Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Engine Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mph911
There has been a halt in companies making tinware for 914/6. I have heard talk of production starting up from a few companies and would like to know what the latest information is.
Who is making them and when/where will they be available?
SirAndy
Patrick Motorsports has repro metal engine tin but i was not impressed with the quality.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=904651
dry.gif
mph911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2017, 05:49 PM) *

Patrick Motorsports has repro metal engine tin but i was not impressed with the quality.

dry.gif

They have not had any for a while now.
mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2017, 03:49 PM) *

dry.gif

Andy I think that was the old GPR stuff. The only game in town is RD and it is absolutely wonderful..

I will be making a similar setup to GPR sheet metal for CSOBs like me after the 1st of the year

Patrick is said to be working on a set though of there own but imagine their prices will exceed the RD sets..

Even though I will be making my own sets to sell with my heat exchangers,tanks, mufflers, oil line kits, the best is the RD setup as it is better then oem in material quality and looks just like oem..

My sets will be much less expensive but again will not be a competitive option when compared to RD as thats like comparing a prius to a porsche both will get you from a-b but one looks so much nicer.

raynekat
Restoration Design is doing the following:

Front engine cover $250
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP320A
Click to view attachment

Engine cover plate, left $200
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP320AL
Click to view attachment

Engine cover plate, right $200
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP320AR
Click to view attachment

I believe they said the 2 rear pieces are coming next month....

The quality, form and fit is supposed to be identical to factory pieces.
mph911
^^^ Thats what I was after! Good news.
SirAndy
A bit out of my price range but sure purdy ...
unsure.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-6-Engi...E-/263387958196

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 21 2017, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2017, 03:49 PM) *

dry.gif

Andy I think that was the old GPR stuff. The only game in town is RD and it is absolutely wonderful..

I will be making a similar setup to GPR sheet metal for CSOBs like me after the 1st of the year

Patrick is said to be working on a set though of there own but imagine their prices will exceed the RD sets..

Even though I will be making my own sets to sell with my heat exchangers,tanks, mufflers, oil line kits, the best is the RD setup as it is better then oem in material quality and looks just like oem..

My sets will be much less expensive but again will not be a competitive option when compared to RD as thats like comparing a prius to a porsche both will get you from a-b but one looks so much nicer.

But if I can get a 3.6 for my flared car, I will use your tin since it will need to be modified anyway.
porschetub
QUOTE(mph911 @ Dec 22 2017, 12:21 PM) *

There has been a halt in companies making tinware for 914/6. I have heard talk of production starting up from a few companies and would like to know what the latest information is.

Search and read plenty going on HERE ,its a supply and demand issue any kits made with be expensive because of tooling/labour cost not to mention the cost of buying a six motor let alone reconditioning cost,I wouldn't think making these would be a high profit enterprise.
Ben member (mb911) has started,RD in Canada are close ,think both are in the stages,Rich Johnson was one of the original guys doing them and sold to other vendors but I believe but appears no longer.
The set I got with my conversion had custom made side plates and modified 911 pieces front and rear,this is a difficult way to do it and cost the PO of my car a lot of money.
Mark Henry
If anyone wants to make their own tin it's not that hard, just time, rootworks did a thread on it.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15282
I made my own tins by reshaping the 911 side tins, grafting a set of 911 rears to a /4 rear, the front was the hardest to make. I had a set of OE tins to copy from.

If anyone wants my passable homemade front tin I have one, $85 shipped. Patterned it off of an OE tin, was going on my engine then an OE front tin fell in my lap.
mph911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 21 2017, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mph911 @ Dec 22 2017, 12:21 PM) *

Search and read plenty going on HERE ,its a supply and demand issue any kits made with be expensive because of tooling/labour cost not to mention the cost of buying a six motor let alone reconditioning cost,I wouldn't think making these would be a high profit enterprise.
Ben member (mb911) has started,RD in Canada are close ,think both are in the stages,Rich Johnson was one of the original guys doing them and sold to other vendors but I believe but appears no longer.
The set I got with my conversion had custom made side plates and modified 911 pieces front and rear,this is a difficult way to do it and cost the PO of my car a lot of money.

I've been following the making of them for a few years now. I just wanted an update. The RD ones look good and infact I was pushing Ben to make them in another thread not long ago.
Coondog
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2017, 04:19 PM) *

A bit out of my price range but sure purdy ...
unsure.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-6-Engi...E-/263387958196

IPB Image

His price went down, when I talked with Rich earlier this year he wanted $3,900
IronHillRestorations
Now that Restoration Design has come out with theirs, I don't see the factory parts pulling that kind of money. The way RD makes stuff, I doubt if anyone can tell the difference once painted (or powder coated) and on the car.

More power to him if he can get $3900, but it's not like a set of fenders. I've got a set of factory pieces (not NOS though) , with some air nozzles, I'll let them go at a paultry $2500! What a deal eh?? smile.gif

I was looking into getting some fabricated, but since RD has started down the path, I don't see any reason to proceed.

Years ago I did purchase several NOS rear engine tins for 4 cyl, with the intent of using them for making 6 rear pieces, but I never got to it. Need one??
Coondog
I can never say thank you enough times to Perry, beerchug.gif THANK YOU SIR. Have a Merry Christmas.
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Additional 'Last NOS set anywhere'.....x 2
Mark Henry
Not to mention it's a hell of a lot of money for part that you can barely see.
A lot like my gorgeous twin plug dizzy...that you can't even see in a 914. dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 22 2017, 08:02 AM) *

Additional 'Last NOS set anywhere'.....x 2

Rory's part stash is impressive.
peteyd
We are nearly done with all five pieces. There is a fitment issue between two panels that needs to be addressed. (pictured) After that, the whole kit is ready! This has been quite a process. Its one thing to make a single part, but making five, and having them fit perfectly is very tedious. Not to mention that the originals dont even fit 100% perfect.

Also, all the wiring tabs will be welded on.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixaddict
Rich B's prices may be through the roof and only rational if you are building a 100K six but suspect that's what he is looking for.

RD stuff looks pretty nice. Guess I need to sell my real stuff soon....Oops sad.gif too late
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 22 2017, 10:05 AM) *

We are nearly done with all five pieces. There is a fitment issue between two panels that needs to be addressed. (pictured) After that, the whole kit is ready! This has been quite a process. Its one thing to make a single part, but making five, and having them fit perfectly is very tedious. Not to mention that the originals dont even fit 100% perfect.

Pete

originals sure fit a lot better than the (previous) reproduction tin. Glad you're making another part for our cars.

Bumpers next?

biggrin.gif
bdstone914
Will the parts be unfinished metal ? Knowing the fitment is tight can they be powder coated and still fit. Is the steel used a type that resist rust ?

mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2017, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 22 2017, 10:05 AM) *

Pete

originals sure fit a lot better than the (previous) reproduction tin. Glad you're making another part for our cars.

Bumpers next?

biggrin.gif

Yes that would be great..

Also just ordered some parts this morning always a pleasure to do business with RD..
mb911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 22 2017, 07:45 AM) *

Will the parts be unfinished metal ? Knowing the fitment is tight can they be powder coated and still fit. Is the steel used a type that resist rust ?

Looks like galvinele to me
11tenths
This brings up a point I havn't seen discussed very much;

Just how critical is the sealing of the tin to the shelf as far as cooling goes?

One of the things I've done to my car while it's been holding down jack stands these last four years is install the rubber seals for the tins that were missing when I bought it.

blink.gif

-Harry
peteyd

We are using galvanneal. They for sure can be powder coated and still fit. But I would always recommend that you fit the sheet metal to the engine before painting.

Pete
Mark Henry
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 22 2017, 11:03 AM) *

We are using galvanneal.

Pete

Easy way to tell RD in-house made parts, they're unfinished. As long as they're not sitting right in water they don't rust. Nice to not have questionable quality primers as on other panels, makes prep fast and easy.
johnhora
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 22 2017, 08:02 AM) *

This brings up a point I havn't seen discussed very much;

Just how critical is the sealing of the tin to the shelf as far as cooling goes?

One of the things I've done to my car while it's been holding down jack stands these last four years is install the rubber seals for the tins that were missing when I bought it.

blink.gif

-Harry

Harry...

On a street 914 it's VERY important to have the engine bay sealing rubber...it's an approx 3/4in space all the way around the engine....lots of HOT air rising up from the engine and exhaust system below.

On a race/track car not so much...you're not sitting still very often, the rear trunk floor is many times gone, and anything not needed is extra weight to a race car.

914 Rubber makes a kit
https://900designs.zoeysite.com/engine-compartment-seal-set
very resonable price!

11tenths
Thanks John- The PO used to trailer the car, so I guess it didn't spend much time sitting still once running... rolleyes.gif

-HB
raynekat
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 22 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Rich B's prices may be through the roof and only rational if you are building a 100K six but suspect that's what he is looking for.

I'd say not even rational for a real 100k six.
Remember the 914-6 motor mount he was selling that was a POS and all welded up for obscene amounts of money.
I think it just speaks to the seller. JMHO

Luckily we have RD now that will make better than factory six sheet metal that looks exactly like it.
I'd rather have the RD sheet metal than any factory metal.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 22 2017, 07:05 AM) *

We are nearly done with all five pieces.

first.gif

Nothing but net! Nothing but quality from R-D!
sixnotfour
NOS engine tin there is early / late,, the difference is the notch to view the flywheel timing marks..later does not have it...
I have both versions
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 23 2017, 12:55 PM) *

NOS engine tin there is early / late,, the difference is the notch to view the flywheel timing marks..later does not have it...
I have both versions

I had no idea. Cool info.

peteyd
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 23 2017, 09:55 AM) *

I have both versions

I guess we made the early tin

Pete
IronHillRestorations
Easier to cut out a notch than fill it in smile.gif
bigkensteele
I just pulled out my tin that I bought years ago on a group buy or some other special. I don't think that I had ever even pulled it out of the box until tonight. Turns out it is the old GPR kit. I bought it on 12/1/2010 for $300 and paid an additional $50 for powder coating.

I don't have a factory kit to compare to, but the quality seems decent. If anyone would like to borrow it to recreate, you can PM me.
gms
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 22 2017, 09:05 AM) *

Pete,
I am volunteering to put your 914/6 engine sheet metal on my engine and test it out
biggrin.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 23 2017, 07:47 PM) *

I just pulled out my tin that I bought years ago on a group buy or some other special. I don't think that I had ever even pulled it out of the box until tonight. Turns out it is the old GPR kit. I bought it on 12/1/2010 for $300 and paid an additional $50 for powder coating.

I don't have a factory kit to compare to, but the quality seems decent. If anyone would like to borrow it to recreate, you can PM me.

Thats a very nice offer.. I have samples that I will build off of .. Again mine really are not competition for RD just very inexpensive option that won't be even close to as nice as theirs.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 23 2017, 12:55 PM) *

I have both versions

The right rear part has two versions as well,
Stick or Sporto.
Pic. on Tuesday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.