Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914rubber snorkel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Anyone have pics or tips for installing the 914rubber snorkel in a 4 cylinder? I picked one up in the Black Friday sale and just did a test fit before I snake that onto my wire harness. I know Mark made these a little long so they will work on sixes, but the buckle on my test fit won't do. What have others done to install these in a 4? Cut and glue maybe? unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Wow it does look a bit long...but with the wire loom in it it will be fatter and the bend will fill out a fair bit. Likely this will in effect shorten it and shape it better.
Garland
Here is the link to my original part install:

Snorkel with harness install 1972-4

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 19 2017, 04:50 PM) *

Here is my post install:

Snorkel with harness install 1972-4

So that is a 914rubber snorkel? I looked at your post earlier but assumed that was the genuine Porsche part. Looks great.

Mark makes a good point. I didn't think about how much the loom would hold it straight. I figured there must be something I was overlooking.
Garland
"genuine Porsche part"

Correct
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2017, 06:56 PM) *

Mark makes a good point. I didn't think about how much the loom would hold it straight. I figured there must be something I was overlooking.

Likely you can also make a slight bend to the snorkel/loom to shorten up some length.
A big bundle of wire is going to make it a lot more shapeable.
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Anyone have pics or tips for installing the 914rubber snorkel in a 4 cylinder? I picked one up in the Black Friday sale and just did a test fit before I snake that onto my wire harness. I know Mark made these a little long so they will work on sixes, but the buckle on my test fit won't do. What have others done to install these in a 4? Cut and glue maybe? unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Never quite stayed in place in my six conversion. Not sure why. Same part as yours. Mean to get back to it. If the tubes went farther past the grommet and into the hole it would work better.
bbrock
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 19 2017, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Never quite stayed in place in my six conversion. Not sure why. Same part as yours. Mean to get back to it. If the tubes went farther past the grommet and into the hole it would work better.

I'm still worried how it is going to look even with the wire in. I don't want it to be too puckered. I'm wondering if these might be better offered as a 2-piece kit with some adhesive. If the tube were long and could slip inside the upper grommet, then you could adjust the upper grommet to the right location for your car and glue it in place. Then trim the excess tube as needed. I know I'm too picky, but I'm the guy who color matches the heat shrink on wire splices and adds striping with a sharpie, even when the splice will be covered by sleeving.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
One thing I do when splicing, is to "stair step" your splices.

No matter how seamless you make it, several splices in one location makes for a bulge in the harness, and hard to fish through.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about you smile.gif
Mikey914
WE did make the 1" longer than stock. The reason was to accommodate a 6 mount. They do work but will have a arc in them if used as a stock 4. Yes a little longer, but it's a one size that fits all and many doing a 6 conversion wanted these too, so it was a compromise, but with the wiring in it looks better.
Mark
Mikey914
Any you can cut and overlap. Which is simply rolling the lip back and installing at length desired and rolling it back down overlapping it. (1" is about right)
Mark
bbrock
I played with this a bit over my lunch hour. Snaked the snorkel on and then scrunched it down about an inch short. It's not exactly in the right location, but close, and with the right compliment of wires inside. I lined the top of the snorkel up with the edge of the sleeving to give a visual gauge of how much it is shortened. With a little work, I was able to work the puckers into a somewhat neat roll that will be tucked so far up under the engine shelf that you'd really have to try hard to see. That'll work! smilie_pokal.gif

I think I'll see if I can tidy the roll up a little more and then leave it like that so maybe it will develop a memory to make replicating that roll easier when it is installed in the car.

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 26 2017, 12:13 PM) *

I played with this a bit over my lunch hour. Snaked the snorkel on and then scrunched it down about an inch short. It's not exactly in the right location, but close, and with the right compliment of wires inside. I lined the top of the snorkel up with the edge of the sleeving to give a visual gauge of how much it is shortened. With a little work, I was able to work the puckers into a somewhat neat roll that will be tucked so far up under the engine shelf that you'd really have to try hard to see. That'll work! smilie_pokal.gif

I think I'll see if I can tidy the roll up a little more and then leave it like that so maybe it will develop a memory to make replicating that roll easier when it is installed in the car.

Click to view attachment

Brent Mark is telling subliminally that you should do a -6 .. I know a guy who can help with the parts biggrin.gif

In all seriousness this is good info to know.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 26 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Brent Mark is telling subliminally that you should do a -6 .. I know a guy who can help with the parts biggrin.gif

In all seriousness this is good info to know.

Ha! Would love to, but something miraculous would have to happen to my bank account. beer.gif
mb911
There are still some deals out there..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.