Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Take a road trip in a car that's been sitting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McLovin
Hey guys,

My 914 has been sitting for over a year since I got it. I bought a "turn key" car, but it still needs brakes and an oil leak fixed. Otherwise, it's in pretty good shape. I know my fuel lines are good. But the car has been sitting. And before I bought it, I know it sat a couple years getting cosmetics. So essentially, when I get my car on the road, it will have decent rubber lines and tires, but it will have sat for a few years.

Assuming I change the oil , make sure my battery is up to par and adjust the valves, how worried should I be about taking it out of town on a 200 mile trip? My town is about 200 miles in three directions from interesting big cities, and I know I'll want to use it to go to events out of town. Are these gems reliable? I have a company truck, but I can use for personal stuff but I can't take it out of town.

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
Pull the spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in the cylinders. Then crank it to get the oil flowing. Only then should you try to start it.
iankarr
I'd definitely make sure the brakes are 100% and include fresh gas on the prep list. Unless you treated what was in there with sta-bil. Old gas is no bueno and you may need to drain what's in there.

Try some hour long trips on the roads around your neighborhood first, and if all goes well, then venture further. Def make sure you have a AAA platinum membership, which includes long-range towing if needed.

Yes, these cars can be reliable, but they are 40+ years old and there's always a chance something will give out while you're driving.

Be safe and good luck!
McLovin
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 27 2017, 12:24 AM) *

Pull the spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in the cylinders. Then crank it to get the oil flowing. Only then should you try to start it.

Thanks. Forgot to say that I've been starting it about once a month and keeping it low on gas on-purpose. It's not really dormant. Just not driven.
mgp4591
QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 26 2017, 10:28 PM) *

Thanks. Forgot to say that I've been starting it about once a month and keeping it low on gas on-purpose. It's not really dormant. Just not driven.

Keeping it low on gas in the tank isn't a good idea. Even with small temp changes between day and night, you can get condensation in the tank and water in your gas is not what you want. Fill it, run it a bit and refill to the top. I'd run Sta-bil in it all the time to help keep the gas fresher but avoiding the water to begin with is the way to go.
McLovin
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 27 2017, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 26 2017, 10:28 PM) *

Keeping it low on gas in the tank isn't a good idea. Even with small temp changes between day and night, you can get condensation in the tank and water in your gas is not what you want. Fill it, run it a bit and refill to the top. I'd run Sta-bil in it all the time to help keep the gas fresher but avoiding the water to begin with is the way to go.

Good info. I was going to seek out some marine gas this week, but perhaps stabil makes more sense. I am trying to run it enough to keep the lines clear.

914Sixer
Take it out for a couple of 30 minute runs. Go though and learn what quirks the car may have.
Coondog
Bring a Fire Extinguisher.........
Front yard mechanic
I suggest you take a long trip in a a car sitting , if you stand up you will get bugs in your teeth lol-2.gif
mgphoto
Do all of the major service items in the owners manual, check the brakes thoroughly.
Bring that fire extinguisher, start with short stints, work up to longer distances.
Than drive the snot out of it, the car will love it and so will you!

380K on mine, longest trip cross country 1989, burnt up a wheel bearing in Texas, fixed it in the motel parking lot, still have the Blackhawk hammer I bought with the bearing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 27 2017, 05:16 AM) *
Bring a Fire Extinguisher.........

Unfortunately, this is good advice ...
sad.gif
Andyrew
Watch Roadkill on youtube and you'll get some ideas on what you'll run up against smile.gif
burton73
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Nov 26 2017, 09:27 PM) *

I'd definitely make sure the brakes are 100% and include fresh gas on the prep list. Unless you treated what was in there with sta-bil. Old gas is no bueno and you may need to drain what's in there.

Try some hour long trips on the roads around your neighborhood first, and if all goes well, then venture further. Def make sure you have a AAA platinum membership, which includes long-range towing if needed.

Yes, these cars can be reliable, but they are 40+ years old and there's always a chance something will give out while you're driving.

Be safe and good luck!

When you sine up with AAA Platinum membership it takes 15 to go through. If you had a tow they make you wait 90 days till you sine up and then the 15 days. I had to tow my car to Lemons house and pay $230 and then wait.

Bob B
Racer
Its a 40+ year old car. Plan for the worst (needing a tow) and hope for the best! As mentioned, sort the brakes and get some stabil in there. Maybe doe a regular tune up (points, plugs, condesor if you don't know how old they are) in addition to a few local trial runs to build your confidence in the car.

If you have ethanol fuels, the issue isn't so much the use, its the sitting.. it attracts water and is corrosive when it sits in carbs, fuel injectors etc for long enough periods. Marine fuel would be better if available.

Carry an FE, some spare fuses and depending how handy you are, the appropriate small tools or manuals.
forrestkhaag
Plan for the worst?!! Plan for the best!

Here's the thing all of the posts above are talking about. They know. Some have experienced most of all of it. I know I have.

Coondog is more right than all of us. A good Fireman knows. Bring a good halon fire extinguisher. Always. Charged correctly.

My lovely 356 SC Solex carbed cranking beast of the 70's burst into flames and I had no way to put it out / he gone.............

Pay your insurance. fully

Then pack a really cool picnic basket with two crystal stems / not plastic. Never Plastic...... A select bottle of fine sparkling...... water......... er.......

Prepare a condiment tray (the five compartment type you see at the bar) and, knowing that the under-area of the tray holds ice and water, fill it / with olives of two colors, cheese of two colors, and a selection of your local smoked fish and well spiced and cooked shrimp.

Add Carrs Water Crackers and ten gallons of gas and hit the gas pedal. remember the picnic blanket. You might get lucky..... and not need it for a repair............ Hah!

The rest of your 914 story - is a story, and if it goes as planned, we would only hear the trimmings of your drive and picnic.

But do it. Otherwise, ...... beerchug.gif

Unobtanium-inc
Before you take it on a long trip, take it on 2-3 short ones, like an hour or two. And have a AAA+ card, along with a fire extinguisher. I made the mistake of taking my car to PA and back shortly after pulling it out of storage, made it home on three cylinders, it wasn't fun.
DRPHIL914
agree.gif

I have driven my car on a half dozen trips of 5 hours or more and 2 of 900 miles!!! - that was taking it from SC to Conn to Tangerine racing for work( I only stopped 2x for gas and stretch, drove thru night because it was cooler and less traffic) , then back home afew months later.

But before I did that I had replaced all of my suspension, brakes, bushings bearings etc. so all the safety issues were taken care of, and fuel lines etc all replaced. - SO the state of your car matters. my car has 150k miles on it now and I didn't hesitate to take it to Okteenerfest 5 hours away. but take the test drives etc as suggested, also have an extra petronix unit, points, coil, spare tire, jack, etc triple a AAA , I have Haggarty with roadside assistance and long distance towing , - flares , and take the car and have a great trip. 200 miles I would not hesitate at all , but with all the updating ive done the car is like new mechannicall except for the motor and it has good compression numbers , - sure things can happen but I thing I could have just as great a chance and having an issue with my 2000 BMW 528i that has 253k miles on it! - but again, my car is well maintained, so I would not hesitate with it either.

have a great trip!,

Phil
McLovin
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 28 2017, 11:36 AM) *

agree.gif

I have driven my car on a half dozen trips of 5 hours or more and 2 of 900 miles!!! - that was taking it from SC to Conn to Tangerine racing for work( I only stopped 2x for gas and stretch, drove thru night because it was cooler and less traffic) , then back home afew months later.

But before I did that I had replaced all of my suspension, brakes, bushings bearings etc. so all the safety issues were taken care of, and fuel lines etc all replaced. - SO the state of your car matters. my car has 150k miles on it now and I didn't hesitate to take it to Okteenerfest 5 hours away. but take the test drives etc as suggested, also have an extra petronix unit, points, coil, spare tire, jack, etc triple a AAA , I have Haggarty with roadside assistance and long distance towing , - flares , and take the car and have a great trip. 200 miles I would not hesitate at all , but with all the updating ive done the car is like new mechannicall except for the motor and it has good compression numbers , - sure things can happen but I thing I could have just as great a chance and having an issue with my 2000 BMW 528i that has 253k miles on it! - but again, my car is well maintained, so I would not hesitate with it either.

have a great trip!,

Phil

Thanks, that's good info. As a side note, you stopped every 200 miles or so? How was that? I mean, I can't decide if the car would be terribly uncomfortable because the seats are thin, or reasonably comfortable because you're practically lying down. Are long trips grueling, or just like other cars?

motofoto

I did a Calgary to Portland trip when I bought my last 914, and I was really shocked at how comfortable I was. The car fits me just right, and the seat was more supportive than I was expecting. Great for a passenger too, so roomy over there!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 28 2017, 10:12 AM) *

Thanks, that's good info. As a side note, you stopped every 200 miles or so? How was that? I mean, I can't decide if the car would be terribly uncomfortable because the seats are thin, or reasonably comfortable because you're practically lying down. Are long trips grueling, or just like other cars?

That depends on your butt.

I can and have done 10-12 hours straight in my Nissan Pathfinder and before that in the Hardbody, the seating position works that well for me. On the other hand I can't do an hour in Moms Toyota Highlander before it pinches a nerve making my left leg numb.

I find the 914 seats with a 1.5" bottom pad (autox style) fine for road trips, the girl doesn't. I didn't find a stock pad all that comfortable.

You need to do some shake down runs - drive it to work everyday kind of stuff.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(McLovin @ Nov 28 2017, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 28 2017, 11:36 AM) *

agree.gif

have a great trip!,

Phil

i have rebuilt and recovered my seats with new padding better lumbar support, so very comfortable- i am 6'2", 175, no issues here! i stopped whrn i needed gas, about 350 miles( i get 30+mpg).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.