets diffused and screws up the beam pattern...........
Cap'n Krusty
I was about to point that out. My former boss had to get a letter from Porsche (easy for him, hard for the rest of us) to verify the plexi covers on his 904. Cars originally sold with them are OK. Why give 'em another excuse to stop you? The Cap'n
drew365

If the glass covering is sealed it's okay. I guess the concern is condensation building on the inside of the glass and distorting the headlight beam. I had plexiglass over a sealed headlight and it was a no no. Ferrari 275 GTBs came like this in Europe, but technically the covering is illegal here.
lybones
QUOTE (drew365 @ May 26 2005, 03:55 PM)

If the glass covering is sealed it's okay. I guess the concern is condensation building on the inside of the glass and distorting the headlight beam. I had plexiglass over a sealed headlight and it was a no no. Ferrari 275 GTBs came like this in Europe, but technically the covering is illegal here.

So these cars are okay because the plexi cover and projection lights are completely sealed into "one" unit?

lybones
Here's an Idea. Buying a solid fiberglass hood with no head light pockets and doing something like this. ( just an idea).
TonyAKAVW
There's also a minimum height requirement for headlights in most states. In California I believe it is 22 inches or something like that. I read it once in the vehicle code. I measured my 914 and the top of the headlights meet that requirement. I'm not so sure of having headlights integral to the hood would meet that minimum height.

-Tony
drew365
So these cars are okay because the plexi cover and projection lights are completely sealed into "one" unit?

That's the way I understand it.
FriarJohn
That 914 looks similar to mine back when I first bought it, with the cut-outs in the bumper, but without the glass on top:

user posted image

user posted image

The housings were custom made by a PO. The headlights are 5x7 GM style cheapie halogens.
airsix
If the HIDs are small just mount them in the top portion of the headlight bucket. Then change the geometry of the headlight pop-up linkage to just open them enough to expose the HID bulb/reflector. I think that would be cool. Popups that only popup 3 inches or so.

-Ben M.
lybones
QUOTE (airsix @ May 26 2005, 09:54 PM)
If the HIDs are small just mount them in the top portion of the headlight bucket. Then change the geometry of the headlight pop-up linkage to just open them enough to expose the HID bulb/reflector. I think that would be cool. Popups that only popup 3 inches or so.

-Ben M.

Thanks for all the input everybody. Very interesting ideas. My HID modules are very small, but will need a projector housing of some sort. Here's a pic.
lybones
OOPS, here's the pic
914efi
Sylvania has a product called the X1010 (about to be discontinued) that is an aux HID 'low beam' driving light. You could put them where the fogs go. They have a really cool remote so you don't run wires into the car. ~$350.00
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.