Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your front oil cooler shrouding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Show one, show all! show me your front cooler pics!

thx fellers
AA
Series9
I think you've seen it:
campbellcj
Here's mine -- extreme overkill, but I could run summer desert enduros without worrying if I ever got to that point. So far I have never seen over 200°F on the gauge even in half hour track sessions in 100+ ambient temps.

The cooler is a giant MazdaSpeed Motorsports unit, fully shrouded with a 32" x 6" intake and exhaust thru the trunk floor. Troutman thermostat, AN-12 lines, Mobil 1 15W-50, factory tank. I usually tape-off most of the intake grille when it's not blazing hot out.

racerbvd
How about a 914-6GT styled one?? I need plans for my conversion
brokenmoped
Here's the home depot approach...
user posted image
Allan
[QUOTE=brokenmoped,Feb 15 2006, 04:36 PM] Here's the home depot approach...
Trekkor help you with that? laugh.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I like the Home Depot approach. Where does the air exit? Got a wider picture?
Elliot
brokenmoped
Aimed right at the rotor...
user posted image
Wild 6
This is what I did with my old 914. Venting through the wheel wells really worked better than the floor pan. I learned that lesson the hard way.

user posted image
Van914
Chris C.
Iwould like to know more about the Madzaspeed oil cooler.

Thanks
van914
Trekkor
Trekkor help you with that?  

That made me laugh. biggrin.gif

Mine-

KT
Marv's3.6six
914-6GT styled one, in CF
Marv's3.6six
And cooler install, hand fab bracket on rubber isolator mounts.
RON S.
Mine is standard fare.

Mazda OC,-16 lines to & from,Canton oil filter on the outlet side,3 cooling fans on the backside,ducted thru the floor.

Ron
RON S.
Cooler itself I've massively re-worked.

I made the end tak removable so as to adjust the baffle-ing and to facilitate cleaning.
RON S.
Backside,

I boxed the area under the oc,and also under the floor pan along the 2 ribs that run front to back under the front floor pan.

You can't believe how structurally stiff the front pan area has now become with those 2 mods.

RON S.
Bottom side.

I programmed a piece from 16GA. steel to effectively box the area.

Basically it turned those stiffening ribs into tubes which are stronger.

Bear in mind these are old pics from a couple years back.

Ron
TimT
ooops wrong car laugh.gif

brant
I've got to do it:
brant
and exit:
maf914
Brant, Your installation is beautiful. Looks great.

Do you get much debris buildup on the outlet screens?
brant
QUOTE (maf914 @ Feb 16 2006, 09:27 AM)
Brant, Your installation is beautiful. Looks great.

Do you get much debris buildup on the outlet screens?

I was worried I might, but actually zero.

I thought I would find rubber packed in there, but when we started doing the cleaning this winter I found only 1 pebble on only1 side, and was able to blow it out with compressed air.

brant
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (RON S. @ Feb 16 2006, 04:05 AM)
Backside,

I boxed the area under the oc,and also under the floor pan along the 2 ribs that run front to back under the front floor pan.

You can't believe how structurally stiff the front pan area has now become with those 2 mods.

Ron,

I'd carefully watch those pancake/tubeaxial fans. I've worked with using those things for 15 years in various cooling capacities. They don't take shock very well since they are designed for cooling computers. Most have only sleeve bearings. I see 2 out of 3 are possibly Pabst EBM brand, but can't read the label. They tend to be the best quality in that category, but we get dead fans all the time from being bumped. Keep an eye on them and verify that they are ACTUALLY running..

Also I I may suggest.. the spaces between the fans and the ends of your heat exchanger ought to be blocked off.. otherwise you'll be recirculating the air between the front hood area and outside.

A better performer, if you can spare the space... build yourself a little manifold at least a couple of inches deep and mount the fans to that instead of directly on the cooler. That will insure even cooling on your whole oil cooler and better efficiency.
slugmika
Mine
user posted image
There's just big holes under the tank and one big in a hood.
user posted image
Its kind of hard to see from this picture because hood is upside down smile.gif

Mika
slugmika
Better one
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.